Main Menu

New CAPP 216 released

Started by Eclipse, May 12, 2009, 06:02:55 PM

Eclipse

Appears to be more comprehensive than the previous version, and adds a fair number of new requirements to specialty.

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P216_A3EECB272DFF7.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

The CP shop has been busy...they've released a new o-flight syllabus, the Respect On Display phamplet, and some slightly revised versions of the CAPF 52 series forms too.

CAPP 52-7 Cadet Orientation Flight Syllabus
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P052_007_9F576CAE3B358.pdf

CAPP 151 Respect On Display
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P151_9028588D89DD2.pdf

Good stuff all around!
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

AlphaSigOU

And the guy on the cover of the cover of the CAPP 216 pamphlet I recognize very well; Lt Col Janon Ellis and I were both cadets in the same squadron (North Miami Cadet Squadron, Florida Wing, now defunct).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

IceNine

Sunofa...

I was literally a TLC away from senior... Back to the drawing boards.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Spike

^ As were many others.  TLC is a great course, but why mandatory attendance.  I learned much more from mentors in the SQD and from reading the Cadet Program material than I learned at TLC. 

Since TLC is Mandatory, perhaps Logistics track Officers should attend a course on how to keep ledgers and properly fill out form 37's.  Maybe the Unit Commanders Course should be mandatory of anyone wishing to become Wing and Region or National Commander.

One more costly requirement of membership.  Good thing my Wing now only offers TLC once a year in a "non-central location".

IceNine

I sanctioned a TLC to be taught in my group cause I was tired of that...

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pylon

Quote from: Spike on May 13, 2009, 03:48:32 AM
^ As were many others.  TLC is a great course, but why mandatory attendance.  I learned much more from mentors in the SQD and from reading the Cadet Program material than I learned at TLC. 

It's mandatory because many, if the not the majority, of new CP officers don't have great mentors available.  You were lucky.   Many CP officers are in new units, or stepping into the role with nobody experienced to teach them how to do it.  Many CP officers are in Groups or Wings without an active CP officer at their higher echelon to help them either.

Since TLC is Mandatory, perhaps Logistics track Officers should attend a course on how to keep ledgers and properly fill out form 37's.

Except that's a terrible mis-representation of what TLC teaches CP officers by comparison.  TLC isn't teaching people how to fill out forms and keep test scores or whatever.  It's about all the intangibles.  The lessons, ideas and concepts that you can't get really well from a read of 52-16 and related publications.

But yes, I'd actually agree that every specialty track needs a TLC equivalent.  A "best practices" course where practitioners of that particular specialty learn higher-level concepts and learn the underlying goals of their positions purpose.

You know, when I signed up for TLC, I had had some great CP mentors, was a Group Cadet Programs Officer and a Deputy Commander for Cadets, had my tech rating, and even worked my way up past the Earhart when I was a cadet.  But I learned a lot from my TLC.  It was actually the most beneficial CAP PD weekend course I've been to, including UCC.

One more costly requirement of membership.

Actually, it's not a requirement of membership.  You can be a senior member leading a cadet program forever without taking TLC (though I don't recommend it).  You need it to earn your senior rating and thus earn promotions; so yes, promotions are something you're going to have to work towards.   As for cost, I think I paid $20 to take TLC and got all sorts of materials, snacks and stuff out of it.  I may have paid an additional $3 for lunch at the base dining facility.  A weekend course is not exactly highly pressing on people's time and resources - even for volunteers.

Good thing my Wing now only offers TLC once a year in a "non-central location".

If that's your true beef with TLC -- that it's not offered in a convenient location for you, or not offered enough -- than you have a problem with your Wing's Cadet Programs and Professional Development staff.  Not the purpose of TLC nor the purpose of requiring it for a senior rating.  My guess is that your last sentence is what you truly need to focus on fixing.  Offer to direct one in your backyard.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Maj Ballard

Anyone curious why the cadet on the front is a C/CMSgt but only has up to his Lindbergh ribbon?
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Eclipse

One more costly requirement of membership.  Good thing my Wing now only offers TLC once a year in a "non-central location".

If you have Groups your Wing is not responsible for presenting TLC, the Group CC is, if not, you might consider requesting putting one on yourself.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Pylon on May 13, 2009, 03:58:37 AMAs for cost, I think I paid $20 to take TLC and got all sorts of materials, snacks and stuff out of it.  I may have paid an additional $3 for lunch at the base dining facility.  A weekend course is not exactly highly pressing on people's time and resources - even for volunteers.

And how far did you have to drive to get there? Did you have overnight lodging expenses?

We have them in both parts of CA, but the closest one to me is still a 250 mile RT. Even driving my sweetie's Prius (50 mpg), it still ends up costing almost $100 for the weekend. And 5 hours driving.
YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2009, 04:31:22 AM
Quote from: Pylon on May 13, 2009, 03:58:37 AMAs for cost, I think I paid $20 to take TLC and got all sorts of materials, snacks and stuff out of it.  I may have paid an additional $3 for lunch at the base dining facility.  A weekend course is not exactly highly pressing on people's time and resources - even for volunteers.

And how far did you have to drive to get there? Did you have overnight lodging expenses?

We have them in both parts of CA, but the closest one to me is still a 250 mile RT. Even driving my sweetie's Prius (50 mpg), it still ends up costing almost $100 for the weekend. And 5 hours driving.
YMMV.

If you're looking for sympathy about driving and lodging from this bunch, better call the WAAAAHmbulance.  I have people in my state that drive 250 miles round trip for unit meetings each week (yeah, they're nuts, but still).

Its all part of the game - SLS/CLC/TLC/RSC - all cost money, none is required to be active and participate, only if you want to move up in promotion and generally authority.

The TLC is one of the better programs NHQ has put together, and as has been stated, if you can't get to the mountain, host one yourself.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Bob, you missed the point. I'm not looking for sympathy at all. I know its fabled location in the dictionary.

Mike said it cost him about $35 or so. I used my circumstances as an example, well aware that there are folks out there in far worse situations. It'sa great course, but not an easy one to get to for far too many people. Mike was, IMHO, making it sound too easy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pylon

Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2009, 05:44:04 AM
Bob, you missed the point. I'm not looking for sympathy at all. I know its fabled location in the dictionary.

Mike said it cost him about $35 or so. I used my circumstances as an example, well aware that there are folks out there in far worse situations. It'sa great course, but not an easy one to get to for far too many people. Mike was, IMHO, making it sound too easy.

It was in my Group.  It was a 15-minute drive to the base.  I carpooled with other local CAP members, so I didn't even incur incidental gas costs.  I was DCC at the time, and I had every senior working with cadets at my unit sign-up and attend; the course was maxed out.   I'd surmise there is sufficient interest to have a TLC in just about everyone's backyard.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

Of course, it helped that the TLC Pylon went to was attended by the course designer, Curt LaFond. ;D If I put on another TLC today, it would be good, but not quite as good as having Uncle Curt there.

Speaking as a former director, TLC is an excellent course.  It provides the best training materials and instructor guides of any of the CAP PD courses.  It is the easiest course to do right.

That said, it's still possible for a director or instructor to put in less than a full effort.  Group discussion and interaction with experienced CP people is what TLC is really all about (IMO), so if those things are lacking, the course won't be as good.

I figured out that the five instructors at my TLC had, cumulatively, over 100 years of experience in CAP, working primarily in cadet programs.  That's some serious expertise right there.

I don't disagree with mandating TLC.  People who work in cadet programs need to mingle with other CP types, because that's how we all get better.  If anything, that requirement will probably cause the squadrons/groups to put pressure on Wing PD people to do their job (i.e., conduct training), which is a good thing.

GoofyOne

Quote from: Captain B on May 13, 2009, 04:00:04 AM
Anyone curious why the cadet on the front is a C/CMSgt but only has up to his Lindbergh ribbon?
I wondered this myself.  While I think the publication is nice and the cover is refreshing it would be nice if somebody would check little details like this.  Setting the right example would be nice coming from NHQ.

jimmydeanno

^ I bet if you sent an absolutely pristine photo that would work well with the cover they'd use it. 

Darned if you do, darned if you don't. (Photoshopping I mean)

I bet there is some content to it past the cover too.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BuckeyeDEJ

Why can't former cadets who reach a certain milestone be exempt from the TLC? Just sayin'.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

cnitas

Because running a cadet program is not the same as participation in a cadet program.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

dwb

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on May 13, 2009, 03:30:32 PM
Why can't former cadets who reach a certain milestone be exempt from the TLC? Just sayin'.

TLC teaches things 99.9% of cadets will never learn as cadets.

Merely being a Phase III or Phase IV cadet really shouldn't exempt you from technical training as a senior member.

SoCalCAPOfficer

Since TLC is Mandatory, perhaps Logistics track Officers should attend a course on how to keep ledgers and properly fill out form 37's.  Maybe the Unit Commanders Course should be mandatory of anyone wishing to become Wing and Region or National Commander.

In California Wing Logistics Officers have to take a course every two years and Unit Commanders must take UCC within 6 months of appointment.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458