Main Menu

EF Johnson 5317

Started by ee1993, December 18, 2023, 08:43:02 PM

ee1993

I have several EF Johnson 5317 base/mobile radio I need to sell.  I can't seem to stop buying these when I see them on eBay and the are today less common. Not in business for profit.  I have version 1 radios for $100 plus $15 shipping. These work well on CAP repeaters analog and P25.  I can program for verified CAP members and add you local 2m ham repeaters for those with ham license.

ee1993

Note:  These radios will power nicely from car 12V "lighter" socket and, when used with a magnetic mount car antenna, will give you much greater range than you get with a handheld. I keep a kit in the trunk for a quick setup when stationery in the field.

HistoryMemo

C/A1C Wesley Pough

Primary Safety Cadet
CDI Cadet
ICUT and GTM3

"Michigan Wing, Hooah!"

SarDragon

Quote from: HistoryMemo on February 09, 2024, 09:32:25 PMWhere can I buy one?

Considering their age, I would recommend that you find a different radio to buy. The readily available supply has dried up, and the units I have seen recently have been less than totally suitable for CAP use. Programming is also an issue.

If you do decide to pursue that effort, make sure what you are getting is in the correct frequency range - 136-174 MHz. There are many similar units out there in other frequency ranges.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

ee1993

Quote from: SarDragon on February 10, 2024, 04:30:03 AM
Quote from: HistoryMemo on February 09, 2024, 09:32:25 PMWhere can I buy one?

Considering their age, I would recommend that you find a different radio to buy. The readily available supply has dried up, and the units I have seen recently have been less than totally suitable for CAP use. Programming is also an issue.

If you do decide to pursue that effort, make sure what you are getting is in the correct frequency range - 136-174 MHz. There are many similar units out there in other frequency ranges.

Yes, the radio I have are old but are in good condition and all program well with PCC 1.28.0.8 if you set the baud rate to 9600 and up the delay in tools.  New 5300 radios have additional features that are specific for trunked systems and have no benefits for CAP conventional system.  These early radios were made for EFJ by Motorola.

Bob

ee1993

Note:  These are model 242-5317 so VHF frequency range and will accept CAP code plugs.

Programs with:
PC Configure 1.28.0.8
Baud rate 9600
Send/Get Delay set to 15  (set from Tools, Preferences, Other)

ee1993

EFJ 5317 and 5317 Available