Main Menu

CAP Tirades

Started by CAPDCCMOM, April 07, 2016, 06:03:46 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 11, 2016, 02:38:07 AMThe only reason Chief Eldridge is review all of them....is because the NCO promotion system is so new, the rules are not all published and we (CAP and NCO committee) are still working out the bugs in the system.

Why would this involve anything "unpublished"?  This is talking about a military equivalence promotion.

This should be treated no differently then an officer-level military equivalence.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Which is different (as published) for NCOs.   One of those changes we made that we can't get published.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 11, 2016, 04:44:42 AM
Which is different (as published) for NCOs.   One of those changes we made that we can't get published.

Even if you can't get it incorporated into the regs, it should be pushed out via the RSS or a direct email to the CCs.

If things have really changed and the NCOs are operating under (effectively) double-secret rules, then
the angst is appropriate and it should be turned up.

The regs are the regs, anything else is just making it up on the fly, and should be a sustainable complaint.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Military promotions are nothing new. NCO appointments and promotions should not be complicated at all. Just follow the same process we do for military officers. Problem solved.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 11, 2016, 12:40:20 PM
Military promotions are nothing new. NCO appointments and promotions should not be complicated at all. Just follow the same process we do for military officers. Problem solved.

But there are new rules. But they are unpublished.

JeffDG

Quote from: DoubleSecret on May 10, 2016, 03:10:12 PM
Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on April 07, 2016, 06:03:46 PM
Hello All,

I am very bored at work. Looking for the best of the best CAP Tirades. Points to be given on form, content, and multiple conflicting and contradictory regulations.

The gauntlet has been CAST

CAPR 35-5:  Members who meet the eligibility requirement (grade equivalent to the grade held in the active duty military, Reserve or National Guard, completion of Level I, serve six months in CAP) may assume a CAP NCO grade equivalent to their military grade upon presentation of documentation to the unit commander, who forwards the CAPF 2 to NHQ for processing.

Reality:  NHQ makes you route it through the entire food chain for the grade sought despite their own publication.  They can follow new rules, you see, but they can't publish them because reasons.
NHQ's role on these promotions should be administrative/ministerial.  The regulations do not vest discretionary authority to NHQ on these things.  They should simply input the CAPF 2 into the system, not send it to other people for review.

JeffDG

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 11, 2016, 02:26:45 PM

If it's not written down (published), they don't exist.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JeffDG on May 11, 2016, 03:06:53 PM
Quote from: DoubleSecret on May 10, 2016, 03:10:12 PM
Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on April 07, 2016, 06:03:46 PM
Hello All,

I am very bored at work. Looking for the best of the best CAP Tirades. Points to be given on form, content, and multiple conflicting and contradictory regulations.

The gauntlet has been CAST

CAPR 35-5:  Members who meet the eligibility requirement (grade equivalent to the grade held in the active duty military, Reserve or National Guard, completion of Level I, serve six months in CAP) may assume a CAP NCO grade equivalent to their military grade upon presentation of documentation to the unit commander, who forwards the CAPF 2 to NHQ for processing.

Reality:  NHQ makes you route it through the entire food chain for the grade sought despite their own publication.  They can follow new rules, you see, but they can't publish them because reasons.
NHQ's role on these promotions should be administrative/ministerial.  The regulations do not vest discretionary authority to NHQ on these things.  They should simply input the CAPF 2 into the system, not send it to other people for review.

Somehow wings have been able to get in the middle of this and mess things up too.

THRAWN

Quote from: JeffDG on May 11, 2016, 03:07:22 PM

If it's not written down (published), they don't exist.

Unpublished G-14 classified rules aren't going to win the hearts and minds of the membership. I realize that the program is new and new procedures are being developed and fielded, but they should not be fielded before they're in writing. That just smacks of all of the ills that CAP has ever been accused of.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

KASSRCrashResearch

Quote from: Thonawit on April 07, 2016, 06:34:50 PM
Uniform non Uniformity - How many different uniforms and uniform interpretations did you see at the last SAREX...

I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

MacGruff

There are definitely some "bugs" in the system. I submitted the paperwork for a current Active Duty senior members who wants stripes on a form to NHQ. Have heard nothing for over two months. Called and found out that they 'lost' the paperwork and asked why I mailed it in? Suggestion was to email it to LMMForms. That is now done. Waiting a few weeks to follow up on that one...

Maybe it's not that the form was 'lost'. Maybe the new and unpublished meetings of the secret cabal to determine how many stripes to offer the new SM is what is holding things up???     >:D >:D >:D

MSG Mac

My Wing put out a request for applications for Wing Command Chief with a deadline of 31 Oct 15. Still haven't selected the CCMSGT despite there being only 1 application, a retired Army MSgt (E-8). With service in Vietnam, Iraq, and HQ CENTCOM. His CAP service includes Wing DP for 10 years, Group Commander, and Squadron Commander in two wings. MG Vasquez, Chief Eldridge, Region and Wing Commanders, not to mention NHQ staff, the NCO program is going to die on the vine from apathy on the behalf of the Chain of Command.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Storm Chaser

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 12, 2016, 09:55:59 PM
My Wing put out a request for applications for Wing Command Chief with a deadline of 31 Oct 15. Still haven't selected the CCMSGT despite there being only 1 application, a retired Army MSgt (E-8). With service in Vietnam, Iraq, and HQ CENTCOM. His CAP service includes Wing DP for 10 years, Group Commander, and Squadron Commander in two wings. MG Vasquez, Chief Eldridge, Region and Wing Commanders, not to mention NHQ staff, the NCO program is going to die on the vine from apathy on the behalf of the Chain of Command.

It's not apathy. We're still trying to figure out what these NCOs are supposed to do. I drank the cool aid and appointed one, but have yet to figure out what to task him with. There's been practically zero guidance from above.

etodd

Uniform non Uniformity - How many different uniforms and uniform interpretations did you see at the last SAREX...

I saw quite a few variations at my first SAREX a couple weeks ago.

But the funny thing is ... proper uniforms or not ... the missions were all accomplished and successful.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Luis R. Ramos

Wow, I am surprised!

With the importance that some people here give to the uniform, you would believe that having all participants in the same uniform, at least to the tune of 99.999999999, is key to being successful on missions!

:o

Not!

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: etodd on May 12, 2016, 10:39:09 PM

But the funny thing is ... proper uniforms or not ... the missions were all accomplished and successful.
[/quote
If someone can't figure out how to properly wear a uniform, how can I be sure they don't slack on their skills too?

DoubleSecret

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 12, 2016, 09:55:59 PM

I thought the command chief position wasn't one you could promote a SMSgt to fill, you had to have someone already holding CMSgt.  Of course, the secret rules might vary.

etodd

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 12, 2016, 11:38:12 PM

If someone can't figure out how to properly wear a uniform, how can I be sure they don't slack on their skills too?

I agree 100% for Cadets. For them its teaching them attention to detail.  Decades older you can prioritize. LOL

How many SAR Missions are delayed an hour or maybe even more because folks had to drive 30 minutes home to change clothes and then 30 minutes or more to the airport? Or maybe most folks keep uniforms in each car they drive? Maybe some Squadrons have lockers for uniforms near the planes?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: etodd on May 13, 2016, 02:19:36 AM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 12, 2016, 11:38:12 PM

I agree 100% for Cadets. For them its teaching them attention to detail.  Decades older you can prioritize. LOL

How many SAR Missions are delayed an hour or maybe even more because folks had to drive 30 minutes home to change clothes and then 30 minutes or more to the airport? Or maybe most folks keep uniforms in each car they drive? Maybe some Squadrons have lockers for uniforms near the planes?

We need to be in uniforms on a mission. No reason for the uniform to be wrong.

etodd

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 13, 2016, 03:12:19 AM

We need to be in uniforms on a mission. No reason for the uniform to be wrong.

No problem. I just was wondering if anyone had ever done a study on our response time for SAR.  If I was near the airport and got called for a search and then had to spend an hour or more getting back home for my uniform ... I would sure feel guilty if the search was successful, but the 'rescue' was too late. I don't guess thats ever happened ... or was documented at any rate. Fortunately in my area, the police and sheriff's helicopters would be first responders. They can get airborne in mere minutes. We come along after.

We keep detailed records on 'wheels up' and 'starting search' times. Surely Hdqs has done a study at some point on our response time. But it may not be public info, but would be interesting to see and analyze.