"Multiple" Awards - includes Non-CAP awards?

Started by Orville_third, July 03, 2009, 03:29:02 AM

Pylon

Quote from: citizensoldier on July 07, 2009, 04:28:21 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 07, 2009, 03:25:35 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 07, 2009, 03:20:48 AM
Civil Air Patrol allows state decorations? ???

No, John. Read it again. The Air Force allows them on the uniform, Civil Air Patrol did at one time (I'd have to dig out actual hardcopies to say when), but does not any longer. I was pointing out that CAP and Air Force policy don't always mirror.

Officially, Civil Air Patrol pubs do not permit civilian medals, although "you know who" said they could be worn after some CAP members that were Federal employees received some. I think that was about a year and a half ago.

So, does this include state military ribbons from the National Guard?

CS

Correct --- state decs of any flavor are not allowed for wear on the CAP uniform.  Only federal military awards earned while in the Armed Forces.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Lt Oliv

Quote from: Orville_third on July 03, 2009, 03:29:02 AM
OK. CAP regulations prohibit a member from earning multiple awards for lifesaving for a single incident. However, there is the possibility of an outside agency giving you an award for said incident. For example, someone could conceivably earn the Gold or Silver Lifesaving Medal (The USCG awards it- but anyone can earn it) and a CAP Save ribbon (Or Bronze or Silver Medal of Valor). Or, you can conceivably save a Canadian and get a Canadian medal for bravery (A Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer just got named as the recipient of the Star of Courage) in addition to a CAP award. (And this does not include state or local, non-medal awards.)
So, does the aforementioned "multiple awards" include non-CAP awards?

For more info on the Lifesaving Medals:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifesaving_Medal
For the USCG member who just got a Canadian award:
http://www.gg.ca/honours/search-recherche/honours-desc.asp?lang=e&TypeID=br&id=62016

Do wildly hypothetical situations involving your receiving multiple awards improve your ability to volunteer in CAP?

I'm all about discussing if the award you received from (insert agency, bureau, state/county/local government) is, was or should be allowed on uniforms.  However, how much time and energy do you really need to spend on which medals you can put on your uniform in the event you should save someone and be awarded medals by CAP, USCG Aux and the Canadian Government? 

If you're here for the "bling" I hear the U.S. Ranger Corps gives out plenty of it...

Hawk200

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Pylon on July 07, 2009, 04:30:08 PM
Quote from: citizensoldier on July 07, 2009, 04:28:21 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 07, 2009, 03:25:35 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 07, 2009, 03:20:48 AM
Civil Air Patrol allows state decorations? ???

No, John. Read it again. The Air Force allows them on the uniform, Civil Air Patrol did at one time (I'd have to dig out actual hardcopies to say when), but does not any longer. I was pointing out that CAP and Air Force policy don't always mirror.

Officially, Civil Air Patrol pubs do not permit civilian medals, although "you know who" said they could be worn after some CAP members that were Federal employees received some. I think that was about a year and a half ago.

So, does this include state military ribbons from the National Guard?

CS

Correct --- state decs of any flavor are not allowed for wear on the CAP uniform.  Only federal military awards earned while in the Armed Forces.

I thought the AF only allowed state awards on uniforms worn by Guardsmen on state duty.  If called to federal active duty for more than 30 days, they have to remove them, unless something changed recently.
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 09, 2009, 12:42:46 AMI thought the AF only allowed state awards on uniforms worn by Guardsmen on state duty.  If called to federal active duty for more than 30 days, they have to remove them, unless something changed recently.

Here's the applicable criteria: "4.3. Non-Air Force Service Awards. Air National Guard (ANG) members wear state decorations when serving in state status but not while on federal active duty."

State decs used to be addressed in a NGB supplement to 2903. Since the current AFI addresses it, the NGB supplement is no longer applicable.

Civil Air Patrol now disallows the wear of such awards on the uniform. For the Air Force, wear is acceptable under certain circumstances. There are badges that CAP permits permanently for wear, but the Air Force only allows under certain circumstances.  I dislike the differences in policy.

I don't think the Air Force would have any problem with allowing other service badges on CAP uniforms, it's already permitted. State decs used to be allowed, but were written out of 39-1. It's all rather screwy.  Either allow or disallow them all. I wouldn't care to lose my military decs & insignia, but I'd adapt. Just having it spelled out would be nice.

Orville_third

No offense. I just ask hypotheticals because I like them. And, while I do like ribbons on my rack (blame all those MicroProse flight sims...), I do want to actually earn them- and, no I don't trust HWSNBN...
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing

Lt Oliv

Quote from: Orville_third on July 14, 2009, 02:05:45 AM
No offense. I just ask hypotheticals because I like them. And, while I do like ribbons on my rack (blame all those MicroProse flight sims...), I do want to actually earn them- and, no I don't trust HWSNBN...

I like a good hypothetical as much as anyone.  But they can  be taken to the extreme...

"What if I save a life and am awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, but I also get citations for the same incident from the French, Canadians and British...."

Orville_third

Well, that did happen (sort of) to Sgt. York! :)
Captain Orville Eastland, CAP
Squadron Historian
Public Affairs Officer
Greenville Composite Squadron
SC Wing