GES Training material for new CAPR60-3 and 116 test

Started by 321EOD, November 08, 2009, 12:46:06 AM

321EOD

Is anyone aware of a replacement for the old (2004) GES slideshow presentation https://tests.cap.af.mil/ops/tests/genes2004.ppt

I'm looking for something that covers the new (interim!) CAP-T 116 test.

I spent today running some new ES cadets through a classroom training session and am trying to make GES a little less 'brutal'!

I noted that the gocivilairpatrol.com links are dead:
http://www.capmembers.com/emergency_services/operations_support/education_and_training/     and click on the GES materials link
Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

SarDragon

The Powerpoint .PPT download works, and the material still covers what's necessary to pass the test. I just took the test, and don't recall any answers based on significantly changed text. IMHO, much ado about very little. Download what's there, teach it and put your trainees to work.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

321EOD

Quote from: SarDragon on November 08, 2009, 01:42:10 AM
The Powerpoint .PPT download works, and the material still covers what's necessary to pass the test. I just took the test, and don't recall any answers based on significantly changed text. IMHO, much ado about very little. Download what's there, teach it and put your trainees to work.

Unfortunately I have to disagree - even the old ppt didnt cover all the questions in the old 116 test, it certainly doesn't cover all the questions in the new one. While a good understanding of 60-3 is required for SAR training, getting cadets to read through a 35page reg before they can do any other training is challenging,

321EOD

Anyone think it's kinda funny that the "Corporate Uniform Gone" post gets more response than a request for training material!!! :o

Not that I'm trying to 'out do' Pingree at all  ;D

RiverAux

Not when the original poster to this question basically asked a yes/no question.

321EOD

Quote from: RiverAux on November 08, 2009, 06:01:13 PM
Not when the original poster to this question basically asked a yes/no question.

Ouch - perhaps I should have said "Corporate uniform" post is being READ more (600+ versus 50+).
Anyway, it was just a light hearted poke at Pingree (who I know) and an attempt to get some input into my original question  ;)

Short Field

If you are using the powerpoint slides, stop at Pt 2 as that is the ICS 100 section.   If you want to teach ICS 100 in a classroom, check here:
http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is100alst.asp

Note the requirement to have the test sent back to FEMA for grading.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

321EOD

BUMP!

Well, I still can't find any training material/slides that realistically covers the questions being asked in the online CAPT 116 exam - the genes2004 powerpoint misses a lot of information.

So, how are other units teaching GES?.....

Spaceman3750

Quote from: 321EOD on July 29, 2011, 03:08:11 PM
BUMP!

Well, I still can't find any training material/slides that realistically covers the questions being asked in the online CAPT 116 exam - the genes2004 powerpoint misses a lot of information.

"Here, read slides 1-25 of this presentation and CAPR 60-3 then take the test."

GES really shouldn't have to be taught - hopefully the person taking the test is capable of understanding a broad overview of a CAP regulation by simply reading it.

davidsinn

Quote from: 321EOD on July 29, 2011, 03:08:11 PM
BUMP!

Why are you wasting time teaching it?

QuoteThis open book questionnaire is based on CAPR 60-3, CAP Emergency Services Training and Operational Missions, CAPR 173-3, Payment for Civil Air Patrol Support; and General Emergency Services training materials available online. The 25 questions on this test cover general emergency services (ES) operational mission procedures and is accomplished by all CAP members prior to initial issuance of CAPF 101, Civil Air Patrol Specialty Qualification Card, and normally by all personnel currently holding valid CAPF 101 cards within 180 days of issuance of a new examination to remain current. Since this exam is being issued on an interim regulation, currently qualified personnel will not be required to re-take this version.  When the new regulation combining CAPR 60-3 and CAPR 60-6 is completed, a new exam will be issued, and all qualified personnel will be required to complete it.

Most of that can be forgotten afterwards. Just open the test and the regs and let them have at it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

^ I have to agree, while it might not send the best message, I've seen far too many units get wrapped up in "teaching" GES, which then leads the membership, especially cadets, to believe they've actually done something.

15 minutes with the regs to get a general idea of the framework, and familiarize them with CAP's online tests, eservices, etc., and then move on to something with actual value.

"That Others May Zoom"

321EOD

David and 'Eclipse'

THANK YOU!... you have just validated my 'teaching' method for the last 3 ES Training Days  :clap: :-X

GES does have value in that it gives the CAP ES newbie an insight into the ways of CAP ES  ;D However I was trying to 'follow the rules' by using the genes2004 ppt and realizing it wasn't even close to most of the 116 questions!

As Eclipse just said... moving one to something with actual value ;-)

JC004

I had much more knowledgeable personnel from teaching them.  The difference was very clear.  I organized my slides and handouts to be both test-oriented and actually contain that information, as well as focused on how to get started in CAP ES - screen shots of your SQTRs and all. 

jimmydeanno

I've "taught" GES before.  But the students understood that the information wouldn't just be what is on the test.  It covered what CAP does operationally, how we fit into the grand scheme, how the SARSAT system works, the path notifications take, what aircrews do, what equipment we use, etc. 

Then we talk about liability issues, SQTR stuff, really it becomes a 4 hour "Introduction to Emergency Services."  The students usually appreciate it, because it's something they don't really get just reading the reg.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

That's what we need.  Getting started in CAP is hard.  There's a lot to learn and people who've been around for a long time or have been cadets often don't seem to see the learning curve.  There is a lot to learn and if you come in as a SM, for instance, and want to get started in ES, flying, and a squadron job, it can be pretty confusing - especially when you add PD, uniforms, and all the little requirements and junk that bombards you.  No wonder people get burned out or make a lot of mistakes.