Taking the plunge: Joining CAP

Started by Fubar, July 25, 2009, 11:31:28 AM

Fubar

Greetings!

I am considering joining up with the CAP. I've done extensive research on the Internet, looking at various wing and squadron websites, checked out some blogs, and poured through the archives here. As an outsider looking in, it appears to me that like many of the volunteer organizations I've been a member of in the past, the CAP is made up of dedicated volunteers who tend to be underutilized by decision makers, underfunded by the national leadership, and contains a messy political environment.

Like I said, like just about every darn group I've been associated with.  ;)

I have a passion for emergency services, communications, and aviation so I've decided to give the CAP a try (assuming a local squadron will take me). I've visited a few different squadrons in my area and I think I found the one that is the best fit for me (and hopefully I'm a good fit for the squadron).

I'll be turning in my application in a few days and I'd to pose this question to the forum. Looking back at when you joined the CAP, whether last month, last year, or twenty years ago, what would you have done differently? Any hard lessons learned that could ease the entry process into the CAP for me and other new folks? All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for hosting this forum, I look forward to participating.

P.S. I apologize if this thread topic has run before. Nothing similar came up in the several searches I tried.

CAPTShaw

Capt David Shaw, CAP SQ 606
Founder
Greene County Composite Squadron 606 (12JAN17)

FlyingTerp

Quote from: IGMR on July 25, 2009, 01:11:10 PM
I wish I had joined sooner!

Ditto.  Wish I knew about the cadet program 25 years ago.  Luckily, my kids will know!

Welcome!

Thom

Here's a couple of items that I would have found helpful:

1.  Silly little thing, but on your Fingerprints, try as hard as you can to get them done on a LiveScan machine rather than ink-rolled.  The FBI has become extremely picky about prints, and routinely kicks back a large percentage of the hand-rolled prints these days.  Just better to do it right the first time than to have to go back and do it again, later.  Remember to bring your CAP-provided Card with you, and they'll print them onto that card for you.

2.  Get a copy of the Great Start Booklet for Adults.  It isn't bad, and it has a nice Checklist of things to do in your first 12 months in CAP.  I printed out just the checklist pages, and carry it with me for all CAP activities as a reminder of where I'm at and what's next.  I've added to mine several times, with things that need to get done but aren't on the list.

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Great_Start_Booklet_4B0ED974727B5.pdf

3.  Some more recommended reading:

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P151_9028588D89DD2.pdf  Updated CAP Guide to Protocol

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_university/level_i_foundations_course.cfm  Level I Foundations Course

4.  Those things I added to the Checklist from the Great Start booklet, you can do anytime online.  Here's some things to occupy your time, and you won't have to do them later:

Before Joining:  FEMA NIMS/ICS Courses IS700, IS800, IS100, IS200  (They are informative though not exactly fun), Red Cross (or AHA) First Aid and CPR if you don't already have them

After Joining:  Ground Handling Video, CAPT 117 parts 1, 2, and 3 (ES Refresher), Equal Opportunity Training, Yeager Award (read the book and take the online test), ORM Safety Test (Basic & Intermediate), SET (Skills Evaluator Training)

Note:  Those are all things that are NOT in the Checklist in the Great Start guide already.

Just knocking those things out of the way will occupy a few hours, enlighten you on some things about the CAP bureaucracy as well as get these tasks out of the way so they don't hold you up down the road.  And all of them can be done immediately after you have your CAPID and set up your eServices account.

5.  Finally: From day one in CAP, keep your own copy of ALL your records.  CAP is, if not quite notorious, then at least occasionally known for losing paperwork.  You'll want to have your own set to refer to if they lose their copy.

Good Luck!

Thom Hamilton

RADIOMAN015

My advice is to be up front about what your interests are & what you can contribute to the organization.  As a volunteer you can determine at will what activities (or for that matter what staff position(s)) you want to participate in).  HOWEVER, once you commit to doing something, please do it to the best of your abilities.  Subsequently, if you find that you are over your head/can't commit the time to the tasks you've accepted, than let your squadron commander know right away.

Surely every unit wants senior members that are very flexible & available for a variety of tasks but it really is up to you to decide how flexible you want to be in helping the squadron.  I personally believe you should be right up front with what you will & won't do. >:D 

Finally IF participating in CAP activities gets to be too much like your daily grind at work, (or something else in the unit is making you unhappy)  than PLEASE talk with someone about it (e.g. your squadron commander), just don't stop showing up :(     

RM         

lordmonar

You have to be your own advocate.

Most squadrons are very busy...and if you wait to get asked to do something then you will just get ignroed.

Find a mentor/freind/trainer quick.

Go to all the meetings.  Volunteer for the crap details and get yourself in the mind and eye of the squadron members.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Kaye Downing

Hello,

I have been in CAP only a couple of months and I am really enjoying it. There is always something to do. The only problem I have run into is the fingerprints. I had to do them again and am still waiting for the results. I do not understand why they don't look at my military record or my place of former employment (I am retired) and get them from there. My police department is small and does the ink prints only.
     By all means attend meetings. In my squadron we are always having some kind of training and there is always something new to learn. Do not hesitate to learn things from cadets.  Ask plenty of questions.  Look through all of the various specialities and pick one to your liking to start off with.
     Stay away from the politics for they are not fun. Enjoy the social and professional aspects of your squadron. It is a fine organization and when you do Emergency Services you see first hand the results of your efforts.
     I know I plan to stay in CAP for along time. It is not only a service but a great hobby.

Kaye Downing, SM
FL 383
Jacksonville Composite Squadron

EMT-83

Look for a round hole/round peg opportunity and run with it.

In other words, find something that you're interested in, and the squadron really needs help with. Learn everything there is to know about that subject, and become the "go to" guy when someone has a question.

As stated previously, don't sit back and wait for someone to give you something to keep you busy.

cdk77

Craig Kursinsky, 1st Lt, CAP
Dover Composite Squadron, MER-DE-006

Fubar

I want to thank everyone for their comments. Please, keep them coming!

The links and information not included in the getting started booklet where particularly helpful, thanks!

I have been a volunteer with a group that I wish I'd known about sooner. If that's not an indicator you've found a good opportunity, I don't know what is.

Thanks again everyone!

coolkites

We are all assuming that you are an adoult but either way I must agree with all of those who said they wish they had joined sooner. Also make sure to sign up for all the newsletters in print or email. Also as said earlier at first sign up for the hangar cleanout the trip to the dump the other jobs that most people dont want to do this way you can show them that you really care about what you are doing. Your original post was sadly amazingly accurate

If you ever have any questions or need help feel free to contact anyone of us here and ask for it.
Sincerely Cadet Airman 1st Class [redacted] PCR-OR-007

Dad2-4

I was a cadet for only one year, but when my two boys were old enough we found a local unit and all 3 of us joined up. I've gone through one period of inactivity since and let my membership lapse due to personality conflicts and lack of support from my unit CC, but that's all patched up and things are moving forward again.
Like others have said, look for something you like in a squadron you like and run with it. No, CAP isn't a perfect organization, but there's lots of good in it, and lots of good people.