Main Menu

Submitting AU form 23

Started by AirDX, September 07, 2009, 02:43:59 AM

AirDX

I've been trying to enroll in a CAP extension course through AU, and according to the instructions, the only way they take enrollments is electronically, by clicking the "Email Form to:" button on the bottom of the PDF.

The problem is that when I do that (on three different computers, including my machine at work, .mil address) Adobe Reader pops up a box that says "That operation is not permitted", and that's as far as I get.

I've asked the question to the AU helpdesk, but I thought I'd try here while I wait for them to come back to work on Tuesday.

TIA,
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

IceNine

Have to tried on full acrobat or just reader?

I just tried on on Acrobat 7 with no issues.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

AirDX

Quote from: IceNine on September 07, 2009, 04:42:11 AM
Have to tried on full acrobat or just reader?

I just tried on on Acrobat 7 with no issues.

That's great if you HAVE the full-on acrobat.  I don't think most people do.  But thanks!

AirDX

Just read the fine print: "Adobe Acrobat 7.0 required."  >:(

That's stupid.

Thanks for the lead, though!  Now all I need is Acrobat.

AirDX

OK, actually figured it out:

For whatever reason, the BIG link at the bottom of the form generates the error message in Adobe Reader, but the tiny link at the very top works properly.  :-\

RiverAux

Quote from: AirDX on September 07, 2009, 06:25:25 AM
Thanks for the lead, though!  Now all I need is Acrobat.
Acrobat Reader is the free version, downloadable anywhere.  Never seen a form posted somewhere that required the regular version. 

brasda91

I was having problems last week enrolling a couple of my seniors.  I called them and was told the link was broken.  I downloaded the forms and e-mailed them directly as an attachment.  Got the confirmation e-mail a day or two later stating they had been enrolled.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

a2capt

On Macintosh with the AU Form 23, if it's opened in Preview.app instead of Acrobat Reader, you can fill it out, print it, click the PDF button, get a PDF print thats now filled it, attach it to an email and send that to student.services@maxwell.af.mil attached to an email.

Accomplishes the same thing, and you get a copy by virtue of it's a PDF on your drive now.

a2capt

Well, here's a new twist.

I submitted a form- using the address on the form, like I've always done and this time I get it kicked back saying I need to submit it to someone else and they provided a different email address at Maxwell.

But.. the form says .. and sends it to elsewhere.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on September 10, 2009, 03:17:02 PM
Well, here's a new twist.

I submitted a form- using the address on the form, like I've always done and this time I get it kicked back saying I need to submit it to someone else and they provided a different email address at Maxwell.

But.. the form says .. and sends it to elsewhere.

In this case its not a CAP document, and the expectation for most users is to submit it via the secure link on the form, so not much we can do here but get in line...

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

It's actually not a "secure" link.

Clicking that link saves itself and launches your default email client and passes itself as an attachment.

The very same thing you do if you "File->Save" and "Start->Programs->Email-0-Matic" and click your way to fame.

In so much that the last line in the instructions says if you wish to have a copy, enter yourself in the cc: field and of course, you get the same thing you sent in, looped right around back to you. A filled out PDF.

I know it's not "our" form.

I do .. however, wonder if .. perhaps it's because the submission is for Air War College, and that needs to go to someone else.

Thom

Quote from: a2capt on September 10, 2009, 03:38:46 PM
I do .. however, wonder if .. perhaps it's because the submission is for Air War College, and that needs to go to someone else.

I was under the impression (and I'm too lazy to go research it...) that Air War College enrollments were handled totally separately due to the different nature of the school and the prerequisite rank requirements.

You might check on that before you send the form on to the new address, even if that is the right person it still might not be the right form or the right information to send to them.

Thom Hamilton

a2capt

Air War College is listed in the CAP regs as one of the examples, common course numbers, along with it's prerequisites and referring to the AU 23 form.

But perhaps, as well, that other part of it is the rest of the equation.

I've asked along with the re-submission for clarification.