CAP anti-sub manuevers in 1949?

Started by RiverAux, December 03, 2011, 09:55:28 PM

RiverAux

Ancestry.com has opened up for free searching a bunch of their WWII records (for a limited period of time).  After checking a few family things I plugged in CAP.

Found a Aug 9, 1949 edition of Stars and Stripes that had a story about a CAP plane crashing off NY in what was described as an anti-submarine maneuver.  Apparently several other CAP planes were out with it and one dropped a life raft that the 2 CAP members got in before being rescued by the CG. 

I've never come across any information about CAP continuing any sort of anti-sub work after the WWII anti-sub patrols.  I wonder if this was something the local CAP guys came up with on their own or whether the AF actually encouraged CAP to keep up some anti-sub skills just in case. 

jks19714

Judging from some of the submersibles being used by drug runners, maybe it is time to get those manuals back in print.

john
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

PHall

Quote from: jks19714 on December 05, 2011, 10:03:09 PM
Judging from some of the submersibles being used by drug runners, maybe it is time to get those manuals back in print.

john

Bad, bad, bad, bad idea. Drug smugglers believe in shooting first and asking questions later.

Getting your cessna riddled with bullets out over the ocean does not sound like a good idea.  Big time ORM fail!

RiverAux

Ah, just like all those MJ growers that have successfully shot down many CAP planes over the last 30 years...

FLWG Historian

Any chance the original Ancestry article could be posted here?

RiverAux

Stars and Stripes may be available somewhere else online

jimmydeanno

It's $4.95 for a single day access to the Stars and Stripes Archive:  http://starsandstripes.newspaperarchive.com/
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

sarmed1

Quote from: RiverAux on December 06, 2011, 02:16:55 AM
Ah, just like all those MJ growers that have successfully shot down many CAP planes over the last 30 years...

Likely the difference is that MJ plots are a passive drug operation, ie it just sits theres and grows, once its "ripe" you harvest it.  Boats/subs would be an active operation..ie someone is there at the time actively trying to get away from you as part of the plan.... amore likelyhood of them offering a deterent to you presence.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SJFedor

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 29, 2012, 04:13:38 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 06, 2011, 02:16:55 AM

Likely the difference is that MJ plots are a passive drug operation, ie it just sits theres and grows, once its "ripe" you harvest it.  Boats/subs would be an active operation..ie someone is there at the time actively trying to get away from you as part of the plan.... amore likelyhood of them offering a deterent to you presence.

mk

Agreed. This is one thing better left to the professionals in the orange helos who have nice toys to return fire if need be.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

LTC Don

Quote from: SJFedor on October 03, 2012, 03:01:13 AM
Agreed. This is one thing better left to the professionals in the orange helos who have nice toys to return fire if need be.

Kinda like this  8)  8)  8)  (Not the Coasties, but still uber cool.)

Royal Navy captures 13 Somali pirates

:clap:
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Critical AOA

Why capture pirates?  Send them to Davy Jones' locker.  >:D
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

bosshawk

SARMED1:  apparently you haven't done MJ recon with CAP or else you live in a different part of the world.  I flew dope for 15 years in CAWG and have seen literally hundreds of gardens.  They are occupied and tended almost constantly by folks who intend to reap the profits from the ripened plant.  Here in CA we arrest hundreds  (mostly illegals) who are brought up here by the Mexican cartels to tend the gardens.  They live in the gardens(not well or in great comfort) until they are taken out by their cartel bosses.  They have weapons and they use them: not usually on airplanes as that is a sure way to get an LE visit.  In fact, I don't recall any of the LE helos being shot at, either.

Point: raising MJ isn't a passive occupation.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777