Main Menu

Who is the CAP Posterboy?

Started by Major Carrales, January 17, 2007, 06:25:31 AM

SarDragon

My sweetie used to work for MDA, and we, either individually or collectively, have been doing telethons off and on since 1986.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

afgeo4

Ok, so can we all agree that Jerry Lewis is the best spokesperson we can come up with for the Civil Air Patrol in the 21st Century?
GEORGE LURYE

Lancer

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 04:16:49 PM
Ok, so can we all agree that Jerry Lewis is the best spokesperson we can come up with for the Civil Air Patrol in the 21st Century?

AFAIC, if anyone should be a 21st Century 'posterboy' (so to speak) for CAP, my vote goes to Maj. Nicole Malachowski, pilot of Thunderbird 3.

edited to correct rank. - Mark

afgeo4

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on January 31, 2007, 04:43:57 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 04:16:49 PM

AFAIC, if anyone should be a 21st Century 'posterboy' (so to speak) for CAP, my vote goes to Capt. Nicole Malachowski, pilot of Thunderbird 3.

She's a poster girl for USAF already and not a CAP member... although she does look good on posters.
GEORGE LURYE

Al Sayre

She is a former Cadet, and would make an excellent spokesperson for CAP.  She spent about an hour talking to the Cadets at the Columbus AFB airshow last year.  I've got some good pictures of her with my daughter and the other Cadets.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

afgeo4

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 31, 2007, 04:59:39 PM
She is a former Cadet, and would make an excellent spokesperson for CAP.  She spent about an hour talking to the Cadets at the Columbus AFB airshow last year.  I've got some good pictures of her with my daughter and the other Cadets.
Spokesperson work is usually done best by someone who's a member already or you run into a situation like:

"Join such and such! They're great!"
- "How long have you been a member of such and such?"
"Oh, I'm not a member, I just want you to join."
- "Oh yeah, hold on, lemme take out my checkbook... PSYCH!"

or situation like:
"Join such and such! They're great!"
- "How long have you been a member of such and such?"
"Oh, I used to be a cadet of such and such and look at me now! I'm a combat pilot!"
- "Great, so if my daughter joins such and such she'll go into the military? I don't think so!"
GEORGE LURYE

MIKE

AFAIC, if anyone should be a 21st Century 'posterboy' (so to speak) for CAP, my vote goes to Capt. Nicole Malachowski, pilot of Thunderbird 3.

IIRC she is a Major now... from the last picture I saw.
Mike Johnston

afgeo4

Anyone know of a Spaatz cadet who is a prominent member of CAP today? At NHQ level perhaps?
GEORGE LURYE

dogden

BTW Nicole Malachowski is now a Major, has been since at least summer of 2006. She is a great spokeswoman for CAP and enjoys being around cadets. I had the great pleasure of getting Mary Feik and her together at the Hill AFB airshow 2006, the powers that be had to practically pull them apart from telling stories and talking. It was a great time to see such wonderful CAP type women having a good time.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

MIKE

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 05:06:40 PM
Anyone know of a Spaatz cadet who is a prominent member of CAP today? At NHQ level perhaps?

Curt LaFond IIRC.
Mike Johnston

Lancer

Quote from: MIKE on January 31, 2007, 05:04:48 PM

IIRC she is a Major now... from the last piture I saw.

Doh, my bad.  ;D

And to address those that say because she's not an active member she can't represent CAP, I say 'Phooey'. She's a product of the CAP program, she's very proud of her time in CAP and gives her time greatly when she can, talking to CAP cadets.  Besides what's to say we can't bestow an honorary membership upon her anyways?

afgeo4

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on January 31, 2007, 05:12:14 PM
Quote from: MIKE on January 31, 2007, 05:04:48 PM

IIRC she is a Major now... from the last piture I saw.

Doh, my bad.  ;D

And to address those that say because she's not an active member she can't represent CAP, I say 'Phooey'. She's a product of the CAP program, she's very proud of her time in CAP and gives her time greatly when she can, talking to CAP cadets.  Besides what's to say we can't bestow an honorary membership upon her anyways?
Well... if we had to bestow one onto her, we'd have to bestow one onto all the other Thunderbirds. They are a team. While we're at it, what about that female A-10 pilot who was able to fly her wrecked and shot up bird safely back to base in Iraq? Shouldn't she get one? She was a CAP cadet. How about every pilot who was a CAP cadet? How about every pilot who was a CAP cadet in ALL of the military? Well, why would we leave out non-rated officers? Lets give out memberships to everyone who was a CAP cadet and is now in the Military.

Wait, they get paid a very good amount of money. They could probably afford their memberships if they wanted to be members. They probably don't want to be members because they have no time to devote to our organization and don't want to let us down. That's probably it.

As far as Maj Malachowski goes... she is a Thunderbird, and thus a recruiter and postergirl for the USAF. She cannot be an official postgirl for CAP at the same time as we are different organizations with different missions. Perhaps after she's done with her tour with the 'Birds... Since she was the first female and all... Although I think her records as a cadet would need to be reviewed. We don't know if she was such an outstanding member of CAP in her time.
GEORGE LURYE

Lancer

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 05:20:25 PM
Well... if we had to bestow one onto her, we'd have to bestow one onto all the other Thunderbirds. They are a team. While we're at it, what about that female A-10 pilot who was able to fly her wrecked and shot up bird safely back to base in Iraq? Shouldn't she get one? She was a CAP cadet. How about every pilot who was a CAP cadet? How about every pilot who was a CAP cadet in ALL of the military? Well, why would we leave out non-rated officers? Lets give out memberships to everyone who was a CAP cadet and is now in the Military.

Wait, they get paid a very good amount of money. They could probably afford their memberships if they wanted to be members. They probably don't want to be members because they have no time to devote to our organization and don't want to let us down. That's probably it.

As far as Maj Malachowski goes... she is a Thunderbird, and thus a recruiter and postergirl for the USAF. She cannot be an official postgirl for CAP at the same time as we are different organizations with different missions. Perhaps after she's done with her tour with the 'Birds... Since she was the first female and all... Although I think her records as a cadet would need to be reviewed. We don't know if she was such an outstanding member of CAP in her time.

Wow George, didn't mean to make you get your prop all bent out of a shape.  ;)

All I'm saying is, if we're to pick someone to represent CAP, we need someone young, fresh and 'out there', someone somewhat high profile that 'everyone' knows about and can look up to and respect.

I'm proud of every CAP cadet that has achieved greatness, in this day and age I think that is something that doesn't happen that often, and if we can have someone there to inspire future cadets on, then so be it.

afgeo4

That I totally agree on. Do we know someone who's young, fresh, and very "admirable" in CAP today?

hmm... Pylon?
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 05:38:47 PM
That I totally agree on. Do we know someone who's young, fresh, and very "admirable" in CAP today?

hmm... Pylon?

:-X

Nah, he's just a lowly lieutenant working in some squadron somewhere.  Definitely not a "posterboy" for anything.   ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Johnny Yuma

hmm... Pylon?

How about that 30 year old TSGT who posed in Playboy? I hear she's looking for a job right now. ;) >:D >:D ;) >:D ;) >:D ;D ;D ;D
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

afgeo4

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on January 31, 2007, 08:02:17 PM

hmm... Pylon?

How about that 30 year old TSGT who posed in Playboy? I hear she's looking for a job right now. ;) >:D >:D ;) >:D ;) >:D ;D ;D ;D

Yes yes. That's my job, isn't it? Where'd they say she was stationed?
GEORGE LURYE

Smokey

Maj Malachowski (call sign FIFI) would be an excellent "posterperson".  Jerry Lewis wasn't exactly a regular CAP member. There is no reason she could not be the posterperson for both the USAF and CAP.   After all, it's not like she is a Blue Angel/Navy postergirl.  We are, after all still  (for now at least) the AF Aux.

Two side notes......Maj Malachowski's husband is an F-15 WSO was also a CAP cadet.

Second...the A-10 driver is Kim Cambell, (call sign   KC---aka Killer Chick) a former CAWG cadet.  She spoke at the National Conf in Las Vegas in 2003.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.