Do seniors use grade when speaking to other seniors?

Started by RiverAux, October 11, 2011, 01:01:29 AM

In your experience, how common is it for other senior members to use grade when addressing other senior members?  This refers to all your CAP experience, not just what you do.

Seniors usually (76-100% of the time) use grade when speaking to or about other seniors.
17 (13.6%)
Seniors sometimes (25-75% of the time) use grade when speaking to or about other seniors.
56 (44.8%)
Seniors rarely (0-25% of the time) use grade when speaking to or about other seniors.
52 (41.6%)

Total Members Voted: 125

RiverAux

In another thread it has recently been asserted that the experiences of myself and another CAP member in observing that senior members rarely use another person's grade when talking to or about them is outside the norm of CAP.  Given the prevalence of this particular observation on CAPTalk, I'm surprised that this other person was surprised by these comments.  And given that person's usual "cite please" posts, I thought a poll was in order.

Now, for the purpose of this poll, lump together all your private and public interactions with other CAP members while on CAP duty when deciding which option to pick.  So, think about what you see at meetings when 1 senior refers to another.  Do they use that person's first name or their CAP grade and last name?  Does the squadron commander use someone's grade when talking about them in front of the group or their first name? 

I'm predicting that Sometimes will come in first, then Rarely, then Usually. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 11, 2011, 01:01:29 AMAnd given that person's usual "cite please" posts
Heh - "That person" (could that be an award like TMFT?)

Lord forbid people back up their opinions with facts...

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2011, 01:15:18 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on October 11, 2011, 01:12:24 AM
Is this predicated on the absence of cadets?

Why should that matter?
In my observation, seniors use grade more frequently in the presence of cadets than when you're in a pure-senior environment.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on October 11, 2011, 01:17:03 AM

Why should that matter?
In my observation, seniors use grade more frequently in the presence of cadets than when you're in a pure-senior environment.
Sadly, I can't disagree, but I would put forth that this is due to a weakness in expectations and poor initial training.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

I'll use grade when speaking about another senior member to a cadet.

Or when speaking about another senior member that outranks me, although there aren't that many of those, and I generally don't talk about them much (if ever).

Equal or lower rank is typically first name basis unless cadets are around, or for some reason the circumstance calls for more formality.

RiverAux

Assume that we're talking about senior behavior in the absence of cadets.

SARDOC

In our squadron among Senior Members very rarely use rank for other senior members in house.  We are very informal when conducting our meetings and training sessions. 

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2011, 01:05:24 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on October 11, 2011, 01:01:29 AMAnd given that person's usual "cite please" posts

Just gigging you,  while at the same time working to back up my argument with the best facts available. 

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SARDOC on October 11, 2011, 01:44:38 AM
In our squadron among Senior Members very rarely use rank for other senior members in house.  We are very informal when conducting our meetings and training sessions.

Same here, my squadron is pretty informal.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 11, 2011, 01:53:56 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2011, 01:05:24 AM

Just gigging you,  while at the same time working to back up my argument with the best facts available.

I know, but I was serious - that'd be cool to be listed as "that guy" in the award section...

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2011, 01:22:23 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on October 11, 2011, 01:17:03 AM

Why should that matter?
Sadly, I can't disagree, but I would put forth that this is due to a weakness in expectations and poor initial training.
No...I put this down to that most seniors understand that they are trying to teach something different to the cadets then what we are teaching to seniors.

I don't teach "military disciplin and C&C" to seniors.  We just don't use it that much.....amongst ourselves.  Those that want to learn it do.  I do teach CP seniors all about it though...because of their intractions with cadets.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

tsrup

I use grade whenever there are other people around.  If I'm one on one with someone who is lower rank than myself then I might omit it for brevity's sake, it depends on what's appropriate.  However whenever in a group, I address everyone by grade.  I don't like being called by my first name in front of people junior to myself, and I don't presume to do it to anyone else. 

Paramedic
hang-around.

jpizzo127

During squadron meetings, it's required. We encourage it whenever in uniform and especially in public and in front of cadets.
JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

CAP_truth

I have always address senior officer inside or outside of CAP activites by their grade,even in private. I do converse with follow officers of equal grade on a first name basis during informal conversations when cadets are not present. Always using grade during formal conversations.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

RiverAux

Quote from: CAP_truth on October 11, 2011, 08:10:19 PM
I have always address senior officer inside or outside of CAP activites by their grade,even in private. I do converse with follow officers of equal grade on a first name basis during informal conversations when cadets are not present. Always using grade during formal conversations.

Keep in mind this isn't about what YOU do, but what you SEE...

Dad2-4

I have to say a positive "sometimes". When at meetings or talking about CAP stuff I personally always use rank and last name when talking to SM and cadets alike. What I see other SM doing is more lax, maybe a 50% split between rank and first name. That is often tempered by how well one SM knows another.

manfredvonrichthofen

I couldn't say if they DO, however, I think that they should. That is just my opinion, but to me CAP is a professional place and time, and it should be conducted as such, then again I grew up in CAP then went Army, and am now CAP again, and it has just been ingrained in me through all these years that you use rank when there is rank. I don't talk about other SMs without their rank, heck when I talk to my commander on the phone, I call him Sir, no matter what the discussion is about.

SARDOC

Quote from: jpizzo127 on October 11, 2011, 04:21:23 PM
During squadron meetings, it's required. We encourage it whenever in uniform and especially in public and in front of cadets.

So what do you do when members don't comply?