JROTC to the Civil Air Patrol

Started by Army Curdet, November 18, 2019, 04:38:53 PM

Army Curdet

I am thinking about joining the Civil Air Patrol following the end of my fourth semester of Army JROTC. From what I've read, if you have at least two semesters of JROTC you can promote almost monthly (assuming you meet required criteria), and if you have four semesters of JROTC completed, then you can promote monthly (still assuming you meet required criteria) until you reach the "Eaker" award -- and from what I've read the "Eaker" award means that you're a c/LTC -- So my question: If you reach the "Eaker' award, will Civil Air Patrol still allow you to have the opportunity to be promoted to c/COL (this time in the regular ~two months instead of the ~one month, assuming you meet criteria).

- Thank you,
                                                                                                                              A potential recruit

ßτε

Two semesters will give accelerated promotion up to Wright Brothers.
Four semesters will give accelerated promotions up to Mitchell.
Six semesters will give accelerated promotion up to Earhart.
Eight semesters will give accelerated promotions up to Eaker.

The waiting period between between Eaker and Spaatz is one day.

TheSkyHornet

How yours would look (with 4 semesters of JROTC credit; 1 year) is that you would be eligible to promote every 28 days up through the end of Phase II until the Mitchell Award Milestone at Cadet Second Lieutenant.

After that, you would be eligible to promote every 56 days.

Keep in mind that this is an exception to the rule on the minimum time-in-grade for promotion eligibility and does not automatically result in your promoting at that rate. You will need to need to complete the required testing within that eligibility period, as well as demonstrate your preparedness to move up and accept greater levels of responsibility commensurate with that grade. Your Commander does not have to approve the promotion solely because you took the tests and have 28 days in-grade.

etodd

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 18, 2019, 06:04:47 PM

You will need to need to complete the required testing within that eligibility period ....

And if testing is given on that timetable. How often is a Cadet able to keep that rigorous a schedule?  Two PT days rained out in a row. Holiday schedules mean dropped meetings. Vacations, etc., etc.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Holding Pattern

It all depends on if your squadron is as motivated as you are to move forward at that pace.

Interview the squadrons in your area to see which will work with you to do that.

PHall

Quote from: etodd on November 18, 2019, 06:57:32 PM

You will need to need to complete the required testing within that eligibility period ....

And if testing is given on that timetable. How often is a Cadet able to keep that rigorous a schedule?  Two PT days rained out in a row. Holiday schedules mean dropped meetings. Vacations, etc., etc.

56 and 28 days is the minimum time between promotions, NOT a schedule!!!

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on November 18, 2019, 06:57:32 PM

That's the point of the weather waiver, and the fact that you have to complete the CPFT within 180 days.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: PHall on November 18, 2019, 07:07:30 PM

56 and 28 days is the minimum time between promotions, NOT a schedule!!!

Exactly. That was my point above, not the specifics.  The OP surely understands he may not make his goal in the sort time allocated due to all these many factors, outside his control.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on November 18, 2019, 07:52:55 PM
Weather what now?

CAPR 60-1, 5.4.5.5.
Inclement Weather. If inclement weather prevents cadets from attempting the CPFT before their HFZ credentials expire, the unit commander may authorize a 30-day extension.

When you go into the HFZ entry in eServices, you can check the "Weather Waiver" box.

Eclipse

A poor use of term for sure.  I've had CCs believing this was a legit "waiver" vs extension.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on November 18, 2019, 09:18:03 PM
A poor use of term for sure.  I've had CCs believing this was a legit "waiver" vs extension.

Y'all like tangents don't you?  LOL

"Extension" ... yes.  The only reason I mentioned weather is that it CAN cause extensions and may interfere with the OP's seemingly tight schedule he/she appears to be thinking is possible.  If the ONLY reason the OP is considering joining is to run through the system like a speed drill to get it all done before timing (aging) out .. he/she may want to have an honest talk about it with the squadron folks.

Eclipse

A valid opinion, certainly, but generally the sprinters run out of gas around Mitchell as the expectations
increase just as their available time decreases. With that said, it's a legit way to participate, so there you go.

The fact that you can get extensions for weather are certainly not a "tangent" in a conversation with someone
interested in expedient participation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Any real "benefits" to being a CAP cadet end with the Mitchell as far as accelerated military promotion.  The only reason anyone would have an interest in blasting through the ranks that fast would be for resume building.   Like eclipse mentions, I've seen a number of cadets join who meet the criteria and fizzle out around the Mitchell.  Come to think about it, none made it that far before they stopped coming or just fell in to the normal routine of promoting along with everyone else every few months.  I never had any cadets do it.  Not for the lack of trying, but the schedule became impossible, promotion boards didn't allow it, waiting for an encampment to come around, etc.  Reality is you'll lose interest and stagnate or stop coming to meetings.  Maybe you'll beat the stats, but that's what I saw happen. Besides, the program is fun.  Just join and enjoy it. 

Fester

The fact that it is called a "waiver" in eServices is likely to blame.  Take your frustrations up with NHQ.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Shuman 14

Quote from: Fester on November 19, 2019, 06:33:41 AM

The fact that it is called a "waiver" in eServices is likely to blame.  Take your frustrations up with NHQ.

Sounds like a Ghost and a Specter arguing over which one is dead... just saying.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Army Curdet

Quote from: ßτε on November 18, 2019, 05:11:56 PM

What if it's an odd number of semesters like five? Would that permit accelerated promotions up until the the rank in between the Mitchell and Earhart awards?

baronet68

Quote from: Army Curdet on November 19, 2019, 11:56:22 PM
Quote from: ßτε on November 18, 2019, 05:11:56 PM

What if it's an odd number of semesters like five? Would that permit accelerated promotions up until the the rank in between the Mitchell and Earhart awards?

Uh... no.  There is no "Partial Credit".  ::)
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Terry W.

It might be worth noting that there is a difference between a traditional and block schedule for a semester. Under a block schedule a semester is technically a year worth of coursework. A better way to note it would be credits earned, not semesters completed.

arajca

Quote from: CAPR 60-15.6.2.3.1. JROTC Cadets. The accelerated rate is available after one year's JROTC credit
through Phase I, with two years' credit through Phase II, with three years' credit through
Phase III, and with four years' credit through Phase IV.