CAP Colonel in the crowd on MSNBC

Started by Maj Ballard, January 20, 2009, 05:44:52 PM

Maj Ballard

Did anyone else see the CAP Colonel in the inauguration crowd on MSNBC? It was during the benediction. African American fellow.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

MIKE

Mike Johnston

tjaxe

Yeah, wasn't that pretty cool seeing a CAP member on National TV!   :D

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

BuckeyeDEJ

I THINK that's Col. J. Delano Ellis, a chaplain from Cleveland. Pretty sure he's also the chief chaplain for the U.S. Army Cadet Corps.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

jimmydeanno

I saw it too.  I glanced up during lunch and saw the epaulet sleeve.  Can see those things from a mile away!  YAY CAP!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

NIN

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 20, 2009, 05:57:03 PM
I THINK that's Col. J. Delano Ellis, a chaplain from Cleveland. Pretty sure he's also the chief chaplain for the U.S. Army Cadet Corps.

Looking for a screencap now... Anybody with a hint as to where in the benediction it was?

I know Col Ellis, so if it was him, I'll know him instantly! :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jimmydeanno

Don't remember exactly when, but the camera was on him for a good 10 seconds...

EDIT:  Full frame, not just some random person in the audience. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jimmydeanno

NIN

Nope, not COL J. Delano Ellis II, Chief of Chaplains for the US Army Cadet Corps, because in CAP, COL Ellis is Lt Col J. Delano Ellis.   

Sources report that is Col Boyd, the either current or past KS Wing Commander.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

FW

Yes, the shot is of Col. George Boyd.  He was KsWG/CC unitil 2004, CAP/NC until 2005 and current Urban Affairs Officer for CAP.  A very good picture indeed.

Nathan

He couldn't make it out to one of our annual awards banquets, but he could make it to Obama's little welcome party?

Pshaw.

;D
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

jimmydeanno

A little background...

I was just told that he is a Tuskegee Airman.  I would assume that he recieved a formal invitation to the event - even awesomer! <-Yes, I know, I know...

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 20, 2009, 07:32:45 PM
A little background...

I was just told that he is a Tuskegee Airman.  I would assume that he recieved a formal invitation to the event - even awesomer! <-Yes, I know, I know...

Wasn't there a "Volunteer" magazine article about him a while back?  I seem to recall something about a Tuskegee Airman in a high-up leadership position with CAP.

Nathan

He was indeed a Tuskegee Airman. I attended a couple of lectures from him about it.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

CFI_Ed

Quote from: Nathan on January 20, 2009, 07:58:45 PM
He was indeed a Tuskegee Airman. I attended a couple of lectures from him about it.

He was the guest speaker at the NFA-OK graduation dinner last year.  Very nice guy.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Hobbsh1

Question..... if it was a CAP'er, and he was in a CAP uniform (AF style or Corp.) wouldn't that person be in violation of regs?? Wouldn't that be considered a political support statement?  I personally don't care one way or another, today is a big day in our nation, only happens every 4 years.  I just thought we were not supposed to attend political events in uniform.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

KyCAP

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 21, 2009, 04:23:55 AM
Question..... if it was a CAP'er, and he was in a CAP uniform (AF style or Corp.) wouldn't that person be in violation of regs?? Wouldn't that be considered a political support statement?  I personally don't care one way or another, today is a big day in our nation, only happens every 4 years.  I just thought we were not supposed to attend political events in uniform.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would say that it is semantics of a political event (pork and bean fund raising dinner) vs. a function of government (government legislative sessions).  Otherwise, the Winter Boards would all be out of reg to visit their reps and congress people.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: KyCAP on January 21, 2009, 04:31:19 AM
Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 21, 2009, 04:23:55 AM

I would say that it is semantics of a political event (pork and bean fund raising dinner) vs. a function of government (government legislative sessions).  Otherwise, the Winter Boards would all be out of reg to visit their reps and congress people.

Not to mention that all those members of the .mil marching around...
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Cecil DP

I would consider it a civic event. The prohibition against wearing a uniform for political events is to avoid the perception that the military or CAP supports a particular candidate, party, or activity. Attending the inauguration is showing support for the President and the country. If i were a "Political event" you wouldn't have had thousands of military members of all services and components working for 6 months to support it.  
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Hobbsh1

Real military sometimes does not have a choice in the matter, I mean after all the President is the Commander in Chief.  I see the "perception" point of view and that was what I was getting at.  I try to make sure that politics is NOT brought up at our meetings for two reasons.... I'm sure no one wants to hear my political views and I don't want to hear someone else's in that setting.  Thank you for the input to my question.  :)

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG