CAP Colonel in the crowd on MSNBC

Started by Maj Ballard, January 20, 2009, 05:44:52 PM

flyguy06

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 21, 2009, 04:23:55 AM
Question..... if it was a CAP'er, and he was in a CAP uniform (AF style or Corp.) wouldn't that person be in violation of regs?? Wouldn't that be considered a political support statement?  I personally don't care one way or another, today is a big day in our nation, only happens every 4 years.  I just thought we were not supposed to attend political events in uniform.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you seriously asking this question? This wasnt apartisan event. thats what that statement means. We cant show support of a particular party. This is a function for all Americans. There is nothing political about an inauguration. its for the people oif the nation

flyguy06

Iwas at the Inauguration and it was great. I have talked to COL Boyd but have never met him. I wish I had known he was there. I didnt even know the Tuskegee Airmen were honored guests. They were part of the motorcade travelling behind the President-elect onhis way to the Inauguration. I think that was very historic and classy.

JC004

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 23, 2009, 05:30:45 AM
Iwas at the Inauguration and it was great. I have talked to COL Boyd but have never met him. I wish I had known he was there. I didnt even know the Tuskegee Airmen were honored guests. They were part of the motorcade travelling behind the President-elect onhis way to the Inauguration. I think that was very historic and classy.

You were?  Should have told me...

flyguy06

were you there? I wish I had known. I stayed with my sister who lives in Maryland. it was cold but very enjoyable. I had on my army thermals so my body was ok, it was just my nose and cheeks that were freezing. it took five hours to get back onthe train to go home. The line alone was a 1.5 hour wait.

JC004

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 23, 2009, 02:40:31 PM
were you there? I wish I had known. I stayed with my sister who lives in Maryland. it was cold but very enjoyable. I had on my army thermals so my body was ok, it was just my nose and cheeks that were freezing. it took five hours to get back onthe train to go home. The line alone was a 1.5 hour wait.

Was indeed.  See above photo, complete with the freezing nose and cheeks you mention.  I got there in the morning and stayed until after dark.

JohnKachenmeister

Hobbs:

You are making a good point, and that is always something to consider when dealing with politicos, but the inauguration is a public event, paid for with tax money.  Any person may, whether or not he or she voted for the new president, come to witness the swearing in.  (Although supporters and contributors get the best seats).

Attending a public event intended to elevate our sense of patriotism and appreciation of American values, is, in my humble and probably meaningless opinion, an appropriate venue for us to wear our uniforms.
Another former CAP officer

flyguy06

COL Boyd is also a Tuskegee Airmen(Not sure if he is an original one or not) and they were invited tothe ceremony. So he probably just wore his uniform.  Ithought it was cool

RickFranz

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that while in Washington DC a CAP member should wear their uniform.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

davidsinn

Quote from: RickFranz on January 24, 2009, 03:12:07 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that while in Washington DC a CAP member should wear their uniform.

I think what you read was (paraphrase)"When in DC while in uniform the uniform shall be Service Dress or equivalent."
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1.all CAP personnel touring Washington DC, as part of a CAP activity or
conducting CAP business in the metropolitan area,
will wear the service
uniform, civilian clothing, or the blazer and slacks or skirt combination,
and will be properly groomed. Senior members visiting the White
House, Capitol, State Department, or comparable buildings in uniform
will wear the service uniform with service coat (service dress uniform)
or blazer uniform. Cadets are not required to wear the service coat. In no
case will BDUs, flight suits, or utility uniforms be worn.
Mike Johnston

Flying Pig

Quote from: MIKE on January 24, 2009, 04:18:38 PM

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1.all CAP personnel touring Washington DC, as part of a CAP activity or
will wear the service

Wheeew....Thank God, for a second I thought I had to go naked!  Thanks for the clarification. ;D

DG

will wear the service

How do we define the Washington DC "metropolitan area"?

Does it include Andrews AFB?  I think not.  Or flight suits would be not worn at Andrews.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DG on January 24, 2009, 07:59:27 PM

will wear the service

How do we define the Washington DC "metropolitan area"?

Does it include Andrews AFB?  I think not.  Or flight suits would be not worn at Andrews.

The Spirit of the Regulation is that when you visit the Capitial City you demonstrate a professional, somewhat formal look. So, if you visit, oh say...the Lincoln Memorial, White House or Capitol, you wear service dress .  This is a more formal appearance as opposed to wearing a field unifrom, like BDUs or a flight suit.

There are times for Service Dress...going to DC is one of them.

No disrespect to flield uniforms, but I imagine BDU clad groups of CAP officers visiting the Jefferson Memorial might look more like a defense force or, worse, invading occupying force. Where as service dress would like like a group of persons visiting their Nation's Capital to honor the decorum of the Federal City.

I once spoke with a retired legislator that told me that he flet that testifying before a legislative body ina field uniform was risrespectful and that he once pulled aside an officer and tolf him to wear service dress the next day.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 23, 2009, 05:24:14 AM
Question..... if it was a CAP'er, and he was in a CAP uniform (AF style or Corp.) wouldn't that person be in violation of regs?? Wouldn't that be considered a political support statement?  I personally don't care one way or another, today is a big day in our nation, only happens every 4 years.  I just thought we were not supposed to attend political events in uniform.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you seriously asking this question? This wasnt apartisan event. thats what that statement means. We cant show support of a particular party. This is a function for all Americans. There is nothing political about an inauguration. its for the people oif the nation

But the question was, was he out of REGS?
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

lordmonar

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on January 31, 2009, 06:23:25 AM

And the answer is No...the inauguration is NOT a political event.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: lordmonar on January 31, 2009, 07:05:51 AM

Yeah but it is not a CAP event.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Major Carrales

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on January 31, 2009, 07:11:02 AM

One can secure permission from their various levels of command to wear a uniform for an event.  Representing the Civil Air Patrol at a Presidential Inauguration would me one such event.  Seeing that he is also a Colonel on the National Staff, I imagine your premise is moot.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

No, his premise is correct. Just because he is a Col on national staff doesn't mean he gets to decide what is or is not a CAP event.  I'll assume that he did get proper permision and if so was properly wearing the uniform.  No way for us to know. 

PHall

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on January 31, 2009, 07:11:02 AM

How was it not a CAP event?  Our PA folks were knocking themselves silly proclaiming how CAP was supporting the Inaugural.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: PHall on February 01, 2009, 01:15:10 AM
How was it not a CAP event?

While I'm in full support of a member wearing their uniform to an event like this (iwth proper permission, of course) - "CAP event" in my mind says an event being organized and carried out by and for the CAP.  The inauguration - to me - is simply a civic event, with CAP people (or a CAP person) in attendance.