CAP Colonel in the crowd on MSNBC

Started by Maj Ballard, January 20, 2009, 05:44:52 PM

Major Carrales

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on February 01, 2009, 01:18:41 AM
Quote from: PHall on February 01, 2009, 01:15:10 AM
How was it not a CAP event?

While I'm in full support of a member wearing their uniform to an event like this (iwth proper permission, of course) - "CAP event" in my mind says an event being organized and carried out by and for the CAP.  The inauguration - to me - is simply a civic event, with CAP people (or a CAP person) in attendance.

The Inauguration is a civic event, to which one should ask and recieve permission to attend in uniform.  I should like to see more good uniformed representation of our membership at various Civic events.

People are always complaining that CAP is "invisible" and no one "knows who we are," then, with the same type strokes, support a low profile.

At the 2007 PAO Conference then Brig Gen Amy Courter made statements supporting the more frequent public wear of CAP uniforms.  A debate then began on the regs that seemed to prevent or curtail it.

Until we can come to terms with our uniforms and the public, we will never be able to get the simple recognition that even the Boy Scouts have.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

There isn't really anything to debate -- if there is a civic event where you think CAP participation might be appropriate, ask permission and if given, go.  No big deal. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on February 01, 2009, 02:33:44 AM
There isn't really anything to debate -- if there is a civic event where you think CAP participation might be appropriate, ask permission and if given, go.  No big deal. 

I agree, however there seems to be some here that seem to be arguring that even that is somehow inappropriate.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Well, making the call on whether the particular event is appropriate for CAP is always going to rest with the commander and I suppose not every commander would view every event the same. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: RiverAux on February 01, 2009, 03:04:06 AM
Well, making the call on whether the particular event is appropriate for CAP is always going to rest with the commander and I suppose not every commander would view every event the same. 

Could that be addressed in CAPP 151 as for what would constitute an appropriate event?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

We've already got a listing of places where CAP uniforms cannot be worn, which seems clear-cut enough for me. 

Cecil DP

Funny, there wasn't this much comment when a member posted pictures of his wearing Mess Dress on a cruise. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Major Carrales

Quote from: Cecil DP on February 01, 2009, 06:11:27 PM
Funny, there wasn't this much comment when a member posted pictures of his wearing Mess Dress on a cruise. 

I must fully agree.  This is gone far enough.  The man represented CAP on likely the most watched television program for that day.  He was professional, wore his uniform well and is a living legend in aviation far beyond the CAP world.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 01, 2009, 06:35:48 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on February 01, 2009, 06:11:27 PM

I must fully agree.  This is gone far enough.  The man represented CAP on likely the most watched television program for that day.  He was professional, wore his uniform well and is a living legend in aviation far beyond the CAP world.

And who's going to tell an aviation legend, Col Boyd, that he's misrepresenting CAP? (which he wasn't)  Some folks need to get serious.  How about telling Col Feik that she can't wear all that junk on her blazer?  She's a nice lady and a aviation legend, but her uniform is a mess.  No takers? 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Gunner C on February 02, 2009, 02:44:28 AM
How about telling Col Feik that she can't wear all that junk on her blazer?  She's a nice lady and a aviation legend, but her uniform is a mess.  No takers? 

Actually there was a SM that told Mary Feik that she couldn't wear the Feik achievement ribbon on her blazer.  Apparently, she didn't earn it...  (insert eye rolling smiley here...)

"I'm sorry Mr. Armstrong, I'm not sure that you're authorized to wear the Neil Armstrong Achievement Ribbon...you actually have to earn that you know..."

I don't know about you, but my lips are sealed.   :-X
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

stratoflyer

What? This isn't locked yet?

Ok. Here come my 2 cents:

>:(

Ok?  Here it again.

>:(

Honestly, some people...
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

pixelwonk