Aviation Safety Stand Down Day - ideas, suggestions, templates?

Started by OldGuy, July 27, 2018, 01:20:30 AM

OldGuy

We are talking about this as a squadron or group activity, perhaps inviting in the broader GA community. Opinions, ideas, suggestions, examples of successful similar events?

Live2Learn

Quote from: OldGuy on July 27, 2018, 01:20:30 AM
We are talking about this as a squadron or group activity, perhaps inviting in the broader GA community. Opinions, ideas, suggestions, examples of successful similar events?

I know of no "similar events" in CAP.  However, my squadron has discussed doing one.  The biggest obstacle I think we (anyone in CAP) has with doing an aviation safety stand down is the opaque nature of CAP's aviation mishaps or near mishaps.  There are likely lots of reasons why there's reluctance to really dig into CAP incidents.  One is a reluctance I've witnessed to point fingers at current, or past members who really are good people who perhaps made a serious error.  Examples can be found on some of the older CAP Talk threads.

I'd suggest investing some time in looking at the NTSB data base.  While older accident reports lack much detail, those since 2000 are more complete.  Since 2009 dockets are posted.  I've requested dockets be posted for some older accidents and had reasonably good luck getting NTSB to put them on the public access site.  The NTSB posts "defining event" annual stats for accidents.  The Nall report also reports on major causal factors.  A review of those NTSB products and a look at CAP accident history might be informative.  Unfortunately, CAP ops doesn't say much about events 'with potential'  like blown cylinders or other engine malfunctions, nor control or auto pilot issues, or other near misses  that were handled successfully.  I wish more data was available, and that CAP Ops and Safety were proactive with digging into and discussing these problems.

etodd

What type of event are you envisioning where you would invite the community? That sounds more like an "Open House". 

When I think of a Stand Down Day, I think more about an "internal event" where we are discussing safety issues.

But if you have regular safety briefings at meetings, why have a Stand Down Day?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

jeders

Quote from: OldGuy on July 27, 2018, 01:20:30 AM

Is this for the annual safety day that every squadron is supposed to do between January and March or are we talking about an extra event?

If you want to invite the broader GA community (which is a great idea) you might want to consider bringing in FAA Safety Team members to do a presentation. Not only are you hopefully teaching people to be better pilots, but you also get some potential recruits.

If it's just for the squadron's safety day and it's just internal to the squadron, you might try creating a "safety game" that gets people more involved in the discussion. I had good results by doing a safety quiz game where the squadron is split into teams and are given a potentially unsafe situation with multiple options for what could go wrong. The team that gives the most likely outcome gets points; points are also given for properly describing how to mitigate the risk factors.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse