"Get out of work free" Call

Started by Smoothice, January 25, 2010, 03:40:28 PM

Thrashed

Most jobs are not going to let you do other stuff than your job during work.  You took that job with the understanding you would show up to do it.  I took a job knowing I can work any minute of the day/night, weekends, holidays, etc.  If I asked to do anything else instead, they would fire me. If you have an agreement with your employer to do it, fine.  Mine would laugh in my face if I asked for time off for anything, including a CAP mission.

Save the triangle thingy

heliodoc

Well folks there you go

My brothers in arms getting the squeeze by their employers.

IF CAP gets priority over the paid armed forces (reserves and Guard) CAP members who have not served and get a "pass" from an employer...

Going to look very fishy..

Proving to me that CAP folks getting the 15 days paid or non paid off from your employer, are just lucky and that riding on the coat tails of folks who wear the uniform getting the threats from their employer(s) are riding that very slippery slope.  There are volunteer groups that already have this and CAP is on that bandwagon!!

Choose your leave wisely, CAPers.  There a few of us out there unemployed and some of us in the Guard and Reserve system...WE are the ones that know these things.  We have ran point for you folks who continually want days off for a "mission" or the goodness of doing CAP's work

Remember, it's a different economy out there and my brothers who are coming home from Far East excursions are coming home to no work or the threats from their employers.  CAP members ought to look at those facts, and by really analyzing those facts and knowing some of the warfighters are coming home to this, makes me wonder when CAP folks are going to STAND DOWN for their 15 days of Annual training?

Think about some of these things when you address these threads...we folks who have been there (threats and unemployment) can speak with some authority.  Time off for CAP, prove to us RM and unemployed folk YOU deserve a day off for CAP ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) >:( >:( >:(

Eclipse

Knock it off.

Not everyone in CAP lives with hourly fear for their job, and this has nothing to do with comparing CAP leave to Armed Forces leave, which is already protected by federal law and (sadly) abused by both sides.

We get it - know your situation, make sure your company is comfortable with you being gone and that you are comfortable with the situation.

A lot of companies encourage their employees to be active in public and community service and in turn make a fair amount of hay out of that encouragement from a marketing and "corporate partner" standpoint.

Generally, most CAP members will never need to flash a state statute in front of their boss to go and help throw sandbags, fins an airplane or bail somebody out of a jam.

Its not a "get out of work free" card, and its not a "day off" if you use it that way, you deserve to have a problem.  Odds are you'll be working twice as hard as normal and possibly not getting paid for it.

Quote from: heliodoc on January 28, 2010, 04:54:16 AMmakes me wonder when CAP folks are going to STAND DOWN for their 15 days of Annual training?

15 days?  Yeah, I'll let you know next time I only do 15 days of full-time service for CAP in a given year.

Last year I had that knocked before the end of February. (and yes, they were week days, unpaid, no vacation)

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Reminds me of the discussions when I was on active duty and we would have a major storm roll in.  Only essential personnel had to report to duty and all non-essential personnel could stay home.    Most of us showed up for work simply because we were not going to label outselves as "non-essential".
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Rotorhead

Quote from: desertengineer1 on January 28, 2010, 03:17:07 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on January 27, 2010, 01:33:35 AM

I hope he did call his lawyer.

Nope.  Most charge about $300 per hour.  He can only really file a complaint with the Dept of Labor and hope it will be addressed by an Ombudsman within a couple of years.

Did he do that?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

N Harmon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2010, 05:08:21 AMA lot of companies encourage their employees to be active in public and community service and in turn make a fair amount of hay out of that encouragement from a marketing and "corporate partner" standpoint.

My employer is big on volunteering and community service. So much so that they even have their own volunteer service program for people who aren't otherwise involved in something.

I have a decent arrangement where I can take vacation time on short notice when called upon by CAP (normally they want a week or two notice).

NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

desertengineer1

Quote from: Rotorhead on January 28, 2010, 01:24:12 PM
Quote from: desertengineer1 on January 28, 2010, 03:17:07 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on January 27, 2010, 01:33:35 AM

I hope he did call his lawyer.

Nope.  Most charge about $300 per hour.  He can only really file a complaint with the Dept of Labor and hope it will be addressed by an Ombudsman within a couple of years.

Did he do that?

I don't think so.  He didn't go on the TDY, and is still employed, which eludes that he just let it go.

It's easy to say "just tell them to talk to your lawyer", but as I said earlier, the long term result is most likely no-win based on the last 5 years or so.  There's a huge difference between what the law says and what actually happens.  I'm hearing about three years before complaints are addressed legally with respect to USERRA violations.  The previous administration did, in my opinion, very little to back up a lot of talk about taking care of citizen soldiers. 

In most cases, I hope a properly managed "re-education" caused the issue to be resolved.  But you have to be extremely careful when pushing the legal button.  It's a Nuke option.

A very wise friend at work once said "remember, you could be right....right out the door".

I was more disgusted at the greedy division manager who cared more about her metrics than her employee's military responsibility.  Aside from being a blatant disregard for the law, it flies in the face of everything the citizen soldier stands for.  This guy made an oath to serve at the cost of his life if necessary, and this idiot manager cares more about her quarterly performance.  Yeah, don't get me started.... >:(

wingnut55

It is unfortunate that these bad things happen, however I like many that I know have had little problems with their employers and I am talking many aircrew. I think good public relation skills are important in all cases. CAP is not well known and the lack of missions makes us seem innocuous to many. However the job does get done by those who can get off to do it, or the crews are made up of retired country gentle-people.   I hope that some of you don't hold it against those who can respond because that would be a little shameful.

It is more important to realize the layered response we have to any situation. In most cases if it is an ELT we only need an Aircraft and a DF team, not much else (IC). My point is that this country depends on Volunteer Fireman and rescue crews in thousands of community's. Those community's don't fire those people!! Why be venomous over people who can, employers who do, States Who Give the Legal Permission. First and foremost: Do so with your employer's permission, don't force it down their throat, and don't use the time to take cadets to a museum!!   

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: wingnut55 on January 30, 2010, 11:18:33 AM
It is more important to realize the layered response we have to any situation. In most cases if it is an ELT we only need an Aircraft and a DF team, not much else (IC). My point is that this country depends on Volunteer Fireman and rescue crews in thousands of community's. Those community's don't fire those people!! Why be venomous over people who can, employers who do, States Who Give the Legal Permission. First and foremost: Do so with your employer's permission, don't force it down their throat, and don't use the time to take cadets to a museum!!
I think what many of us have tried to state is don't depend upon a law to cram down your employers' throats but instead sell the idea of what CAP is and what you do.  At times it just may not be possible for some(many) of us to get time off from work for a CAP mission, due to an important project that must be completed for our employers' benefit.

As far as Volunteer FD & EMS, in many rural communities they do have problems with staffing because many of their volunteers commute out of the area to paid employment.  So they've had to do some additional recruiting for retirees and housewives/house husbands that stay home or those that work from home and have some flexibility.  Some even use older teenager from the high schools to supplement fire & EMS crews.

So CAP can have the same staffing/response challenges of these other volunteer public safety organizations.
RM