Cadet Staff Positions

Started by Longisland33, December 09, 2019, 02:41:53 AM

Longisland33

what are some of the less important staff position to put low ranking cadet officers in?

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Longisland33 on December 09, 2019, 02:41:53 AM
what are some of the less important staff position to put low ranking cadet officers in?

None.

If a cadet isn't ready for responsibility, pair them with someone who is until they are.

CAP9907

I'd take issue with the premise of your question.

There are no 'less important' staff positions, they all contribute to overall CAP missions.Do an honest assessment of the Cadet Officer and assign them as they fit, are able, and as needed. Remember, they ideally will be assisting the SM already in that position.. The SM likely did not sign up to 'babysit' a Cadet but to execute an assignment. A well placed Cadet can assist with the mission, but a poorly placed Cadet can be a distraction.

YMMV,

~9907

*edit*  This is a Cadet posting this question, I may have read the intent wrong...

21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

JohhnyD

Not 'less important" but less responsibility - staff positions (Public Affairs, for example), and deputy positions are a good place to start learning to take responsibility.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: JohhnyD on December 09, 2019, 03:45:19 AM
Not 'less important" but less responsibility - staff positions (Public Affairs, for example), and deputy positions are a good place to start learning to take responsibility.

Deputy positions are an awful place to start learning to take responsibility. "Taking responsibility" should be learned at the Airman level. Responsibility increases as grade increases.

I like to assign Cadet Second Lieutenants and First Lieutenants as Flight Commanders, Leadership/Operations Officers, and Activities Officers. At the cadet officer level, they should be expected to learn how to be a program manager (the delegation of tasks to accomplish mission needs; coordinating activities between interfacing departments). I prefer that my Cadet Commander be a C/Maj, which puts my Cadet Deputy Commander at C/1st Lt or C/Capt.

xyzzy

I like TheSkyHornet's answer. The positions within the cadet side of the organization provides quick feedback from people within the squadron about the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of the staff member's work. Positions that deal with people outside of CAP, or other squadrons (like communications or public affairs) provide feedback that is slower or more round-about, so are better for more seasoned cadets.