Cadet Command Voice

Started by GoofyOne, May 17, 2009, 08:39:25 PM

USADOD

well this is what the U.S. Army has to say

The loudness of a command is adjusted to the number of soldiers in the unit. Normally, the commander is to the front and center of the unit and speaks facing the unit so that his voice reaches everyone.

a. The voice must have carrying power, but excessive exertion is unnecessary and harmful. A typical result of trying too hard is the almost unconscious tightening of the neck muscles to force sound out. This produces strain, hoarseness, sore throat, and worst of all, indistinct and jumbled sounds instead of clear commands. Ease is achieved through good posture, proper breathing, correct adjustment of throat and mouth muscles, and confidence.

b. The best posture for giving commands is the position of Attention. Soldiers in formation notice the posture of their leader. If his posture is unmilitary (relaxed, slouched, stiff, or uneasy), the subordinates will imitate it.

c. The most important muscle used in breathing is the diaphragm—the large muscle that separates the chest cavity from the abdominal cavity. The diaphragm automatically controls normal breathing and is used to control the breath in giving commands.

d. The throat, mouth, and nose act as amplifiers and help to give fullness (resonance) and projection to the voice.

In my opinion, the reality of it is that people whom project their voice with confidence, loudness and clarity are looked upon favorably. I certainly was by my Command Sergeant Major. Personally as the DCC I will not judge a cadet based on their ability to broadcast their voice to a Wing when they are only supposed to be speaking to a flight. But I certainly encourage them to be more confident with their command voice. Roll the "Marine Corps Drill Instructor" video again ... ...

Now I leave you with a short cadence lol ;D

Sitting around with no where to go, you talking to jane you talking to joe, then a recruiter came to me...say what you want to be 8)
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

Spike

Project, don't shout!

Watch an infomercial and you will see how the pitch man projects what he is saying, without having to shout.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Spike on May 22, 2009, 01:52:25 PM
Project, don't shout!

Watch an infomercial and you will see how the pitch man projects what he is saying, without having to shout.

Maybe we need Billy Mays to instruct us on how to do it ;D.

Rotorhead

Quote from: NCO forever on May 22, 2009, 03:45:07 PM
Project, don't shout!

Hi, Billy Mays here for Civil Air Patrol!
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Always Ready

Quote from: Rotorhead on May 22, 2009, 04:45:14 PM
Project, don't shout!

Imagine the number of people who would join if he did a infomercial on us...>:D

DC

Quote from: Always Ready on May 22, 2009, 09:11:47 PM
Quote from: Rotorhead on May 22, 2009, 04:45:14 PM
Project, don't shout!

Imagine the number of people who would join if he did a infomercial on us...>:D
It would probably be a better investment than sponsoring a racecar...

BrandonKea

Quote from: DC on May 23, 2009, 12:14:31 AM

Everyone always bashes the racecar... lol
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 24, 2009, 05:00:13 AM

and not just in the race either......

biomed441

Perhaps when our car starts winning, people might start appreciating it.  Otherwise, billy would be a much wiser investment.  And he can teach our cadets how to project their voices properly at the same time!

BrandonKea

Quote from: Captainbob441 on May 24, 2009, 10:58:51 PM
Perhaps when our car starts winning...

Hard to do, there is no more car :-(

Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Rotorhead

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 24, 2009, 05:00:13 AM

It was a poor investment.

As a recruiting tool, an agency has to sponsor a car for a long period of time, as well as buy other media and do in-person recruiting, for the car sponsorship to work effectively.

Just slapping CAP decals on a racecar was never going to improve recruitment; it was like throwing money away.

..and I'm a NASCAR fan.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ