BGEN Anderson running for Virginia Legislature

Started by James Shaw, September 15, 2009, 01:33:31 PM

Flying Pig

Gen Anderson wasnt a pilot? What did he do in the Air force? If i remember correctly (and I may not) when he was National Commander wasnt he actually stationed at Maxwell at Air University? Like I said I dont know. I havent really dwelled that deep into this mans life.

I definantly agree he is a big supporter of CAP.

He wears the Master Missile Badge and Master Air Force Space Badge, meaning he was involved in missile and space programs, sattellites, space surveillance etc.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Gunner C on September 16, 2009, 02:57:08 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 16, 2009, 12:33:27 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on September 16, 2009, 06:11:55 AM
The competition for BG is stiff, I believe the statistic is 5% of Colonels get stars. That said the AF fully supported his taking all his corporate jobs in CAP from Wing King to National Commander. If anything killed his chances it's that in the 20+years that I've known him he never served with troops or as a commander but was always in a joint staff position.

Actually it's much less than that; the total number of USAF general officers at one time is limited by U.S. code; currently no more than 279 AF generals are on active duty. Few non-rated generals make it above Major General in the AF.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_(United_States)

I believe there are exceptions.  There are generals of the Regular Air Force, Air Force Reserve, and Air Guard.  Guard and reserve GOs can be called up for a specific appointment and not count against this total, IIRC.  They are then appointed for another AD term in that assignment, can return to their non-AD assignment, or apply for retirement if they are eligible.
That number also doesn't apply to GO's in Joint billets.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

NEBoom

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 16, 2009, 03:27:33 PM
Gen Anderson wasnt a pilot? What did he do in the Air force? If i remember correctly (and I may not) when he was National Commander wasnt he actually stationed at Maxwell at Air University? Like I said I dont know. I havent really dwelled that deep into this mans life.

I definantly agree he is a big supporter of CAP.

He wears the Master Missile Badge and Master Air Force Space Badge, meaning he was involved in missile and space programs, sattellites, space surveillance etc.

Early (or earlier at least) in his AF career he was a Missile Launch Officer.  If memory serves he was on Titan II's.  I think he was stationed at Little Rock AFB (OK, went and looked at his bio, it also lists Minuteman II Squadron level assignment as well.).

While at Offutt, he was in the Protocol Office, I believe at SAC HQ.  I think he had other assignments at Offutt, but I don't know for sure what they were.

After he left Nebraska I pretty much lost track of him.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Airrace

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: NEBoom on September 18, 2009, 01:03:17 AMEarly (or earlier at least) in his AF career he was a Missile Launch Officer.  If memory serves he was on Titan II's.  I think he was stationed at Little Rock AFB (OK, went and looked at his bio, it also lists Minuteman II Squadron level assignment as well.).

While at Offutt, he was in the Protocol Office, I believe at SAC HQ.  I think he had other assignments at Offutt, but I don't know for sure what they were.

After he left Nebraska I pretty much lost track of him.

Missile launch officer - 'conehead'  ;D

If he did time on Titans, it would have been at Little Rock, McConnell or Davis-Monthan. Minuteman IIs in the 80s and early 90s were at Grand Forks, Ellsworth and Whiteman, if I remember correctly.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

The CyBorg is destroyed

General Anderson was National Commander when I first joined CAP.

I never got to meet him, but from what I know of him, he'd be a very good choice to represent the Virginians in his district.  I hope he gets it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

genejackson

I've known Rich Anderson for 13 years and can tell you he is a most humble man, a most dedicated man and were I to live in his area, I'd most definitely vote for him.    Last year, he drove to our community to present a SPAATZ Award to a young man in our Squadron, something he certainly didn't have to do given his busy schedule.
If you ever have a chance to speak to Rich Anderson, you will leave awestruck over what a wonderful person you just shook hands with.  You will walk away from him feeling as if you just made a new best friend for life.   He needs to be our next President (just my humble opinion - but I know the man and his wife Ruth).

Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA

CAP.is.1337

I was with Mr. Anderson (rather than General Anderson? [Side note: What would be the proper way to refer to him now?]) in Richmond at the VCDL Lobby Day event this year. It was so weird walking in the GA lobby, and see Brig Gen Anderson in a suit with a GSL sticker! ;D We were in the same group that talked with our representatives and delegates.

I had no idea he was going to run until I got an email from a fellow CAPer saying he was going to run. From my personal experience, I wouldn't hesitate to vote for him if I was in his district!

I think it is commendable he's downplaying his CAP service, but I think he could emphasize it a little more.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

Cecil DP

Quote from: CAP.is.1337 on September 30, 2009, 04:38:24 PM
I was with Mr. Anderson (rather than General Anderson? [Side note: What would be the proper way to refer to him now?]) in Richmond at the VCDL Lobby Day event this year. It was so weird walking in the GA lobby, and see Brig Gen Anderson in a suit with a GSL sticker! ;D We were in the same group that talked with our representatives and delegates.

I had no idea he was going to run until I got an email from a fellow CAPer saying he was going to run. From my personal experience, I wouldn't hesitate to vote for him if I was in his district!

I think it is commendable he's downplaying his CAP service, but I think he could emphasize it a little more.
The most acceptable way is Col Anderson, using his retired USAF grade. If too many people refer to him as General , he could be considered a poser or a liar by those who don't know about CAP. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

CAP.is.1337

It looks like he won by 200 votes:
https://www.voterinfo.sbe.virginia.gov/election/DATA/2009/37C2EDEB-FACB-44C1-AF70-05FB616DCD62/UnOfficial/8_p3_s.shtml

QuoteMember House of Delegates (051)

Last Reported: Nov 3 2009 9:43PM EST

Richard L. Anderson   7,864   50.56%   Precincts Reporting:
    16 of 16 (100%)

Paul F. Nichols   7,664   49.27%

Write In   25   0.16%

Voter Turnout:
    15,553 of 42,988 active voters (36.17%)
    15,553 of 45,009 total voters (34.55%)   Votes by County/City
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: Cecil DP on September 30, 2009, 06:47:35 PM
The most acceptable way is Col Anderson, using his retired USAF grade. If too many people refer to him as General , he could be considered a poser or a liar by those who don't know about CAP.

Then let them learn about it.  He is an active CAP officer with the Rank of Brig General, how would CAP personnel be "lairs" if they call him by his CAP rank?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Flying Pig

He is better off going as Col.  Politics will cloud it when a rival says "YOU WERE NEVER A GENERAL!!" Then all his opponent is going to do is run ads with Anderson calling himself a General.  Then a small school girl with a tear running down her cheek will be cast for the commercial to say "Why did you lie to us Mr. Anderson, we trusted you."  Then a deep male voice will come on and say slowly "We trusted you to Mr. Anderson."

There isnt time for people to learn about CAP, and the last thing he wants as a candidate is to be put on the defensive nor does he have the time to explain CAP in a campaign.   Ive been deeply involved in political campaigns before and the last thing you want is to waste air time and $$$ explaining a misunderstanding.

Besides.....who cares now?   :clap:

Major Carrales

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 04, 2009, 03:38:25 AM
He is better off going as Col.  Politics will cloud it when a rival says "YOU WERE NEVER A GENERAL!!" Then all his opponent is going to do is run ads with Anderson calling himself a General.  Then a small school girl with a tear running down her cheek will be cast for the commercial to say "Why did you lie to us Mr. Anderson, we trusted you."  Then a deep male voice will come on and say slowly "We trusted you to Mr. Anderson."

There isnt time for people to learn about CAP, and the last thing he wants as a candidate is to be put on the defensive nor does he have the time to explain CAP in a campaign.   Ive been deeply involved in political campaigns before and the last thing you want is to waste air time and $$$ explaining a misunderstanding.

Besides.....who cares now?   :clap:

So, you are saying that CAP service is somehow a bad thing?  That having CAP rank is somehow destructive to a person because of the "collected ignorance" of a few (who are at this point hypothetical individuals). 

Sorry, I cannot subscribe to that.  Richard L. Anderson is a retired USAF Col. who hold the ranks of Brig General in the US Air Force Auxiliary. CAP Officers will call him Brig General Anderson, those honoring his USAF service will call him Col Anderson and we all all call him, Sir.

Any person trying to make such a supposition, that a man is a "liar" for claiming to be a Brig Gen when HE actually is a Brig General is a crack-pot. 

Related discussion:
By the way, I think all the "Admirals of the Great State of Nebraska" that were created by those on this board might have something to say about this.  Seeing that they are actual Admirals by order of that State's Governor.  Texas has a similar distinction for creating Admirals.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Fubar

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 04, 2009, 03:49:51 AMAny person trying to make such a supposition, that a man is a "liar" for claiming to be a Brig Gen when HE actually is a Brig General is a crack-pot.

Have you ever followed American politics before?

Major Carrales

Quote from: Fubar on November 04, 2009, 05:40:29 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on November 04, 2009, 03:49:51 AMAny person trying to make such a supposition, that a man is a "liar" for claiming to be a Brig Gen when HE actually is a Brig General is a crack-pot.

Have you ever followed American politics before?

And that is why you, Sir, are part of the problem.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CAP.is.1337 on November 04, 2009, 03:04:11 AM
It looks like he won by 200 votes:
https://www.voterinfo.sbe.virginia.gov/election/DATA/2009/37C2EDEB-FACB-44C1-AF70-05FB616DCD62/UnOfficial/8_p3_s.shtml

QuoteMember House of Delegates (051)

Last Reported: Nov 3 2009 9:43PM EST

Richard L. Anderson   7,864   50.56%   Precincts Reporting:
    16 of 16 (100%)

Paul F. Nichols   7,664   49.27%

Write In   25   0.16%

Voter Turnout:
    15,553 of 42,988 active voters (36.17%)
    15,553 of 45,009 total voters (34.55%)   Votes by County/City

From his facebook:

QuoteRich Anderson for Delegate  Prince William County is not blue, Prince William County is not purple, Prince William County is undeniably and reliably RED! Victory in the 51st for Rich Anderson!! Thanks to everyone who made this night possible!!!

Hm...less than a 1% margin, but it's undeniably and reliably RED! I love how anyone in politics takes up this color crap...

MIKE

Watch it!  This thread is already on a razors edge, and you want to give me a reason?
Mike Johnston

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MIKE on November 04, 2009, 01:46:34 PM
Watch it!  This thread is already on a razors edge, and you want to give me a reason?

If that was aimed at me, I don't really get it.

I saw the status first and assumed this was a double digit win, given the statement. Once I looked up the statistics/saw them in the thread, I was rightfully disappointed.

Not a dig at the man or anything else, just disappointment to statements based on fiction.

heliodoc

When he get into office, he have A LOT more to worry about than

1)  BG in the USAF Aux

2) CAP will be pretty faaaar down on priorities list when he gets situated

While it is admirable for some CAP members to admire his rank and grade, there are more important things in the VA legislature.  Surely he will be an ally to CAP.  But there are MORE important things than worrying about his BG ship.  Whatever the misunderstandings, and all the hype of advertising CAP more, some CAP members bring on the problem themselves and correcting them becomes a loooong process.

He will have more on his plate than worrying about CAP, that is for sure ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D