Civil Air Patrol History

Started by James Shaw, May 24, 2006, 04:45:25 PM

James Shaw

My name is Jim Shaw and I am the CAP Assistant National Historian and the Southeast Region Historian. I am trying to find new ways to share out history with those interested. I am willing to answer questions as best as I can and as accurate as possible. I look forward to sharing with everyone willing to listen or read.  ;D
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Chris Jacobs

One quesion that maybe you have a deffinate answer for.  How many U-Boats did CAP sink in WWII?  I somtimes get people saying 3 others saying 2.  I aways thought it was 3.  Just wondering.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

James Shaw

We were officially credited with 2 according to records but it was possibly 3. They could never confirm the third so we didnt get it. Later in the 1960's the Navy actually withdrew their support of the first two saying they coould never officially prove we had sunk the first 2. The War Department never withdrew their support of the first 2 so we have still received recognition for them.
Jim Shaw

Chris Jacobs

That answers my question very well.  I can now be the person who really knows what the answer.  Thank you.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

drcomm

Do you have a list of the different locations National Headquarters has been located and the dates at each from beginning to present?  As a cadet, I was a member of the Ellington Composite Squadron, TX-098, in Houston, TX and knew that National was there for a time.  I have an old Leadership Laboratory Manual with "Ellington A.F.B." listed as the National HQ. 

Thanks for the service you are providing here!
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

BillB

The original CAP HQ was in the Office of Civilian Defense on Park Ave.in New York City. It moved from there to Bolling AFB, then to Ellengton, and finally to Maxwell.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: drcomm on May 26, 2006, 10:47:54 PM
Do you have a list of the different locations National Headquarters has been located and the dates at each from beginning to present?  As a cadet, I was a member of the Ellington Composite Squadron, TX-098, in Houston, TX and knew that National was there for a time.  I have an old Leadership Laboratory Manual with "Ellington A.F.B." listed as the National HQ. 

Another interesting little tidbit from an earlier online newsletter from the SER Historian... the NHQ building at Ellington was made of wood construction and somewhat resembled the Ponderosa Ranch house from the old Bonanza TV series. Being it was mostly wood construction, it presented a possible fire hazard, and the Air Force was getting away from that type of construction. When Ellington closed and NHQ moved to Maxwell, CAP NHQ took over the old base hospital building.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

How can we substantiate my unit's initial charter?

We have photos back to 1942, but NHQ can only substantiate back to 1970.

GLR-IL-049.

Thanks!

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Eclipse on May 27, 2006, 01:55:37 AM

GLR-IL-049.

Thanks!

Good question. I'm thinking the charter numbers date back from 1970 or so. At first, they were numerical in alphabetical order, i.e. 08 - Florida, 09 - Georgia, 42 - Texas.  Puerto Rico's was 52. Later, they adopted the current state-abbreviation charter number.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Chris Jacobs

A while back we ran into a person at a veterans day parade and asked us who we were.  then they asked us where we were stationed and they said they were in the same squadron back in WWII.  i thought that was pretty cool.  It might have been a different squadron name then but they said they met on the same airbase that we do today.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

BillB

Units with long histories need to consider doing an Oral History Project. That is contact prior members of a unit and get as much history as they can remember. Get information such as names of previous commanders, names of old time members that might be able to furnish a link back further in the past. Also get information on what the person remembers of missions, cadet and senior activities or anything that would fill in the blanks of information. And lastly furnish a copy of whatever information is gained to the CAP National Historian. You might read "From Maine To Mexico" to see the type information that might be added to your units history.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

James Shaw

Quote from: drcomm on May 26, 2006, 10:47:54 PM

I have them and will try to post them soon. I am in the middle of moving from one house to a new house and have to locate the info.
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

GLR-IL-049.

Thanks!

Many of the records from that era have been lost, destroyed, or simply not cared for. The best way is to go as far back as you have with stationary or some type of official communication from NHQ. The letter designators for the wings started out matching the Army Air Corps designators for each state. I have some records from that time period and may be able to help as soon as I locate them. It will be a few motnhs as  I am in the middle of moving to a new house. Send me a private message with details and I will see what I can do.
Jim Shaw

Eclipse

PM Away!

Thanks for the help.

"That Others May Zoom"

captrncap

Does CAP have a listing of units and when they were chartered? It would like to know which is the oldest and down the line by wing.

SarDragon

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 27, 2006, 08:39:50 AM

GLR-IL-049.

Thanks!

Good question. I'm thinking the charter numbers date back from 1970 or so. At first, they were numerical in alphabetical order, i.e. 08 - Florida, 09 - Georgia, 42 - Texas.  Puerto Rico's was 52. Later, they adopted the current state-abbreviation charter number.

My original unit in NJ had a charter number in 1964 that is unchanged (except for the wing designation) since then (29059 -> NJ059).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

I have been in Civil Air Patrol for over 20 years both as a Cadet and Senior member. I have always enjoyed CAP and the people in it. The organization as a whole has been very accomidating and open. In WWII when the military was segregated, CAP was always inclusive of all races and women.I admired that a lot. I am sure there were small issues, but I am talking about CAP as a whole.

Wlla Brown was the first African American female to earn a FAA commerical pilots license in the USA. She was also a member of Civil Air Patrol. There are pics of her on the internet.

In the early days of CAP, what percentage of African Americans were in CAP? How many African American Wing Comanders and/ Regiaon Comders have we had? I dont see many today. maybe one or two. Just curious and i think its good history to know.  Thanks.

flyguy06

Wow. I gues nobody knows the answer to my question.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 13, 2006, 03:54:39 AM

Not so much as that... many records of CAP NHQ, regions and wings have been poorly kept or destroyed - it hasn't been until recently that better care has been taken to preserve historical archives. So, at the present time it may be difficult to get a specific answer to your question regards how many wing/region commanders were African-American.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

shorning

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 13, 2006, 03:54:39 AM

Not so much.  I thought all CAP members were blue...