Main Menu

First Find

Started by Al Sayre, July 21, 2006, 11:50:02 AM

Al Sayre

Got my first find last night at a CAP meeting.  One of the SM's was getting ready to launch his personal A/C when he heard an ELT while checking his radios.  Understand this is a entire Flight of Noob's without UDF experience(including me).  He came in and told me about it, so I went to try and check it out.  We don't have any DF equipment, so I borrowed a Windshield heat reflector and used that to shade his antenna.  I was able to get it down to either due north or due south, but had no way to figure signal strength.  Had him go ahead and launch and fly the pattern, he reported back on Unicom that he was losing the signal when he was close to the airport.  I figured his wing was shading the antenna from a signal below, so I recalled him and ran home and got my handheld and a roll of tinfoil.  When I got back, we sent the cadets around to start tenting the nearby ELT antennas with the foil, while I tried a little body shading. To make a long story short, after about 10 minutes I found it in a hanger in a C-182 under repair.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Becks

Congrats, welcome to the find club!  ;D

BBATW