Latest improvements to McChord Rack Builder - Need Your Help

Started by baronet68, July 29, 2019, 12:50:46 AM

baronet68

I'm not a web programming expert by any stretch of the imagination... so improvements to the McChord Rack Builder take time. 

After working on it for almost a year, I've finally figured out a way to display overlapping mini-medal images so they can appear as they sould be worn on the Mess Dress uniform.  I've also recently added a historic side to he tool which displays the award ribbons that were available during a specified year.

I'm inviting everyone to please visit, try to break the page, and share any feedback you may have.

http://www.mcchord.org/rack_builder/
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Jester

Quote from: baronet68 on July 29, 2019, 12:50:46 AM
I'm not a web programming expert by any stretch of the imagination... so improvements to the McChord Rack Builder take time. 

After working on it for almost a year, I've finally figured out a way to display overlapping mini-medal images so they can appear as they sould be worn on the Mess Dress uniform.  I've also recently added a historic side to he tool which displays the award ribbons that were available during a specified year.

I'm inviting everyone to please visit, try to break the page, and share any feedback you may have.

The Air SAR ribbon and mini medal are different. On the mini medal it showed up with a white stripe in each edge of the ribbon.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Jester on July 29, 2019, 04:50:33 AM
Quote from: baronet68 on July 29, 2019, 12:50:46 AM

The Air SAR ribbon and mini medal are different. On the mini medal it showed up with a white stripe in each edge of the ribbon.

The Unit Citation has the same issue. (A Unit citation with a medal is an entirely different matter). But that's just the way they are, have been since the mess dress was first authorized for CAP. The reasons for the white edges were never made clear, as far as I know.

The IACE medal differs also. It doesn't match the current ribbon. It doesn't even match the old ribbon. It could be described as "inspired by the original IACE ribbon."

But, none of this has anything to do with the excellent rack builder. They are simply quirks of long standing. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Jester

Interesting, I just assumed it would be like every other medal/ribbon combo and use the same fabric.

I looked at Vanguard and there it is, plain as day. I wonder where that discrepancy originated.

PHall

Quote from: Jester on July 29, 2019, 03:14:32 PM
Interesting, I just assumed it would be like every other medal/ribbon combo and use the same fabric.

I looked at Vanguard and there it is, plain as day. I wonder where that discrepancy originated.

We could answer that question for you, but I think you already know the answer. ::)

Camas

Say what you will. This site has been around for years and has been a phenomenal resource. My hat is off to those who've created and maintained this site.

PHall

Quote from: Camas on July 29, 2019, 05:43:51 PM
Say what you will. This site has been around for years and has been a phenomenal resource. My hat is off to those who've created and maintained this site.

That would be the OP of this thread. :clap:

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: PHall on July 29, 2019, 03:36:55 PM

We could answer that question for you, but I think you already know the answer. ::)

I'm not sure of the answer. It definitely pre-dates any affiliation with Vanguard.

When the medals came out, back in the 70's, there was a lot of talk about difficulties in manufacturing. I don't remember it all, but the miniature ribbon drapes were sourced from a different manufacturer than were the medals.  One or the other of them was in Britain. Lots of people asked about the addition of the white stripes (and about a medal for a unit citation, as that was highly unusual).  Nobody I know ever received a viable answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

MSG Mac

The design of the medals vastly predate Vanguard and CAP-MART.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 30, 2019, 06:42:56 AM

The design of the medals vastly predate Vanguard and CAP-MART.

The Lee Ragan reference shows that miniature medals came about around 1969, when SMs were authorized to wear the mess dress uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret