Ethics concern

Started by TopFlight, November 02, 2006, 11:23:55 PM

TopFlight

I would appreciate some feedback on how to handle a sticky situation. Our squadron has received a cadet whom has returned as a Senior, after flying the nest to join the Armed Forces. This newly-minted "Senior" has a reputation of being very immature and lacking common sense. He/she (ambiguity intended) has some senior officers in leadership positions conned into feeling sorry for him/her. This cadet turned senior has an agenda to "show the cadets who's boss". He/she states to anyone whom will listen that he/she intends to whip the cadets into shape, similiar to his/her experience in boot camp. This young person turned senior the minute he/she turned 18 yrs old. My impression is that he/she has a very low self-esteem and wants to assume some type of authority. He/she made some very telling statements about his/herself, on the first day attending a meeting. He/she shared with several cadet parents that he/she had gotten into trouble with the law, placed in jail, and subsequently, was "invited" to leave after serving half of his/her enlistment. Another statement was, as paraphrased here, something to the effect of "I'm a master manipulator, I've got ____ & _____ wrapped around my finger. I can get them to do anything I want." These statements gave me a chill down my neck.
My question is, how does one deal with this situation, when one is not in a direct chain of command?
Maureen Robinson
Southeast Region

BillB

If the member was invited to leave the armed forces, chances are they did NOT get an honorable discharge. a disqualification for membership.Or the time serving jail time may also disqualify them for membership. The fingerprint check does not any check other that as referes to sexual or child abuse. So you might contact your IG and outline what you see as a problem. The IG can be contacted by any member regardless of the chain of command.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

lordmonar

What to do????

Tell your commander of your concerns......he is the arbitrator in issues dealing with a member's fitness to serve in CAP or hold leadership positions in the squadron.

Other than that, there is not a lot you can do other than watch this person like a hawk and be there when he/she crosses the line.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Check the unit copy of their CAPF 12 in the section on military service. It should state service, dates, and type of discharge. If what he says and what he submitted differ, he can be booted for lying on the form.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ELTHunter

Has the members application for Senior Membership been accepted by the unit commander and NHQ?  Does your unit commander have knowledge of this members history as a cadet?

If he/she has already been accepted by NHQ, there's probably not much you can do other then watch him/her closely.  If what you believe is true, it probably won't be long until he does something with/to cadets that he shouldn't be doing.  Your unit commander has the responsibility for appointments to staff positions.  Your Deputy Commander for Cadets also has responsibility for overshight of the cadet program and the other Senior Members that work with cadets.  I would discuss my concerns with the two of them, and if you see a problem, document it.

If an incident of hazing or abuse occurs, it needs to be reported promptly through your chain-of-command, and depending upon the seriousness of it, and your state laws, it might need to be reported to the appropriate authorities in parallel.

If you believe your unit commander and your Deputy Commander For Cadets are not responsive to your concerns, you can talk to the next higher echelon IG.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

ELTHunter

Your unit might also want to consider establishing a membership committee to screen new applicants and renewals.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

Psicorp

Ouch!  I'm sorry you're faced with that situation.  Definately discuss with your squadron's leadership what you'd heard and seen.  Be honest, be factual, and if needed get the assitance of those who have first hand information.

This individual is trouble waiting to for a time to happen, apparently he/she has already decided the "where" is your squadron.

Insist absolutely that this individual is not needed in the Cadet Program, but rather would do nicely as an Admin or Logistics Assistant, or maybe Moral Leadership Officer  (just kidding). 

Being "invited" to leave the military doesn't necessarily mean a less than honorable discharge.  It could be some officer decided that it would likely come to that and didn't want to have to deal with the paperwork, so they just didn't allow him/her to reenlist.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Becks

Its important to remember that just because you outrank the cadets as a senior, you don't necessarily have any command authority over them.  Speak to your squadrons CC and DCC regarding the situation, if it ends up manifesting as a problem the member can be suspended from interacting with the cadets.

BBATW

Eclipse

Quote from: Becks on November 03, 2006, 04:06:27 AM
Its important to remember that just because you outrank the cadets as a senior, you don't necessarily have any command authority over them.  Speak to your squadrons CC and DCC regarding the situation, if it ends up manifesting as a problem the member can be suspended from interacting with the cadets.

>>*BAM*<<

There it is, nutshell time.

I don't see this as an ethics issue, this is a command and CPPT issue.

You owe it to your CC to discuss it with him - he may well say "you're wrong" in which  case options are pretty clear, deal or move elsewhere, but I would certainly want to know about a situation like this.

"That Others May Zoom"

TopFlight

Thanks to all for your guidance. I spoke to the CC and DCC, prior to asking you all for input. I was very forthright in my concerns. The returning senior was welcomed back to the squadron, with open arms and much fanfare. I'm seriously shocked by the apathy shown regarding the moral conduct (self-reported) of this person. As you stated, deal or go elsewhere. I'm afraid I'm witnessing the degredation of a formerly outstanding unit.
Maureen Robinson
Southeast Region

Psicorp

Not necessarily.   Give it some time for this individual's true colors to show and others will see it too.   Just be sure to have another Officer with this individual whenever she/he is working with the cadets.  Be sure that the cadet leaders' concerns are heard to when/if they arrise.

Good luck, keep us posted...I'm quite curious to see/read what happens.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257