Main Menu

promoting

Started by yangsiyui, September 08, 2016, 03:01:58 AM

yangsiyui

I joined CAP in October last year i'm a c/a1c now and I just realized that I have ranked over 4 cadet airm an and one basic and they have been there allot longer than I have. My comander wants me to get sargent by the end of the year. Any tips?

Eclipse

Welcome to CAPTalk.

As you progress, you will find that proper grammar and punctuation will serve you well, and your written
words will be taken more seriously by adults.  You'll have SDAs, speeches, and reports to complete.
Best to start exercising those skills now, especially here.

If I did the math right, there are only 16 full weeks left in CY2016.  You don't indicate when you last promoted,
so whether it's even mathematically possible to achieve that in the remaining weeks is hard to say.

The end of the year tends to remove meetings from the calendar, so to speak, for holidays, vacations, and
other end-of-year unit activities.  So again, whether it's possible in your unit depends on their testing schedule and
the calendar for the remainder of the year.

Make sure to get your PT done in the first test - practice, practice, practice.  Try to give yourself a margin of
time or reps in case you have an off day when you test.

Stay on top of the online tests and ask your TCO if they can be handy should you need the system reset.

Ask for help with the drill if you aren't clear or are struggling.

You don't have a lot of time for do-overs if the end of year is your goal.

You should also consider any limiting factors you have in regards to testing or understanding that have keep you from progressing
farther in your first year.  Based on the calendar, you really should have achieved at least Feik by now, so if anything besides initiative held
you back, ask for help with those issues.

Also, bear in mind that Wright Brothers is a Milestone, so it is a closed-book test that requires the TCO be present in order to take it, which may be a factor
in the scheduling. It is also online, but the TCO must log in with you to insure test integrity, he will also need to access the drill portion from his secure testing module.

"That Others May Zoom"

almostspaatz

Some initial thoughts:
-Study
-Read, understand regulations and manuals (especially drill and uniform)
-Practice
-Use the Personal Cadet Tracker (it's on Capmembers.com under new cadet help). Use this to set goals and keep track of what you still have to do to promote.
-Study
-Develop your leadership skills, discuss how you can improve with a mentor (CDC, C/CC,Leadership officer, etc)
-Stay motivated, think about why you want to be in CAP, Why you want to excel, etc. It won't always be easy, you won't pass every test on the first try, but stay focused on your goal.
-Study
-Ask questions...there are a lot of smart people out there (Too bad they aren't on CAPTALK ;) jk)... Seriously though, talk to people in your unit or people here who can help you on your cadet career, there are many of us that are happy to help where we can. (Feel free to PM if you ever have any questions or need any advice)

I'm sure I'll think of more things later ...Glad to see you excited, keep it up! Good job so far, You're promoting record really says something about your motivation even if the others around you aren't motivated at all. (after you get to Feik, come back for Wright brothers test tips.)
C/Maj Steve Garrett

yangsiyui

Sorry for type os (if that's how you spell it) I'm using a phone that ceeps changing and adding words and leaters.

(Going to try and get a new one soon)

yangsiyui

Also I was sapost to have my drill test but I was the only cadet who showed up all thru summer so that is why I am a1c now...

Eclipse

Quote from: yangsiyui on September 08, 2016, 03:42:39 AM
Also I was sapost to have my drill test but I was the only cadet who showed up all thru summer so that is why I am a1c now...

Certainly something well out of your control, but more in comment to other CAP leaders reading this - holding back a cadet's
progression because you are unable to motivate other cadets to attend your meetings is unfair to the cadet(s) showing up.

Kudos to this cadet for being the "only one".

If no one else is there, odds are this cadet isn't getting the mentoring and motivation he deserves, but assuming he's found a way
to learn the drill, Ach 3's test only requires 4 cadets total to complete - if your cadets can't be bothered, find cadets elsewhere, or
send the one you have that's there to another squadron for testing.

That or grab 3 seniors and have them fall in.

CAP does not grind to a halt in the summer, if your unit does, that's a serious issue that needs to be addressed.
(Again, not this cadet's fault or problem).

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: yangsiyui on September 08, 2016, 03:39:03 AM
Sorry for type os (if that's how you spell it) I'm using a phone that ceeps changing and adding words and leaters.

(Going to try and get a new one soon)

Typo, it's a shortened slang for typographical error.