Main Menu

Dress Uniform?

Started by Becks, June 06, 2006, 03:32:00 PM

flyguy06

The high collar looks like the USMC uniforms

CAP428

These do look kinda star-trekky but they're not too bad, but I still wouldn't choose them if it were up to me.  I'm not entirely fond of the current service dress style but I would prefer the current style to these.  I would like to see a bit more uniformity amongst the branches, but with enough distinction to still hold each branch's own identity.  For now, though, I'm fine with the current service dress uniform.

Hammer

Quote from: cadetnelson on June 09, 2006, 05:42:25 AM
" air force".

One thing, and I don't mean t be an @$$, but it's Air Force.  Just an FYI the "A" and the "F" are capitolized.

md132

I pretty much don't care what kind of uniform the USAF goes to.  As long as it's functional and does what it needs.  Besides even if USAF goes to this new service dress doesn't mean we will be wearing it anytime soon.  An example is our current service coat.  Didn't it take some time before CAP was able to wear it?  I didn't particularly like the old service uniform because it does remind me of the Army uniform and I wear my Army Class A's a lot.  One good thing about the current coat is that it is lighter. 

I will wear what ever is prescribed.  So if my SDF goes to ACU's I will have to purchase them.  The Army Dress blues aren't what they are made to be though.  If I don't have to have them I won't get one.  Right now only Army Officer's and some SDF officers are required to have one.  It's optional for enlisted.  Thank goodness.  They are double the cost of Army Greens.  Not including the converstion kit for enlisted. 

IMHO, cadetnelson, the Army Dress blues may look nicer, but it is definately more uncomfortable.  If had a choice I would wear Army Greens instead of Dress Blues.  Also usually when term of "playing Air Force" is used it usually means CAP members WHO ARE NOT Military personnel using privilages they are NOT entitled (AAFES (Not including food courts, and MCSS, strolling for salutes, correcting airmen, privates, etc.  And I have seen many. 

capchiro

I have a silly question, looking at the proposed new jackets, would one wear a shirt under it and what kind?  collarless?  t-shirt?  Nehru style?  or does one never remove the jacket? 
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Becks

Quote from: capchiro on June 09, 2006, 02:57:57 PM
I have a silly question, looking at the proposed new jackets, would one wear a shirt under it and what kind?  collarless?  t-shirt?  Nehru style?  or does one never remove the jacket? 

Heh well if the jacket is never to be removed I know what I'm wearing under it.

o yeah!  ;D

BBATW

ZigZag911

Quote from: shorning on June 09, 2006, 03:33:10 AM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 09, 2006, 03:18:48 AM
Current AF uniform is modelled on US Postal Service (I kid you not, so was Army green!)

You do know that the current Air Force service dress uniform and the current Army Class A's are totally different, right?  The Air Force service dress used to look like the Army's Class A's, but that hasn't been the case in more than a decade.

If you are referring to the 'change' in AF service dress during the 1990s, I have always thought that was a minor alteration....did not look all that different to me, semed mainly a change in the cloth material used.

If, however, there was a significant change in the Army green, no, I was not aware of that, thanks for pointing it out.

ZigZag911

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 08, 2006, 06:25:18 PM
.   I also did like getting rid of the nameplate.  Too bad that did not stick around.  We will have to wait and find out what is decided upon.

Perhaps it looked better without nameplate, but in a large organization such as USAF (or even CAP) it's helpful not to need to continually ask names or introduce oneself!

shorning

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 09, 2006, 06:23:21 PM
If you are referring to the 'change' in AF service dress during the 1990s, I have always thought that was a minor alteration....did not look all that different to me, semed mainly a change in the cloth material used.

Perhaps I didn't understand what you were driving at.  The material and the cut are the biggest changes to the current Air Force service coat.  Yes, somewhat unfortunately, it does look a little more like a business coat, but oddly that works for the Air Force some how.  I don't think anyone would consider it to be the same as the Army's Class A's though.  Perhaps the Navy's service coat, although single-breasted.  Having worn both versions of the Air Force's service dress, the current service coat is a much better choice.

flyguy06

Quote from: md132 on June 09, 2006, 02:53:36 PM
  I didn't particularly like the old service uniform because it does remind me of the Army uniform

It's supposed to look like the Army Dress unifrom. remember, the USAF came out of the Army. Just like the Navy and Marines have a relationship and many of their uniforms have a similar design, the same hold true for the Army and Air Force. They have a relationship although they are two seperate services. I uderstand the MArines aepart of the Dept of the NAvy so please no boduy remind me of that. I am speaking more historical. The Air Force traces its heritage from the U.S. Army and so many uniform items are similar.

CAP428

Any particular reason why the two guys are wearing nametags but the lady isn't?

Earhart1971

Quote from: capchiro on June 06, 2006, 05:06:37 PM
If you can find some pictures of the uniforms worn by pilots and officers in WWI, you will see a strange resemblance, such as the collar, belt, coat length, etc.  Interesting..

There are other changes in the Wind, like moving the Air Force back under the Army, as the Army Air Corps.

CAP will become the CAF - Civil Air Force and we will be a seperate Service.

Hey, don't you just love Change!

shorning

Quote from: CAP428 on June 10, 2006, 08:28:18 AM
Any particular reason why the two guys are wearing nametags but the lady isn't?

Testing different options.  The idea is to show serveral possible combinations to see what the Air Staff likes best.

Hammer

Quote from: Earhart1971 on June 10, 2006, 03:20:54 PM
Quote from: capchiro on June 06, 2006, 05:06:37 PM
If you can find some pictures of the uniforms worn by pilots and officers in WWI, you will see a strange resemblance, such as the collar, belt, coat length, etc.  Interesting..

There are other changes in the Wind, like moving the Air Force back under the Army, as the Army Air Corps.

CAP will become the CAF - Civil Air Force and we will be a seperate Service.

Hey, don't you just love Change!

If you are serious, which I think you are, please post sources!  It isn't because I doubt you, it's just so I have something to be like "Why" when I'm reading it.

ZigZag911

Quote from: shorning on June 09, 2006, 08:40:25 PM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 09, 2006, 06:23:21 PM

Perhaps I didn't understand what you were driving at.  The material and the cut are the biggest changes to the current Air Force service coat.  Yes, somewhat unfortunately, it does look a little more like a business coat, but oddly that works for the Air Force some how.  I don't think anyone would consider it to be the same as the Army's Class A's though.  Perhaps the Navy's service coat, although single-breasted.  Having worn both versions of the Air Force's service dress, the current service coat is a much better choice.

You are absolutely correct, it was the older version of USAF dress & Army green that were based on postal service.

I don't particularly care for the 'business suit' appearance of the current USAF uniform, but that is a matter of taste....and a moot point personally, since I use the gray/white out of necessity.

Becks

Could always go back to these, i think they look pretty spiffy:

BBATW

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Becks on June 29, 2006, 07:32:59 PM
Could always go back to these, i think they looks pretty spiffy:

Woah, awesome!  Where'd you find that?

BillB

It's currently listed on eBay and bid up to over $500.00
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Becks

yup, its a vintage WWII cap uniform on ebay, thought it was pretty cool

BBATW

arajca

It is very cool.

off topic
Since National is looking to create specific training for aerial photo takers and ARCHER operators that may not be part of the Observer training; and the idea of an "Aircrew Badge" for non-pilot non-observer aircrew members has been brought up, how about using the old CAP wings as an Aircrew Badge with just one level? Make them shiney to match the current bling finish.