Main Menu

Masons in CAP

Started by CadetProgramGuy, May 08, 2010, 01:43:17 AM

AlphaSigOU

I am a baptized - but not practicing - Roman Catholic and a Mason. The Holy Roman Church probably has excommunicated me any way, but as my Hawaiian friends say: 'ainokea'!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Lord

Alpha,

Formal excommunication is pretty rare, but, by not practicing, you are sort of "excommunicated" ( not in communication with the Sacraments)  by nature, rather than formal decree. They will take you back any time you want, and unlike CAP, you won't have to pay back dues and the "grace" period ( pardon the Catholic pun) is your lifetime, or the end of the world, whichever comes first! Most priests would not even slam you for the Masons membership.

As for Netdude, I can certainly understand not like being held to a strict ethical or moral code, who does? You don't have to like it....Personally, I think the Shriners and the Lions do wonderful work. As a medical kind of guy, I have a soft-spot for sick kids. Lots of good public service groups out there.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

mynetdude

Quote from: Major Lord on May 09, 2010, 02:43:40 AM
Alpha,

Formal excommunication is pretty rare, but, by not practicing, you are sort of "excommunicated" ( not in communication with the Sacraments)  by nature, rather than formal decree. They will take you back any time you want, and unlike CAP, you won't have to pay back dues and the "grace" period ( pardon the Catholic pun) is your lifetime, or the end of the world, whichever comes first! Most priests would not even slam you for the Masons membership.

As for Netdude, I can certainly understand not like being held to a strict ethical or moral code, who does? You don't have to like it....Personally, I think the Shriners and the Lions do wonderful work. As a medical kind of guy, I have a soft-spot for sick kids. Lots of good public service groups out there.

Major Lord

well we could talk about morals, ethics and respect and right and wrong.  You're right some may not like it and some may not care.  Don't get me wrong, and I may have come across a bit disrespectful as that was not my intent so I apologize because at the very least I want to respect others (but wait! I can't please everybody either!)

I actually never received help from Shriners when I was a kid I must've been lucky to have a good mom! (gasp! Did I just mention mommy? Tomorrow is mother's day).  I am familiar with the Lions Club as well, been to a couple meetings and wasn't wholeheartedly impressed with that particular group again I still applaud them for what they do.

Just because I may not like something does not mean I don't follow them necessarily.  Do I like being rude? No, do I like being nice (well there is no reason not to be). Do I like going to church? Not wholeheartedly but do I respect them? Yes; FYI I have been to mass services and rosaries and baptisms.

Major Lord BTW I have been with doctors all my life, some years more than others and for a short while I was around doctors for several years as a kid when I finally turned 10 or so that started to ease a bit as I grew.  I haven't liked science or math and "climbing up" to get involved if you will and CAP has been it for me (and soon the CG Aux) I saw some things that I am missing out on and I intend to try to find out about how to get involved for next year.

Short Field

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 09, 2010, 01:05:19 AM
I am a baptized - but not practicing - Roman Catholic and a Mason. The Holy Roman Church probably has excommunicated me any way, but as my Hawaiian friends say: 'ainokea'!
There are no conflicts today between Masons and the Catholic Church.  That was resolved several years ago.  Some non-Masons seem to delight in spreading falsehoods about the Masonic orders.  Other non-Masons just like to expound on that of which they know nothing.  CORRECTION:  I was informed Masons are still under threat of a Interdict.  If you are Catholic, please consult your priest before contacting a Masonic Lodge.  I have known many Catholic Masons (related to a few) but as I am not Catholic, I can't speak for their status in the church.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

CadetProgramGuy

Ok fella's back on topic.

Somthing was mentioned earlier.  "Masons seek to make good men better."  There is more to that statement than what was mentioned.

"Masons seek to make good men better, not better than another man, just better than himself"

I joined the Masons for a variety of reasons, mostly reasons for what I was lacking from CAP.  Fellowship with other guys.

Becoming a Mason has opened my thoughts to knowing myself better than I used to do.  Then revealing to my father that I became a Mason, he revealed to me that he was also, as my Grandfather before him.  I literally stumbled into the path of my family, on my own.

My lodge is about half and half older "think wheel chairs and walkers" and young men (30's)  Us younger men are planning Golf Tournaments and such to raise money for our scholarship we offer to high schoolers to attend college.

I am planning a short run of monthly poker tournaments for the same reason starting this fall.

Major Carrales

I am a Knight of Columbus, been one since about 1996.

One things said in this discussion that is true is the Aging of various "communitarians" in these such organizations.  I don't attribute it to the "male" thing mentioned earlier as much as I attribute it to a cultural shift in America in the later half of the 20th century...mostly, the "Me Generation." 

When the desires to serve one's self before service to the community becomes the mantra, there is no place for CAP, Knights of Columbus, Masons, Lion's and the like.

When one takes on the ideals of hedonism, the pursuance of the interal pleasures for the individual, as opposed to communitarianism, service to the community as an individual for the local benefit of neighbors...there are  consequences to be paid.

And so, our organizations age...with a HUGE gap in age until there is that shift in the other direction.

These are, of course, my opinions and preceptions of the sociology of the matter.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Short Field

There are a lot of reasons volunteer and fraternal organizations are having membership problems.  Society has changed.  People tend to live, work, and play on a 24-7 schedule of their own.  People are working harder and longer today to maintain their standard of living.  Things that we use to consider a luxury are now essential.  Sure, everyone doesn't need a cell phone and a home computer with internet access but they are definitely moving from the pure luxury side.  The middle class is shrinking and so is the major source of our manpower.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Daryl Morning

JW - Chippewa Falls #176
2d L. Daryl Morning CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Eau Claire Composite Squadron(GLR-WI-161)
MRO, MS*, MSA*

mynetdude

In response to Major Carrales and Short Field's last posts

I know I am getting older, I am 30 now I have pretty much somewhat figured out what I want to do in life (in general) and given what I have and what most people don't have I feel more compelled to do so because I can because I don't have to and because I choose not to follow the mantra of the "me" society don't get me wrong I always balance community service and self otherwise I'd have no self left because one needs self.

I like the Kiwanis Club actually but they didn't have anything "fitting" for me in my opinion. I have stayed in CAP because I am still drawn to it (no matter how much some people still are pissing me off, then again this isn't about me now).

I have a thought that keeps coming up every now and then, volunteer when nobody else can cuz there isn't enough in the world.  Anyway the Mason Fraternity sounds neat thanks for the info and for those of you in it very AWESOME of you all to take the time to be involved in whatever you do :)

RRLE

You might want to read the Masonry (Freemasonry) article in the Catholic Encyclopedia to get the history and current position of the Catholic Church on Freemasonry. It isn't what you have been reading here.

QuoteThere are a lot of reasons volunteer and fraternal organizations are having membership problems.  Society has changed.

Another reason is the rise of the welfare state. If you look at when a lot of the fraternal organizations started, there was next to no welfare programs or social safety net. Most of the fraternal organizations started as mutual benefit and aid organizations. A key early member benefit was insurance. As government provided more and more of the functions formally provided by the fraternal and charitable organizations the need for them began to decline.

I have always liked the name of the Society of Odd Fellows.

JC004

Quote from: JC004 on May 08, 2010, 11:37:37 PM
Quote from: FW on May 08, 2010, 09:59:58 PM
^ Yes, to become a Mason, you just need ask one.  Until recently, a Mason could not invite you to join.  In Pa., a Mason may now invite a "worthy" man to join the fraternity. Each jurisdiction or Grand Lodge has its own rules.  If you're interested in joining, call the Grand Lodge in your state for more information on membership.  The more CT Masons, the better chance we have of taking over... >:D

Way to start conspiracy theories, Colonel.   >:D

I shall start a CAP Mason conspiracy theory/rumor involving you as finally getting my revenge for that whole Lifesaving ribbon thing...

I want to be able to say that the conspiracy goes all the way up to the National Commander so it sounds like a really great conspiracy, but unfortunately she is not eligible for membership, so I have to create something else. 

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JC004 on May 09, 2010, 12:17:54 PM
...I want to be able to say that the conspiracy goes all the way up to the National Commander so it sounds like a really great conspiracy, but unfortunately she is not eligible for membership, so I have to create something else.

She may not be eligible for membership but if one of her male relatives is a Mason, she can be an Eastern Star!  :D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JC004

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 09, 2010, 01:36:01 PM
Quote from: JC004 on May 09, 2010, 12:17:54 PM
...I want to be able to say that the conspiracy goes all the way up to the National Commander so it sounds like a really great conspiracy, but unfortunately she is not eligible for membership, so I have to create something else.

She may not be eligible for membership but if one of her male relatives is a Mason, she can be an Eastern Star!  :D

Great!  I'll weave that into the conspiracy theory!  Now I just have to tie a National Board member to Pierre L'Enfant...   >:D

tdepp

Interesting discussion, lots of good points.

Here in Sioux Falls, the YMCA has put on the Tri-State Basketball tournament for over 80 years for grades 6-9.  For most of that time, next to the state high school tournaments, it was THE tournament to play in.  Winning your bracket was akin to winning a state championship.  It is run completely by volunteers.

I've played in it (won my bracket), coached in it (won my bracket), been a volunteer, and refereed in it.  You now see hardly anyone under 50 volunteering as not just referees but scorekeepers, timers, gym administrators, etc.  They now can't get enough volunteers even though youth basketball has grown by leaps and bounds.  Referees want to be paid.  People say they are "busy." And I'm sure many of my fellow South Dakotans are either working during the weekend or at their second or third jobs to make ends meet. 

We need more "communitarians," even in the age, as one poster put it, of the "welfare state." Liberal Democrat that I am, even I know Uncle Sugar can't do everything.  It takes local charities, churches, synagogues, mosques, fraternal organizations, the CAP, and so forth to help fill in the gaps.  We know who in our communities needs help and how best to help them. 

For those of you in your 20s, 30s, and 40s in particular who are involved in Lions, Shriners, youth sports, church youth groups (and of course, CAP), etc., THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  Please know that your sacrifices in terms of time and money are needed and appreciated and make a difference in people's lives and in your communities.  Now, try to recruit your buddies to join you.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

mynetdude

Quote from: tdepp on May 09, 2010, 06:27:03 PM
Interesting discussion, lots of good points.

Here in Sioux Falls, the YMCA has put on the Tri-State Basketball tournament for over 80 years for grades 6-9.  For most of that time, next to the state high school tournaments, it was THE tournament to play in.  Winning your bracket was akin to winning a state championship.  It is run completely by volunteers.

I've played in it (won my bracket), coached in it (won my bracket), been a volunteer, and refereed in it.  You now see hardly anyone under 50 volunteering as not just referees but scorekeepers, timers, gym administrators, etc.  They now can't get enough volunteers even though youth basketball has grown by leaps and bounds.  Referees want to be paid.  People say they are "busy." And I'm sure many of my fellow South Dakotans are either working during the weekend or at their second or third jobs to make ends meet. 

We need more "communitarians," even in the age, as one poster put it, of the "welfare state." Liberal Democrat that I am, even I know Uncle Sugar can't do everything.  It takes local charities, churches, synagogues, mosques, fraternal organizations, the CAP, and so forth to help fill in the gaps.  We know who in our communities needs help and how best to help them. 

For those of you in your 20s, 30s, and 40s in particular who are involved in Lions, Shriners, youth sports, church youth groups (and of course, CAP), etc., THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  Please know that your sacrifices in terms of time and money are needed and appreciated and make a difference in people's lives and in your communities.  Now, try to recruit your buddies to join you.

:clap: my squadron has a fair share of younger people with older people guiding the squadron until we youngsters can safely take off with it :)

Spike

Seriously, lets go talk about Masons on the Mason Forum Boards.  Back to discussions about CAP Uniforms please!!!

BTW....I am a Mason.  A Card Carrying member of the local Mason Trade Union.  I apprenticed while in High School, know how to build a wall with stone and earned that title.  Anyone else here an actual Mason??

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Spike on May 10, 2010, 03:21:47 AM
Seriously, lets go talk about Masons on the Mason Forum Boards.  Back to discussions about CAP Uniforms please!!!

BTW....I am a Mason.  A Card Carrying member of the local Mason Trade Union.  I apprenticed while in High School, know how to build a wall with stone and earned that title.  Anyone else here an actual Mason??

Ahh we have an Operative Mason in the crowd.....

mynetdude

Quote from: Spike on May 10, 2010, 03:21:47 AM

This isn't the uniforms board, this is the Lobby!!! Where we lobby... I think? :P

tdepp

^^^^We need a brick mason who is a Mason named Mason from the Mason City CAP squadron to get us a superfecta.  :P
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

mynetdude

Quote from: tdepp on May 10, 2010, 01:25:49 PM
^^^^We need a brick mason who is a Mason named Mason from the Mason City CAP squadron to get us a superfecta.  :P

My last name is Mason! That's why I asked if that was good enough :P but apparently its not! :D