JROTC to the Civil Air Patrol

Started by Army Curdet, November 18, 2019, 04:38:53 PM

TheSkyHornet

It's written in terms of years, not semesters.

Semesters apply to collegiate ROTC and service academies, not high school/middle school.

Flying Pig

I was in JROTC and CAP as a cadet.  Of course feel free to do what the regs and your command allow, but just join and enjoy the program and be less concerned about getting promoted every month.  Of course, thats 44 year old me talking to 16 year old me  ;D

NC Hokie

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 20, 2019, 07:50:08 PM

Semesters apply to collegiate ROTC and service academies, not high school/middle school.

True, but classes in the block schedule are twice as long as classes in the traditional schedule, making one semester of JROTC in the block schedule the academic equivalent of a full year in the traditional schedule.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

jeders

Quote from: NC Hokie on November 21, 2019, 09:18:40 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 20, 2019, 07:50:08 PM

True, but classes in the block schedule are twice as long as classes in the traditional schedule, making one semester of JROTC in the block schedule the academic equivalent of a full year in the traditional schedule.

But they meet for half as many days, at least when I've seen block scheduling implemented.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

An interesting nuance of the way the reg is written is that is appears that a college student with ROTC
but no JROTC, would not be eligible for expedited promotions until after Mitchell.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2019, 09:41:01 PM
An interesting nuance of the way the reg is written is that is appears that a college student with ROTC
but no JROTC, would not be eligible for expedited promotions until after Mitchell.

Been my experience that CAP cadets who are in ROTC are usually busy enough that CAP tends to not be a priority anymore.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on November 21, 2019, 10:56:47 PM

Been my experience that CAP cadets who are in ROTC are usually busy enough that CAP tends to not be a priority anymore.

Yeah - if you're already in actual ROTC, you're not going to care much about the Mitchell if you don't already have it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fester

My thought on that would be that anyone in ROTC won't be working through Phase I or II since anyone in ROTC would be at least 18 years old and likely would have already been a member of CAP before turning 18.  My experience has been that almost NONE of the new cadets joining the program are over 16.  16 seems to be the effective cutoff date for new cadets joining the program in my experience.  My further experience has been that once a cadet begins college (especially if joining ROTC) they remain a member but are no longer active at all.  Except for maybe popping into a meeting or two during Winter Break.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

TheSkyHornet

I'm not tracking on that.

5.6.2.3.2. Service Academy & ROTC Cadets. The accelerated rate is available to Mitchell
Award recipients after their completing one semester and remains in effect indefinitely,
until the cadet withdraws from the service academy or ROTC.

That reads, to me, like you're eligible up until Mitchell, not after.

And you can join ROTC at 17. Regardless, if you join CAP, then start ROTC, you're eligible for the expedited promotion rate, and you can also use it toward your Eaker.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 22, 2019, 04:21:30 PM

5.6.2.3.2. Service Academy & ROTC Cadets. The accelerated rate is available to Mitchell
Award recipients after their completing one semester and remains in effect indefinitely,

And you can join ROTC at 17. Regardless, if you join CAP, then start ROTC, you're eligible for the expedited promotion rate, and you can also use it toward your Eaker.

And the Earhart, Eaker and Spaatz gets a ROTC cadet what?

The main goal of most ROTC students in their first two years is to be picked to go to Field Training and then to continue on to graduation and commissioning.
To do that they need to show their Det Commander that they are worth a Field Training slot which means their primary focus is on school and ROTC.
CAP usually ends up in the "if I have any extra time" category.

arajca

Award recipients
after their completing one semester and remains in effect indefinitely,

I read it as the accelerated rate for ROTC/Academy is available AFTER receiving the Mitchell (is available to Mitchell award recipients, hence the cadet needs to already have the Mitchell) and completing 1 semester and carries through the rest of the program, including Earhart and Eaker.

Eclipse

^This. No JROTC, no accelerated until Mitchell.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: PHall on November 22, 2019, 04:55:37 PM

And the Earhart, Eaker and Spaatz gets a ROTC cadet what?

The Earhart, Eaker, and Spaatz cadet don't get ROTC anything.

If you go enlisted, you get your E-3. No different than getting an accelerated promotion for college credits.
If you go officer, you get your O-1 upon completing the officer training program, like everyone else. Nobody does 10 years enlisted to leave ROTC or OCS with an advanced grade.

QuoteThe main goal of most ROTC students in their first two years is to be picked to go to Field Training and then to continue on to graduation and commissioning. To do that they need to show their Det Commander that they are worth a Field Training slot which means their primary focus is on school and ROTC.

That timeline and process differs depending on the branch.

QuoteCAP usually ends up in the "if I have any extra time" category.

As it should.

Just like CAP typically expects that you're going to put CAP before other activities. If you're in both Boy Scouts and CAP, we expect you to commit to us; the Boy Scouts side of you isn't our issue.

Sure, do multiple programs. But you're going to need to find a balance that works. I fully expect ROTC to take precedence over CAP, since that's actually a military training program toward a career. It has a very specific end result.

Quote from: Eclipse on November 22, 2019, 05:22:54 PM
^This. No JROTC, no accelerated until Mitchell.

I'm tracking now. I can see how that's an easy miss.

The accelerated rate is available to Mitchell Award recipients.
Not up until receiving the Mitchell Award.

Eclipse

No one said ROTC cadets would be focusing on CAP, but it's not unheard of.

Plenty of kids go to school locally, have time in the evenings, and continue to participate in both, many with goals
that generally not available to anyone but Phase III & IV CAP cadets - IACE, Flight Training, command of a major
activity like an NCSA or encampment, not to mention things like NESA.

The flight training, especially these days, would be a compelling reason enough to stay in and continue progressing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Granted, my situation was a little unusual, but I was probably more involved in CAP while an ROTC cadet than I was in ROTC.  I certainly spend more time doing CAP things.

As it turned out,  the ROTC people strongly encouraged my participation in CAP, even letting me out of the 6-week Advanced Camp a week early so I could attend encampment.  The Army had already waived the first two years of ROTC course work based solely on my Spaatz.   Very nice of them, indeed.  TBF, I did return the favor by serving a couple of decades or so after commissioning.

CAP was also good to me in those ROTC years, giving me an academic scholarship as well. 

Good times.

YMMV.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Ned on November 22, 2019, 11:13:32 PM
Granted, my situation was a little unusual, but I was probably more involved in CAP while an ROTC cadet than I was in ROTC.  I certainly spend more time doing CAP things.

As it turned out,  the ROTC people strongly encouraged my participation in CAP, even letting me out of the 6-week Advanced Camp a week early so I could attend encampment.  The Army had already waived the first two years of ROTC course work based solely on my Spaatz.   Very nice of them, indeed.  TBF, I did return the favor by serving a couple of decades or so after commissioning.

CAP was also good to me in those ROTC years, giving me an academic scholarship as well. 

Good times.

YMMV.

Double Eagle
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member