New Clue in Amelia Earhart Story

Started by sardak, April 01, 2007, 02:22:46 AM

sardak

A previously unknown diary of a reporter sent to cover Earhart's and Noonan's landing at Howland Island was bought off eBay last fall by a member of TIGHAR (The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery).  The reporter, James Carey, was a student at the University of Hawaii hired by AP.  The diary doesn't give any earth shaking news, just more insight into the disappearance.

An article about the diary has been released by the Associated Press.  One link to the article can be found on TIGHAR's website:

http://www.tighar.org

Lot's of interesting items on the website.

Mike

JohnKachenmeister

It has been a while, but I thought there was substantial evidence that Earhart and Noonan were killed by the Japanese?
Another former CAP officer

sardak

Reading today's newspaper article is the probably the most I've known about the Earhart disappearance.  Doing some simple research on the Internet, theories are:

Earhart and Noonan were abducted by aliens.

Earhart and Noonan were captured by the Japanese.

Earhart returned to the US and lived under an assumed name.

The pair crashed north- northwest of Howland Island, their destination. The plane sunk into the Pacific, some 17,000 feet deep in the area.  Hypothesis of Elgen Long, published in a book in 1999.

The pair made a forced landing on Gardner (now Nikumaroro) Island southeast of Howland Island, and died there, having been missed by searchers.  This is TIGHARs hypothesis.

There isn't substantial evidence supporting any of the theories.  TIGHAR has done the most research, and so gets the most media coverage.  Proponents of each theory do their best to discredit the others.

One can choose the theory of his/her liking.

Mike

Major Lord

Hey, what about the one that Amelia was a Nazi spy? (That was my personal favorite) My only gripe with Amelia is that like all the "other" female CAP AE award namesakes, she was a somewhat lackluster success story. We really could not find  better role models for female cadets than MF and AE?

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

JohnKachenmeister

Right.

I personally favor Pancho Barnes.

Major Lord

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 02, 2007, 04:24:14 PM
Right.

Hooah! Any Females out there in AE that are not famous for being: lost, immolated, or just existing? How about wonder-woman! We could have an AE award because she had the first stealth aircraft....

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RogueLeader

I'm surprised that there aren't more oceanographic missions to look for her plane.  I know its a huge area, but imagine the feelings of finding it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

thefischNX01

Quote from: sardak on April 02, 2007, 03:17:14 AM

Earhart and Noonan were abducted by aliens.

What?  You don't think so? ;)
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

BillB

Aliens? I don't think so. In reality, ir was a black van from Maxwell. (Maxwell Army Airfield at the time)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JohnKachenmeister

I know CAP didn't exist then.  Did Maxwell Field even exist?

JohnKachenmeister

It did.  The airfield was purchased by the government in 1918 and named for a down-home Alabama boy killed while flying over France in World War the First.

Fifinella

Quote from: CaptLord on April 02, 2007, 06:21:08 PM
Right.

Hooah! Any Females out there in AE that are not famous for being: lost, immolated, or just existing? How about wonder-woman! We could have an AE award because she had the first stealth aircraft....

Capt. Lord
What about Jackie Cochran or Sally Ride?
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Major Lord

Quote from: Fifinella on April 03, 2007, 04:27:23 PM
Quote from: CaptLord on April 02, 2007, 06:21:08 PM
Right.

Capt. Lord
What about Jackie Cochran or Sally Ride?

Okay, I would vote for Jackie. Sallie was an "Equal Opportunity" astronaut to some degree, since we needed a non-dead woman as an astronaut.
She was apparently a pretty fair tennis player.

Capt. Lord

TankerT

Right.

Um.  She was just a little crude for a role model doncha think?

Don't get me wrong.  Great aviator...

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Major Lord

Quote from: TankerT on April 03, 2007, 06:37:46 PM
Right.

She may not have been the paragon of virtue, chastity and abstinence that the first astronauts were....... wait a minute, strike that...

JohnKachenmeister

Which astronauts were you about to refer to... the ones who drank at Pancho's bar, featured in "The Right Stuff," or the ones who drive for 10 hours in a diaper to confront their love rival, featured in the new Lifetime drama series:  "NASA, The Untold Story?""

smj58501

Quote from: TankerT on April 03, 2007, 06:37:46 PM
Right.

That makes her an even better choise. I would not say crude... independent, headstong, and to the point maybe. I only wish i could have visited the "Happy Bottom Riding Club" in its heyday
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

SarDragon

Speaking of our dear departed Florence, here's a web site all about her.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Lord

Quote from: SarDragon on April 04, 2007, 06:40:18 AM
Speaking of our dear departed Florence, here's a web site all about her.

Great Website and good info!  I did not know she founded a Union though, might have to verify she was not a Russkiy sympathiser before canonizing her with an AE award...

Capt. Lord

(Florence is Pancho LT...Kids these days!)