Flight Helmet for missions?

Started by Charlie82, September 20, 2015, 12:05:55 AM

Charlie82

I'm a new member of CAP but an eight year veteran of the Air Force. A an aircrew member, I was used to wearing a flight helmet for training and deployed operations, which encompasses anytime I flew. I was not a pilot nor was I subjected to high-G forces.  Anybody who's anybody knows it's what all aircrews wear while operating aircraft, big or small.

Before I get into my question, I wanted to get into the helmet and what it was for, as an aircrew member.  The HGU-55 fixed wing flight helmet (the one I wore) is used for fighter pilots, bomber pilots and officer and enlisted aircrew, such as flight engineers, crew chiefs and loadmasters. It's an outdated version for fighter and bomber pilots but the rest of the Air Force still uses them. The helmet cut down on aircraft noise considerably and it was difficult to knock off your headset since it is integrated into the helmet.  The shaded and clear visors were also an advantage for anybody who needed to shade their eyes from the sun or God forbid, eject.  In the event of an emergency landing or crash, it IS designed to afford the wearer a certain amount of impact protection as opposed to your skull and headset.  As an added bonus, it can also be used to fit night vision goggles if necessary.

Now I know we're not the military and I'm not looking for ways to relive "glory days".  And now my question to you all:  Is there or do you feel there a practical application in CAP for the use of a flight helmet?  Pilots, observers and scanners are specifically targeted.  In my opinion, there is.  Besides being a source of added safety to the wearer, communication is easier to understand.  Most other elements, such as O2 or High-G protection are not needed but those are only optional benefits and do not apply to CAP.

Do you feel there is a practical application or need for the flight helmet or would a headset be just as good?  Do you know of any CAP aircrew member who does utilize a flight helmet?  Sound off!  I'd like to hear the different comments and viewpoints you have. Thanks!

PHall

Quote from: Charlie82 on September 20, 2015, 12:05:55 AM
I'm a new member of CAP but an eight year veteran of the Air Force. A an aircrew member, I was used to wearing a flight helmet for training and deployed operations, which encompasses anytime I flew. I was not a pilot nor was I subjected to high-G forces.  Anybody who's anybody knows it's what all aircrews wear while operating aircraft, big or small.

Don't know what you were flying in, but in EC/KC-135's and C-141's, we normally did not wear helmets. About the only exception was if you were in the cargo compartment of the C-141's while the Troop Doors or Cargo Doors were open during Air Drops.

AFSOC on the other hand, wears helmets just to go to the bathroom... >:D

To get back to your question, CAP does not wear helmets while flying.

Live2Learn

Is there a "practical application" for flight helmets with CAP?  ABSOLUTELY.  While not a requirement or even explicitly approved as 'optional' by CAPR 39-1, CAPR 60-1, or CAPR 60-3, helmets would be a great addition to aircrew safety.  Even a cursory read of NTSB accident reports demonstrates that helmets have made several saves in GA fixed wing aircraft, and lack of helmets have resulted in fatalities.  The Alaska Region of the FAA did a review of accidents over a five year period and fund helmets would have probably reduced fatalities by about 30% during that period. 

When in a 'search' or photo mission, particularly during flight over mountainous or forested landscapes the opportunities for a low risk emergency landing can be slim to none.  Should we experience total engine failure.  Like it or not, engine failures do occur in CAP aircraft.  To confirm just do a search of NTSB accident reports and several will surface.   I am aware of four engine failures in the last five years - all fortunately where a viable option existed for landing.  In the mountains or over continuous forest things could get dicey really quick if the fan stops.  At 1000' AGL (search altitude) and 80 kts (search airspeed) we are in a low energy state.  Even with near instantaneous transition to best glide we're gonna be on the ground in 45-60 seconds... and our area of potential landing sites is severely limited.

I think it would be a great, forward thinking move for CAP to look into group purchase pricing for two or three different helmets.  Who knows, the life it saves might be a member of the forum?

Live2Learn

Quote from: PHall on September 20, 2015, 12:12:22 AM

To get back to your question, CAP does not wear helmets while flying.

I'd rephrase that to "most CAP" don't wear helmets... Perpetual optimism is a disease that afflicts many who don't like "helmet hair"!  :-)

coudano

come on guys, you haven't seen cap's latest helmet mounted cueing system for the surrogate pods?

Charlie82

Thank you for your comments. I understand that most, if not all CAP members have never used a flight helmet during training or missions.  And while I agree that we are not combatants, it does nothing to save any of us from the risks associated with flying the missions the CAP is called upon daily. Big engine or tiny engine, they fall to the ground just as hard (knock on wood). Flying a bus at 30'000 ft is a bit safer than flying patterns over even terrain.

Keep the comments coming!

SarDragon

Quote from: Charlie82 on September 20, 2015, 12:05:55 AMDo you feel there is a practical application or need for the flight helmet or would a headset be just as good?  Do you know of any CAP aircrew member who does utilize a flight helmet?  Sound off!  I'd like to hear the different comments and viewpoints you have. Thanks!

Nope. Having flown in both environments, I see little need for a helmet. The aircrew isn't crawling around the aircraft while performing their duties. Their exposure to violent movements while not strapped in is minimal, and said violent movements are not a part of our mission profiles.

Last is the weight factor. Helmets in our profiles, IMO, are more fatiguing than military profiles. Also the Cessna excess power available is much lower than any military aircraft, FWIW.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: Charlie82 on September 20, 2015, 12:40:04 AM
UNEVEN terrain..

Flown search missions in the Sierra Nevada's, never needed a helmet. Remember, you're strapped into a seat with a seat belt and a shoulder harness.
So you're moving not around.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Required - to prevent head strike when the pilot puts the flaps to the unnecessary position of Full for the Preflight.

Live2Learn

Quote from: PHall on September 20, 2015, 04:03:50 AM
Quote from: Charlie82 on September 20, 2015, 12:40:04 AM
UNEVEN terrain..

Flown search missions in the Sierra Nevada's, never needed a helmet. Remember, you're strapped into a seat with a seat belt and a shoulder harness.
So you're moving not around.

If you "never needed a helmet" I congratulate you on many safe and uneventful flights. 

I have a friend who lost his engine on takeoff in western Montana near West Yellowstone.  He stuck his plane (a supercub with all lift enhancing devices known to man) in a very small clearing next to the runway.  His choices were grim: a cliff off the end of the runway; tall trees to the immediate right and left; and a small opening created by recent logging about 150 degrees behind him.  He almost made a perfect 3 point landing in that tiny clearing... BUT his left wing hit a tree some inconsiderate oaf failed to cut down.  The plane started flying again (at least the right wing did).  Then it stalled.  Side loads from the tree caused severe damage to his skull, and also to the passenger's head.  His 4 point harness kept him from a face plant in the panel, ditto for the pax.  BUT though tight, the harnesses were'nt tight enough.  Both he and passenger submarined through their lap belts causing a lot of damage to ribs, thorax, etc.  He's a true believer in helmets.  He and pax were unconscious from the banging of their heads on the sides of the aircraft.  Even with his severe injuries, had he not banged his head he would have been able to shut off fuel and spark.  But he was out and fuel was dripping from the damaged left wing tank.  Fortunately some friends were watching the takeoff.  When they heard the engine quit the cavalry was in motion! Within less than two minutes of the crash one friend turned off both fuel and power.  A lot of fatalities from GA aircraft result from post crash fires.  This crash was a prime candidate for want of a helmet.  Another pilot I know is also a true believer.  His engine quit about six years ago while he was flying up the Columbia River Gorge.  During his off airport landing he hit  two trees (perfectly, one on each wing mid span - and entirely by luck), had a harness, and still banged his head (encased in a helmet).  He walked away with a bit of soreness.   Hubris says "don't need no helmets... I got shoulder harnesses!".  Flying over mountains shoulder harnesses may not be enough.  Engine failure is the second highest root cause of GA SE aircraft accidents, and has been for a long time. 

lordmonar

Back when we used to argue about whether NOMEX was required or not......I always stated that from a safety point of view a flight helmet was more practically useful then a Nomex Flight suit.

To the OP.....yes a flight helmet has a practical application. 

Beyond that I will say no more.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

While I'm not unusually tall (6'1"), my head is uncomfortably close to the ceiling already while in the right front seat and I'm not sure there would be room for me to wear a helmet if I wanted too. 

Capt Thompson

A quick glance over to eBay shows this helmet as about $800 used, which even if they became authorized, is an expense the individual member would have to handle on their own.

Just like RiverAux, our 172 is already a tight fit without a helmet. I would hate to cram into one for a long CD mission with my head tilted constantly to one side because I'm suddenly a few inches taller due to a helmet.

Yes, they save lives, but would be too cost prohibitive, and wouldn't work for anyone average height or above I would guess.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Storm Chaser

The main reason military fighter pilots wear helmets is because they may have to eject in case of an emergency. Military aircrews in larger transport aircraft carrying parachutes must carry helmets in case they have to bailout (they don't actually have to wear them). They also carry and wear helmets when flying NVG missions. They're not require to wear or even carry a helmet when flying without parachutes onboard.

I think requiring helmets for CAP flying is not practical nor necessary.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Capt Thompson

Capt Matt Thompson

Thonawit

Go ahead and get lost... I dare you

Couldn't resist the thread hijack...
Regularly contradicts, contradicted CAP Regulations...

Capt Thompson

When you have a ground team vehicle stuck in traffic, sometimes you have to call in for air support!
Capt Matt Thompson

Luis R. Ramos

Did anyone notice the registration number on that CAP A-10?

N976CP... CP as in Cadet Programs?[/size]

Coincidence? Intentional? 

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer