CAP Search and Rescue Gear Questions

Started by chickenjoe, February 19, 2011, 07:54:06 PM

chickenjoe

Hello I was wondering what you guys used for the antiseptic ointment and antiseptic wipes in you 24 hour gear first aid kit. And also any tips about Ground teams school would be nice
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

Spaceman3750

Just go buy a tube of Neosporin and call it a day.

School: http://nesa.cap.gov - Now's the time to apply.

Major Lord

I carry the "Safeway Brand" generic ointment with Polymyxin B, Bacitarcin, Neomycin, and Pramoxine HCL. Antiobiotic plus pain relief. I generally squeeze some into a 10 Ml syringe, and cap it; less bulk than the whole tube, and its an easy way to apply it topically. With a needle, you can drain a blister and push in a little of the ointment to make your foot happier. Please note I mean to place the ointment into into the broken blister compartment. Friends don't let friends inject topical ointments into their skin.

Off the shelf clean up wipes are not generally antibacterial, but they do a good job doing what they are supposed to do. They also make great trail markers, since animals won't touch fresh ones ( except my miniature Australian shepherds, but they know no taboos)

I strongly suggest a tube (or syringe) of hydrocortisone cream as a treatment for all those things that like to bite, eat ,sting or scratch us, and cause allergic reactions. ( that can be bad)

Major Lord,
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

LTC Don

Generic neosporin ointment is good, and cheaper than neosporin brand, and the antiseptic wipes come in several genric brands as well.  CVS or Rite-Aid carry those items in the first-aid sections of the store.  Not sure about Wal-Mart but they may carry similar items near the Pharmacy area. Antiseptic wipes usually come in boxes of 25 or 50, so they last a long time.   There is an expiration date to pay attention though, and they should be rotated out of your gear, if nothing else, because eventually they will dry out.

The ground team school is an intensive weekend, designed to push through as many of the SQTR tasks for ground team member 3 before the weekend is over.  Sign-in occurs on Friday night, and you will have to set up your tent/shelter site that evening.  GTM trainees spend the night in the field both Friday and Saturday night.  Task completion and sign-off will occur Sunday morning.  Some tasks can be signed-off Saturday night, depending on how well the schedule has been followed, and depending on weather. >Important: Read through the task guides prior to attending the school, to become familiar with the tasks, and what will be expected.  The Ground Team Reference text on the NESA website is a pretty good read, so take some time to go through that resource.  http://www.nesa.cap.gov/curriculum_material/GSAR/GTRT.pdf

In 2008, it rained all weekend, and the temps were pretty cold all weekend, so the schedule was a real challenge that year. It really tested ow well everyone was equipped to deal with the inclement weather. 2010 went pretty well, but temps got below freezing Friday night so everyone had a nice coating of frost on their tents on Saturday.  The key here is to be prepared since our seasons are in transition in late March and you just never know what the weather is going to be like.

The great thing about the school is that there will be members from all over the wing, all there getting training for their first time as well, so by the end of the school, many friendships will be made that will probably last a lifetime.  You'll be seeing these same people at other activities so it is amazing how small your world will become the more activities you attend.  8)

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

chickenjoe

Thanks guys, Also does Search and Rescue School cover basic first aid and other basic courses? If not where can I find those courses?
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

Spaceman3750

Quote from: chickenjoe on February 23, 2011, 02:10:58 PM
Thanks guys, Also does Search and Rescue School cover basic first aid and other basic courses? If not where can I find those courses?

NESA Basic Ground Team school will teach you basic first aid. Otherwise, I would recommend Red Cross First Aid or AHA Heartsaver First Aid - for what we do both are equal. If your squadron works with an ARC or AHA instructor to host a class you might be able to get a better price.