Loudest aircraft you have ever heard

Started by nomiddlemas, March 10, 2014, 12:22:13 AM

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Bayareaflyer 44 on March 10, 2014, 02:26:46 AM
Got to see/hear a SR-71 taking off from the side of the runway at Beale AFB.  WIWAC my ATCFC class was touring the facility, when they rushed us out there for us for that experience.  Fortunate timing, I guess.

I am eternally jealous and compelled to despise you for your good fortune forever.

avguy

It may not have been the loudest decibel-wise but I was completely unprepared for the noise of a Vulcan low-pass flyover at Middle Wallop in 1986.  The air around me seemed to be pulsing in a way I've never experienced since.
Will Craig, Maj, CAP
CC
NCR-MN-042

Bayareaflyer 44

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 10, 2014, 06:56:01 PM
Quote from: Bayareaflyer 44 on March 10, 2014, 02:26:46 AM
Got to see/hear a SR-71 taking off from the side of the runway at Beale AFB.  WIWAC my ATCFC class was touring the facility, when they rushed us out there for us for that experience.  Fortunate timing, I guess.

I am eternally jealous and compelled to despise you for your good fortune forever.

;D

Oh, and I guess I'll not mention that I was an honor cadet, and flew in the Tweet...  (which is not that loud on the inside)   ;)

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

capmaj

Easily....... any of the shuttle launches.

MSG Mac

From the inside the C-130. Never got off one without a bad headache and a cold.   
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

FlyTiger77

The Cobra...on the engine deck from about 6 inches away when it was running...without hearing protection. Probably not my smartest move, but at the time there must have been something important I really wanted to see.

What they say is true. Your hearing doesn't come back.:'(
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Al Sayre

Quote from: SunDog on March 10, 2014, 06:54:13 PM
On second thought, it might have been a C-172; it quit when I pulled carb heat opposite the touchdown point. That quiet was really, really loud. I could feel it in my "abdomen".

That would be your abdomen filling up with seat cushion...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: avguy on March 10, 2014, 07:37:37 PM
It may not have been the loudest decibel-wise but I was completely unprepared for the noise of a Vulcan low-pass flyover at Middle Wallop in 1986.  The air around me seemed to be pulsing in a way I've never experienced since.

Man after my own heart!

Nothing quite like the Vulcan B2 at full power.  It was, I think, exceeded by the English Electric Lightening display, the highlight of which was to run in across the parking lot at St Mawgan, set off the car alarms, ignite the afterburner and then climb like a rocket (vertically) to 30,000 feet in 'nothing flat'!  Not it's bets time-to-altitude but certainly the most impressive.

On reflection, the pair of Buccaneer aircraft that made a zero-feet pass over our position during a defense exercise came darn close - both to us and the Vulcan's noise!

Jaison009

Blue Angels "Fat Albert" using JATO. It was quite bad ***.

AirAux

I am not sure, but the B-29 taking off over my head about 50 feet high was the loudest thing I have ever heard, but it may have been my heart pumping with American Pride.  It was so loud it brought tears to my eyes..  Yeah, that's the ticket..

C/Awesomenesss

I think the E4B on take-off roll or the blue angels taking off.

SarDragon

Quote from: Awesomenesss on March 12, 2014, 02:06:28 AM

The Blue Angels, in any iteration I've seen, are no match for the Harrier doing a vertical 1,000' away.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LSThiker

The CAP glider.  Holy crud, the pilots just keep yapping and yapping.  It goes on forever.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: SarDragon on March 12, 2014, 03:27:01 AM
Quote from: Awesomenesss on March 12, 2014, 02:06:28 AM

The Blue Angels, in any iteration I've seen, are no match for the Harrier doing a vertical 1,000' away.
Yup, agree.  Saw the look of awe of my children's faces when I took them to the Hawker Hunter 5oth Anniversary air show and there was a Harrier display doing just that!  One of those children is now on a USMC seagoing deployment on a ship operating Harriers...different opinion! ;D

nomiddlemas

Hahaha those things beat a fighter jet anyday haha.   :clap:

cm42

I was "lucky" on one occasion to be in the open near a hold short line as a C-5 lifted off. 300 feet away or so. It's a screamer.

Garibaldi

F-4, standing less than 1/4 mile from the runway at Dobbins. Took off right over me and I thought my chest and head would implode.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

Vulture's Row, any aircraft carrier.

LOUD ! ! !
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spartan

We called for a B-1B that was on station in Afghanistan to boom the enemy as part of prepping the valley for our arrival.  It came in somewhere between 500-1000 ft. and sent the sonic boom down the valley which acted like a megaphone.  It left my ears ringing for a few hours even with earplugs.

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on March 19, 2014, 03:02:53 AMVulture's Row, any aircraft carrier.

LOUD ! ! !
Oh. Yeah. :)
Quote from: Spartan on March 19, 2014, 07:18:13 AMIt left my ears ringing for a few hours even with earplugs.
.. the real sound of freedom making it's place.