New CAP Membership Card makes me sick!

Started by mikeylikey, September 05, 2007, 11:11:29 PM

Eagle400

Quote from: PaulR on September 08, 2007, 03:48:55 PMWhy is this upsetting?  All of our other branches of service are preceded in title by, "US".   I dont see the issue...

It's upsetting because it's the result of a decision made to change the name of the organization without changing the CAP Constitution & Bylaws and USC first.  These two documents dictate what names the organization shall use.

Quote from: CAP Constitution, Article IINAME AND STATUS
The name of the Corporation shall be "Civil Air Patrol" and its status is that of the volunteer civilian auxiliary of the United States Air Force. The Corporation may also be referred to as "Civil Air Patrol" or by such other titles as may be approved in the Bylaws.

Quote from: CAP Constitution, Section IINAME AND CORPORATE SEAL
2.1 The name of Civil Air Patrol may be stated by any of the following:
a. "Civil Air Patrol"
b. "Civil Air Patrol, incorporated under Special Act of Congress approved July 1, 1946, Public Law 476, 79th Congress"
2.2 Each unit, including National Headquarters, shall use a name expressing its designation, the words "Civil Air Patrol" and may also refer to its status as the United States Air Force Auxiliary as set forth in regulations.

Quote from: 14 USC 4036The corporation has the exclusive right to use the name "Civil Air Patrol" and all insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, descriptive or designating marks, words, and phrases the corporation adopts. This section does not affect any vested rights.

Quote from: 20 USC 9442a) Volunteer Civilian Auxiliary. - The Civil Air Patrol is a volunteer civilian auxiliary of the Air Force when the services of the Civil Air Patrol are used by any department or agency in any branch of the Federal Government.

Emphasis mine. 

None of these documents refer to "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" or allow for the use of that name in any document or title.  In order to legally use "U.S. Civil Air Patrol", the Constitution & Bylaws and USC would have to be changed to include "U.S. Civil Air Patrol."

docspur

I personally would be proud to be right along side the US ARMY, US NAVY, US AIR FORCE, US MARINES, US COAST GUARD  with a US CIVIL AIR PATROL.  But....  Since we are US AIR FORCE AUXILIARY, CIVIL AIR PATROL then the extra US becomes redundant.

US AIR FORCE AUXILIARY, US CIVIL AIR PATROL?  Nope, doesn't work.

Capt D

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

TankerT

Quote from: tedda on September 08, 2007, 02:32:07 AM
Quote from: TankerT on September 07, 2007, 07:25:59 PM

I have never been laughed at, or been snickered at. 

Not by them, at least.  :P

... in reference to my ID card anyway...

/I like Snickers... and Kit Kats too...

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

rdmcii

When I was a cadet (upper Ice Age) South Korea had a CAP too. We hosted IACE cadets from there. Their wings were just like ours, only larger.

Bob

docspur

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing