Meeting Times

Started by abysmal, March 10, 2005, 11:44:59 PM

abysmal

Question:

What are your normal weekly meeting times?

how much extra time per week to you spend on CAP?

How far do you travel to your meeting?

========
We are currently meeting from 7:00-9:00pm on Monday nights.
Last week I asked all of the Cadets if they would be willing to change the meeting time from 7:00 to 6:30 so we could squeeze in another 30 mintues of BADLY needed time. Much to my surprise 26 of 29 said NO, not interested... I was surprised to say the least.

2ndly they complain ALOT about having to drive out to the meeting location at the city Airport. I would guess the average distance is a whopping 10 mile drive. Doesn't seem like much to me, but there is much complaining about the distance.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Horn229

1. 7pm - 9pm

2. Anywhere from 0-5+ hours. Use to be double-triple that, but now I'm in a different squadron, with a different position. :)

3. About 20 or so miles, should take me about 30minutes with traffic/speed limits, I usually have it down to 20-25 minutes though. ;D

10 mile drive and their complaining? I know people who drive 1.5hrs to their squadron meeting every week.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

abysmal

Thanks.
I tend to think they are whinning big time.
But I really need to see what is the norm out there these days.
Most of my Cadets are under 16 and have to get rides to the meeting.

MIKE

Quote from: abysmal on March 10, 2005, 11:44:59 PM

Wednesday nights 1845 to 2130.
Previous Squadron met Tuesday nights 1800-2100 with essential staff arriving at 1730.  That's how it was prior to my transfer anyway.

Do you mean actual work which directly relates to my duty assignments within my squadron (Which isn't a whole heck of a lot and is spread out over the weeks and months.)  Or do you mean to also include time spent on CAPTalk, Squadron Command and CadetStuff (Which is a large chunk of time.)

Both units to which I have been assigned have been no more than 20 minutes driving time each way... My current unit is actually closer mileage wise but uses mostly rural roads as opposed to highways.  There are no units closer to my home.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

I am starting to think my cadets are SERIOUSLY spoiled....

As for total time, yes, all time spent during the week on anything CAP, including the time we are spending on this board right now.

Schmidty06

1.  In 35 minutes, actually.  1830 to 2100 every Thursday night

2.  CAP fills my life with what could be a well paying job, instead.  I'd say maybe 20+ hours a week at least goes into planning and thinking about CAP activities.

3.  3-4 miles

Oh, and in Montana, if whatever you are going to isn't in town with you, it's an easy 15-20+ miles down the road.  Drive times are a fact of life, your cadets need to get used to this.

abysmal

Quote from: Schmidty06 on March 11, 2005, 12:58:01 AM
1.  In 35 minutes, actually.  1830 to 2100 every Thursday night

2.  CAP fills my life with what could be a well paying job, instead.  I'd say maybe 20+ hours a week at least goes into planning and thinking about CAP activities.

3.  3-4 miles

Oh, and in Montana, if whatever you are going to isn't in town with you, it's an easy 15-20+ miles down the road.  Drive times are a fact of life, your cadets need to get used to this.

THANKS!

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal
Question:

1. My squadron (a composite sq) meets weekly on Wednesdays from 7 to 9pm.  Most people arrive at 6:45, as people need to put their materials in the classrooms, sign-in, and be ready and in flight for opening formation at 7.  They are released usually within a minute or two of 9pm and can go straight home, though many hang around and socialize or get other business done for up to a half hour afterwards.

My Group meets once a month on the 3rd Thursday also at 7pm, though the time of the meeting varies.

2.  I spent quite a bit of time each week on CAP.  Between Cadet Programs stuff (such as CAC, programming, emails) and squadron things such as maintaining the website, working on the squadron banquet, etc. - I can easily spend 10 hours a week working on CAP-related things.

3.  When I'm home (and not in Albany where I am now), my squadron meets approximately a 13 minute drive from my home.  It's in the same suburb, too, so it's not in a neighboring town or anything.   My Group HQ meets about 15-17 minutes away and involves use of an Interstate highway for me to get there.   I consider both of those locations very close and couldn't ask for them to be any closer.

I know my squadron has people that drive much farther than I.  There was a C/CC at our unit who used to drive 1-1/2 hours one-way each night to make meetings.  There are those who drive between 20-30 minutes to get to our squadron, too.  No complaints heard yet.

:)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

Thanks.
I am beginning to get a feel for whats going on out there in the rest of the CAP world.

Greg

Quote from: AbyssQuestion:

1900 to 2100.  For staff, most of us drift in anywhere between 1730 to the meeting time (except our awesome CDC who comes at like, 1600).  Staff usually stays up to an hour afterwards.

Quote2.

When we were preparing for NCGC, probably about 30 hrs.  Currently, I'm not attending meetings because I'm going to EMT school which conflicts with meeting times, and I'm spending about two hours or so a week working stuff.

Quote3.

A little less than a mile.   ;D

(used to be exactly a half-mile, but we switched airports)
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

abysmal

Thanks.
The format on this board is SOOO much easier to read than over on Cadet Stuff..

The Admiral

1. What are your normal weekly meeting times?
Thursday from 1830-2030

2. How much extra time per week to you spend on CAP?
Including shopping?  6 extra hours for CG training.

3. How far do you travel to your meeting?
About 15 minutes across town.

I think that's it.

-Steven
Cross into the Blue!

Major_Chuck

1.  Monday's 7-9

2.  How many hours in the week are there???   ???  Roughly spend 10 to 12 hours/week.

3.  15 minutes.

Question:

Sounds like you've got some attitudes.  Unfortunately you'll never make everyone happy.

========
We are currently meeting from 7:00-9:00pm on Monday nights.
Last week I asked all of the Cadets if they would be willing to change the meeting time from 7:00 to 6:30 so we could squeeze in another 30 mintues of BADLY needed time. Much to my surprise 26 of 29 said NO, not interested... I was surprised to say the least.

2ndly they complain ALOT about having to drive out to the meeting location at the city Airport. I would guess the average distance is a whopping 10 mile drive. Doesn't seem like much to me, but there is much complaining about the distance.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

abysmal

thanks guys.
Still trying to build a consensus of what most squadrons and CAPers are doing.

Horn229

Quote from: Horn229 on March 11, 2005, 12:19:50 AM
1. 7pm - 9pm

2. Anywhere from 0-5+ hours. Use to be double-triple that, but now I'm in a different squadron, with a different position. :)

3. About 20 or so miles, should take me about 30minutes with traffic/speed limits, I usually have it down to 20-25 minutes though. ;D

10 mile drive and their complaining? I know people who drive 1.5hrs to their squadron meeting every week.

Now that I think about it, when I factor in ES stuff altogether, at least another 5 hours for it, (planning SAREX's and finding mission sites, along with people to set up those mission sites (that is I'm the GBD)). I'm getting ready to start a GT training 'course for my squadron to get them all up to GTM level 1 over the course of the next 6 months- the end of the year (need the mission numbers), so that'll be adding in at least another 5 hours to plan out the class outlines and get supplies/set up practical exams.

So now for #2 it's gonna be changing to like 10-15hrs a week.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

abysmal

Maybe its better NOT to pay too much attention to just how much time we all invest in CAP.