CAP aircraft markings

Started by RiverAux, July 18, 2008, 11:05:20 PM

PHall

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 09, 2008, 05:15:47 PM
Quote from: PHall on July 23, 2008, 05:07:53 AM
Should be the regular "star and bar" national insignia.

But that's just my opinion.

You mean a "roundel."  I think the CAP one is as good as it will get. I might assume that the usual roundel of the US MILITARY might insinuate that it was owned by the US GOVERNMENT/ARMED FORCES.  The CAP roundel shows exactally what were are, an Auxiliary of the Air Force that operates the world's largest fleet of Cessna Aircraft.

It should also be pointed out that the USAAF roundel was not in use by the Coastal Patrols of WWII.  They used a distinctive Civil Defense seal with the tri-prop until that was removed in favor of a white triangle in a blue circle.

It ceased being a roundel in 1942 when the bars were added. Roundels are, you know, round!

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 11, 2008, 03:42:39 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 11, 2008, 06:25:17 AM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 11, 2008, 01:52:58 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 09, 2008, 01:28:17 PM
Quote from: isuhawkeye on July 24, 2008, 02:39:16 AM
and the coast guard aux doesn't use the star and bar

They don't have airplanes.

Um... yeah they do.
Examples: P-3 Orion, C-130

When did the CG get P-3s? Pic? Linky?

The Coast Guard has these aircraft, the Auxiliary does not.  The Auxiliary flies member own aircraft.

[remainder redacted]

See bold text above and below.

I repeat, spelled out: When did the Coast Guard get P-3s? Pic? Linky?

I'm looking for information to supplement my knowledge of an airframe I had significant contact with in 21 years of AD, not a lesson on how to read. The OP on the original comment was corrected, and acknowledged his mistake. I addressed the comment as corrected.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Dave, I think they had a couple of A models as VIP transport back in the mid-late '80's. I remember seeing one in USCG colors at NAS NORVA around 88-89.  They also had some E2's they were flying out of NAS NORVA and St. Augustine FL around that time.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

PHall

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 12, 2008, 12:07:28 PM
Dave, I think they had a couple of A models as VIP transport back in the mid-late '80's. I remember seeing one in USCG colors at NAS NORVA around 88-89.  They also had some E2's they were flying out of NAS NORVA and St. Augustine FL around that time.

I remember those aircraft, they weren't P-3's, they were Gulfstream I's.

And those weren't E-2's, they were a pair of HC-130H's with the radar system from the E-2 grafted on.
Those C-130's now fly for Customs.

Al Sayre

Ummm nope.  I know the difference between a P3A and G1, I fixed P3's in Sigonella for 2 years.  I also know that the E-2's were E-2's.  I was the LPO for Workcenter 650 (CATIII-D/VAST) at AIMD Norfolk in 88 & 89 and had USCG personnel assigned to my workcenter specifically to fix the radar units they had on the E2's in the hangar across the street.

edit:  Link to article on USCG E2's (mods feel free to shrink the link): http://books.google.com/books?id=lUN__e4yC_IC&pg=PA99&lpg=PA99&dq=P3A+Orion+USCG&source=web&ots=rrWEuTXN1n&sig=SQ0AUPEaoW4OeSy072BgB8yy-Zs&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

Quote from: PHall on August 11, 2008, 06:18:43 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 09, 2008, 05:15:47 PM
Quote from: PHall on July 23, 2008, 05:07:53 AM
Should be the regular "star and bar" national insignia.

But that's just my opinion.

You mean a "roundel."  I think the CAP one is as good as it will get. I might assume that the usual roundel of the US MILITARY might insinuate that it was owned by the US GOVERNMENT/ARMED FORCES.  The CAP roundel shows exactally what were are, an Auxiliary of the Air Force that operates the world's largest fleet of Cessna Aircraft.

It should also be pointed out that the USAAF roundel was not in use by the Coastal Patrols of WWII.  They used a distinctive Civil Defense seal with the tri-prop until that was removed in favor of a white triangle in a blue circle.

It ceased being a roundel in 1942 when the bars were added. Roundels are, you know, round!

I am partly assuming that was a joke of sorts, however, if not...

The term "Roundel" has come to mean a military marking identifying the national military on an aircraft...

From Wikipedia...
Quote"A roundel in heraldry is any circular shape; in military use it is an emblem of nationality employed on military aircraft and air force flags, generally round and consisting of concentric rings of different colors."

You can read up on the history of the US roundel here...
http://cocardes.monde.online.fr/v2html/en/pays/etats_unis.html

Which also includes the Civil Air Patrol roundel...

From the site Roundels of the World, please visit it and see for yourself...

Examen some others here...
http://cocardes.monde.online.fr/v2html/en/accueil.html

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/rondels.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~r2russ/midway/roundels.html

While I greatly respect your years of service, I have to point out that your are wrong this occasion.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BillB

Carrales is now the Roundel police
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Major Carrales

Quote from: BillB on August 12, 2008, 05:08:51 PM
(a la Dragnet...)
This is the Forum...CAPTALK, USA.  It was Tuesday and balmy in South Texas.  My partner's BillB working out of ROUNDEL Division.  We got a call that someone was disrepecting the US Roundel.  I'm a Roundel Police officer...just the facts, please!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

PHall

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 12, 2008, 05:23:54 PM
(a la Dragnet...)
This is the Forum...CAPTALK, USA.  It was Tuesday and balmy in South Texas.  My partner's BillB working out of ROUNDEL Division.  We got a call that someone was disrepecting the US Roundel.  I'm a Roundel Police officer...just the facts, please!!!

Carrales, next time you're in Los Angeles you might as well turn yourself in, it's against the law to make fun of Jack Webb in the City of Los Angeles. ;)

stratoflyer

Oh no. Someone just referenced wikipedia!!

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: PHall on August 12, 2008, 06:53:04 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 12, 2008, 05:23:54 PM
(a la Dragnet...)

Carrales, next time you're in Los Angeles you might as well turn yourself in, it's against the law to make fun of Jack Webb in the City of Los Angeles. ;)

Who's making fun?  I considered it an homage.  Jack Webb is of cult status in our home.  Joe Friday, the original...no Disrespect to Ed O'Niel, he had big shoes to fill...is a cultural icon.  Have a great day!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 13, 2008, 05:48:57 AM
Oh no. Someone just referenced wikipedia!!

You will not that I provided supporting evidence.  Wikipedia is a "start" not an "end," for references. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454