Main Menu

Thinking of joining CAP

Started by Nikos, June 28, 2011, 01:49:40 PM

Nikos

I am thinking of joining the CAP.  I was wondering what members think about their time in CAP?  I was a volunteer Firefighter for 12 years and I am looking of a new way of giving back to the community.  Any advice would be a big help in making my decision.  Thank you.

regards, Nikos

Thrashed

Experiences in CAP vary greatly. It can be a great organization and a really crappy one. It all depends on where you are and who is involved in it. It's all volunteer, so the local squadrons vary with the people in it. I finally gave up being frustrated with the idiots in CAP and did what I could to improve it. There are a lot of great people in CAP, but there are those others too. As a volunteer fireman, you've probably experienced the same issues. We have a few volunteer fireman in our squadron, its a great fit if you like search and rescue.

Go check out the local squadron, don't be in a hurry to join. Sit back and observe for awhile. If you don't like it, try another squadron, it might fit you better. They are all different.

Save the triangle thingy

Lancer

^^^^ A fairly accurate statement that I echo almost verbatim. Except for the Search and Rescue part. It's more like 'Search & Let Someone Else Rescue"

titanII

I'm echoing Thrash, but I think it's a point that needs to be stressed. Visit MULTIPLE squadrons. They can (and do) vary greatly. A lot of it is just randomness- the people, the facilities, the activities, etc. Find what works for YOU, and don't let people pressure you into joining a unit you don't really want to join.
No longer active on CAP talk

JeffDG

One other point...you'll get out of it what you put into it.

If you see CAP as a cheap flying club, you'll be forever frustrated by the paperwork and red tape that goes with flying. 

If, however, you commit to assisting in any way that you can, then it can be incredibly rewarding.

You need to commit yourself to at least one of CAP's 3 missions...not saying you can't do more, but you must have a passion for at least 1...that passion, and the contribution you can make, will pay off in spades over time.

Nikos

Thanks for the good information.  There are 3 squadrons in my area that I will try to visit.  I was thinking of ground based Emergency Services as I have some experience in this area. 

Regards, Nikos

CAPChap219

;D

Hawk200

Quote from: Nikos on June 28, 2011, 09:22:39 PM
Thanks for the good information.  There are 3 squadrons in my area that I will try to visit.  I was thinking of ground based Emergency Services as I have some experience in this area. 

Regards, Nikos
Don't be afraid to try the air route. Some crosspolination can be helpful.

JeffDG

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 30, 2011, 02:56:06 PM
Quote from: Nikos on June 28, 2011, 09:22:39 PM

Regards, Nikos
Don't be afraid to try the air route. Some crosspolination can be helpful.

MajorPayne

I recently joined and I think it is the best thing ever. If you are looking for a way to give back to the community, you've found it. In my squadron we do quite a bit for our community.
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

mjbernier

I joined in March after visiting our local squadron for a couple of months (the next closest is over a half-hour's drive away and impractical for me to attend regularly). It's a small group, but a very cohesive one -- everyone pulls together to get things done. My background in the IT industry can be applied in different ways to all three of CAP's missions, and I am now the ITO working on a project to modernize the squadron's technology infrastructure to support all three. I am also looking into different areas of interest such as Communications and PAO work.

It can be a bit frustrating at times because you feel things aren't going at the speed you would prefer, but I like to challenge my skills and I enjoy being able to use my talents to "give back" a little something to the community.

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Information Technology Officer & Public Affairs Officer
Texoma Composite Squadron TX-262
Denison, TX
http://captexoma.org