How do you set up your gear?

Started by Rob Sherlin, April 15, 2009, 08:09:13 PM

Rob Sherlin

I've read the requirements for a 24 hr. pack, and a "base pack" (to call it such) from the SAR "Ground Team" training manuals. For you SAR pros, what do you recomend, considering all the requirements? I've looked into a lot of other surplus gear (assult harnesses and such}, but just don't know if I'm going for to much, or going with the "be prepared" thought I've had since "Boy Scouts". I would also like to carry binoculars, and a hard hat (just in case). What set up would you recommend?
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

maverik

As a 24hour pack? I have a Molle Plate Carrier by pouches for what you need get some replica plates so it sits up right and doesn't sag and your good to go on that.

http://hssgear.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_1&products_id=158
love it cheap and realiable that black thing in the middle comes off it's a recoil pad.

http://tinyurl.com/dgdkup
Legit site Free shipping I love em
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Rob Sherlin

I was also wondering how you wear an orange/red vest over everything. The manual states everything should be brightly colored as so, but, I've seen more efficient (and cheaper) setups in military surplus (highly unlikely to find them in bright red or so). $80 for just a vest is WAY to steep for me ( I don't need combat ready with plates).
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

maverik

I use a safety vest over all my gear but mine is pretty bright. But if you just take a safety belt wear that diagnally then sew on some reflective tape you should be good.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Pingree1492

Your gear set-up is really a personal thing, based on your preferences.  As long as you have the required equipment, in some form, and in working order, the rest is up to you.  You'll change your set-up as you gain more experience with the type of missions you'll be doing.

For example, when I'm in the mountains on a search, I prefer a backpack w/hydration bladder.  It's simply more comfortable and familiar to me.  What I carry depends on the season, how long I think I'll be out, and what the forecast low is for that night.

I've really developed a distaste for MRE's and the like, so I don't pack them for food.  The ES Officer in my squadron swears by these items though.  Again, personal preference.

When I'm doing UDF-type work, I've found a backpack to be highly impractical and a royal pain in the rear.  A MOLLE vest (or cheaper option- fishing vest) works well for this, as it allows you to get in and out of your vehicle quickly, with all of your gear on, as well as letting you sit comfortably while driving without having to remove stuff.

To answer your specific questions:
I personally carry a small light-weight and waterproof set of binoculars.  They've been a highly valuable search tool (Is that smoke coming off the mountain from a campfire? Is that REALLY our plane? etc, etc)

I don't carry a helmet, but if you're working in areas with a lot of scree fields, or other overhead safety hazards, it would be a good idea to carry it.  Again- if you see a personal need, then bring it!  The worse that will happen is you getting laughed at.

Ultimately, as a Ground Team Leader, when I'm inspecting a Team Member's pack, I'm making sure that they have the required items for that search and for the conditions.  As long as they aren't carrying too much gear (as in their pack is too heavy for them to carry long distances), and they aren't carrying restricted items, then I'm really not too concerned with the "extras" in the gear list.  

I know this is a general answer, but if you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Rob Sherlin

I just look at the requirements for the 24hr pack, and it looks like a "full load" to me. I see all kinds of "load bearing" harnesses ans tacticle vests and harnesses I can get for cheap. But, there's actually a lot of stuff you should pack for just a 24hr period. I tend to think a 2 qt. hydration pack would be more efficiant than carrying 2 1 qt. canteens, but if you have a day pack, where do you put the hydration pack? And if you're wearing a harness, how do you wear all three? Is there a way to incorporate it all and not deal with all kinds of shoulder straps?

Pingree1492

Most day packs now have a spot sewed in for a hydration bladder, and most come with either a 1.5 or 2 L bladder all ready to go for you.  Even my 72-hour pack came that way.

What type of harness are you talking about?  A climbing harness?  The military-style ALICE vest? (could be wrong about what it's called...).  And you're right about the canteens- definitly prefer the camelpack style hydration system, except for in the very cold winter months (or days... we had a very mild winter here this year).

If you're talking the ALICE vest- you can find these at your local surplus dealer that have a hydration bladder already attached, if that's the route you want to go.  It won't have a whole bunch of shoulder straps or anything, because everything is built in, or designed in a modular fashion that fits well together.  Also, if you have this arrangement, it's a good idea to get the butt pack- you can put most of your non-used-often gear in there, and it's out of the way (though it does make wearing it in a vehicle near-impossible).
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

OH078Command

When I started out as a cadet in 1999, I had a knockoff OD Green "US" Backpack. Then I got web gear along with a large ALICE pack. A few years later I got an Eagle Industries Tactical Vest. The upside was the ability to carry gear on your chest and back, instead of just a pistol belt and suspenders. The downside was that it was hotter. I then got a MOLLE vest about 3 years ago and then a MOLLE Large Pack. The customization of these vests was the winning factor. not to mention the fact that you could swap your gear load in the field at base camp. On the back of my vest I've got a hydration pouch integrated with two large pouches. If I need to carry my 72 hour pack, I can easily remove the pouch and attach it to the 72 hour pack. Another item I use is a Night Ize LED Marker. It is a 6" strip of fiber optic that is lit by an LED and can be attached anywhere on your gear. The covering is also reflective. I'll try getting pics uploaded soon.

1Lt E Reiman
Squadron Commander
GLR-OH-078

Eclipse

As to the vest - you'll note the SARMed-style which will hold the 24 hours gear, being orange it negates the need
for anything else.

Otherwise, if I'm wearing the tac vest, I put a thin orange vest underneath, and the retro-reflective stripes on the vest itself fill the actual "see me" need.

Below from an earlier post is how I roll, though its only my 24 - there's another case of the same size that has my base gear (printer, paper, clipboards, etc.  And two PVC carrier's one for GBD charts and one for my antenna mast, plus an EFJ mobile w/ a gel-cel battery in an ammunition carrier.

Quote from: Eclipse on December 28, 2008, 03:17:33 AM
I couldn't find the old thread on this, and since I just updated and repacked everything, I was meaning to do a post on CAP Gear, but here's what's in my go cases:

Ground / SAR Gear

Standard L-Per
ProFind DF500

SARMed Style vest (used for 75%+ of missions)
Blackhawk Tactical vest  w/ Leg Medbag
(Full 24 hour / UDF gear between the two)

750 Watt inverter
One (1) EFJ HT Radio
Two (2) VX-150 Radios
Three (3) ISR Radios
     (Chargers, batteries, etc., for above
     Accessories for above (earpieces, hand mikes, etc.)

GT manuals, forms, etc.
Digital Camera
Binoculars

Toiletry kit for those 1-dayers that turn into 2.

Rest of 72 hour gear would be in a CFP-90 backpack when I need it (rarely).

"That Others May Zoom"