Combination
0 (0%)
Other, Please Explain
2 (5.1%)
Not Assembled
3 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 39

GTCommando

This poll came around a few years back, but I'm curious, so I thought I'd bring it back to life. I keep mine in (on) the bedroom closet, but I'm going to move it to the truck once we get some lockable containers, as gear can get pricey. How do you guys do things?
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

tsrup

Quote from: GTCommando on October 05, 2010, 03:25:02 AM
This poll came around a few years back, but I'm curious, so I thought I'd bring it back to life. I keep mine in (on) the bedroom closet, but I'm going to move it to the truck once we get some lockable containers, as gear can get pricey. How do you guys do things?

so now you're trying a thread resurrect without the thread...

Paramedic
hang-around.

GTCommando

^I figured a thread not posted in since '08 wouldn't be seen all that much. Besides, I've taken a lot of heat for my recent spurt of necro posting (Can someone explain that term?).
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

IceNine

Posting to dead threads.

The statistics posted in that thread aren't going to provide valuable data for any conceivable purpose.  This is another thread for the purpose of a thread.

Just to not be a total rectal sphincter.  Garage if I plan to be near my home, truck if not.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SarDragon

necro-, the Greek prefix meaning death
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Same thing.. I have a half height cabinet near the front door, the L-Per, pilot bag, HT's, for airband and capband are there, SQTRs, papers, etc. If I'm in the local area, and available - it's close enough to go get what I need. If I'm elsewhere and think I'm going to be available, I'll put what I need in the car otherwise - no missions. 

CommGeek

Ive got all my gear packed in my 2008 Ford police interceptor ex-cop car with my red lights and siren ready to go.... oh yea, i have my polo shirt, and my Glock in the center console too...  :)   ....Sarcasm....

Spaceman3750

Quote from: CommGeek on October 05, 2010, 11:56:09 AM
2008 Ford police interceptor ex-cop car

Except there's no such thing as a 2008 EX-cop car ;). At least not where I'm from. 98, maybe  >:D

Al Sayre

I keep our GT stuff in a big plastic trunk in the garage.  I can throw it in the truck and go if I need it, just need to fill the camelbacks.  As an IC & MP, I generally don't do much GT stuff anymore, although I maintain my quals.  My vehicle has a CAP Radio and a 1500W inverter, so I can use it as a mobile/remote Mission Base.  I also keep a hand held CAP radio, an L-Per, and a Sat phone and my flight gear in the vehicle.  All I need to run a mission is my laptop and cell phone which are always with me.  I usually end up giving someone the L-per, hand held & Sat phone while I sit at home, mission base, or in the truck and run it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Krapenhoeffer

ES-types store their gear in lockers at the Armory where the squadron meets.

My uniforms live in my landlord's pathetic idea of a bedroom closet.

Laptop lives in a black backpack that I keep with me.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

manfredvonrichthofen

Mine lives in a dedicated small room (mud room) at the back door ready to go. Currently I am the squadron ES Officer training for my GTM3 and soon GTL. The family only has one vehicle and my wife would kill me (Horrifically slaughter is more of the term) if I were to mount a CAP radio in it.

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 08, 2010, 05:21:19 AM
Mine lives in a dedicated small room (mud room) at the back door ready to go. Currently I am the squadron ES Officer training for my GTM3 and soon GTL. The family only has one vehicle and my wife would kill me (Horrifically slaughter is more of the term) if I were to mount a CAP radio in it.
Time to invest in on one that uses the car's "power port", and a magnetic base antenna.  ;)

manfredvonrichthofen

I can hear it now (demonic looming voice from the sky as it turns blood red) "Your magnetic antenna scratched my van, blood will flow forth" Hahaha.

I would still have to put in a mount for the radio though wouldn't I?

arajca

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 08, 2010, 12:25:43 PM
No. Just wedge it between the seats, between the seat and console, or place on seat or console. The speaker on the EFJs is front firing.

I'd recommend using the lighter port rather than a power port. The light ports generally have a higher amp rating. You'll also need to operate the radio on low power - high power through either port tends to shut the radio down due to lack of power available. If you can, an alternative would be to wire in a power lead from the battery that can be tucked away in the glove box when not in use - fuse it for 15a and you're set. (Bonus - when the boss needs to run something, the power is available...)

N Harmon

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on October 08, 2010, 05:00:03 AM
ES-types store their gear in lockers at the Armory where the squadron meets.

My uniforms live in my landlord's pathetic idea of a bedroom closet.

Laptop lives in a black backpack that I keep with me.

I was wondering how many people kept their gear at the squadron HQ. I have been considering that since any possible call out will have me going straight there anyway.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: arajca on October 08, 2010, 01:48:51 PM
No. Just wedge it between the seats, between the seat and console, or place on seat or console. The speaker on the EFJs is front firing.

I'd recommend using the lighter port rather than a power port. The light ports generally have a higher amp rating. You'll also need to operate the radio on low power - high power through either port tends to shut the radio down due to lack of power available. If you can, an alternative would be to wire in a power lead from the battery that can be tucked away in the glove box when not in use - fuse it for 15a and you're set. (Bonus - when the boss needs to run something, the power is available...)

What about one of those power converters that go from the cigarette lighter and and amplifies the power to that of a wall outlet? I know alot of the radios come with the cigarette lighter plug on them already, but some do have the outlet plug. Would that take care of the low power setting and not make me have to run a line direct to the battery? Also, does anyone have the material for the ACUT course? I would like to start looking over it soon before the squadron does an ACUT course so that I have an understanding already.

arajca

You're talking about an inverter. It does not amplify the power, it changes it from DC (Direct Current) to AC (Alternating Current). The radios run on DC power. A power suppy, needed when operating a mobile radio as a base station does the opposite.

The direct line is optional. If your radio has a cigarette plug adapter on it, try it. You may be able to use high power, depending on the age of the vehicle. My cigarette lighter jack puts out 18 amps, my friend's puts out 10 amps. Changing between hi and low power on the radio is a matter of pushing the button located above the mic jack.

To prepare for A-CUT, take the Communications Technician Test online. An updated A-CUT test was just released yesterday to the wing DCs.

manfredvonrichthofen

SarDragon

I have been largely unsuccessful using a properly fused cig lighter outlet for EFJs. The fuse value (15A) is usually too close to the max power draw of the radio (12A) to last very long. The fuse elements degrade after getting temp cycled a few times, then just give out.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Quote from: SarDragon on October 08, 2010, 08:29:34 PM

I have been largely unsuccessful using a properly fused cig lighter outlet for EFJs. The fuse value (15A) is usually too close to the max power draw of the radio (12A) to last very long. The fuse elements degrade after getting temp cycled a few times, then just give out.
Hence the low power recommendation - draw 8A.