Off goes the FLWG patch!!!

Started by Stonewall, April 12, 2009, 10:06:28 PM

Stonewall

Like I said, I'm not a fan of patches, but I wasn't too torn up about wearing this one for almost 15 years...

Serving since 1987.

Smokey

Why is there an obscession by some to put as much bling on BDUs?  Some of our patches are cartoonish to such a degree that we look like s skit from Saturday Night Live. 

I've seen BDUs with more patches than a Boy Scout sash. (No offense to scouts, as I wuz one-long ago)

It's time to clean up the bling...no need to look like Leon the Neon.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Gunner C

Quote from: Stonewall on April 13, 2009, 12:50:45 AM
FYI:

Current FLWG Patch

Former FLWG Patch

The old FLWG patch looks like a low-grade squadron patch.  I can't believe that they got away with ripping off the old command patch.  If wings are going to use the patches, here's what they should do:

• Put them on a shield with a scroll at the bottom.
  • Change the colors so they don't look so garish on BDUs
  • Put the patch on the right pocket (USAF got rid of shoulder patches over 40 years ago)

BuckeyeDEJ

I got the message tonight, and was quite happy. Now to remove the superfluous flag from the other side and kill the "Goofy" patch....

I'd love to see wing patches standardized like the Air Force, if we're to maintain them -- using the original heraldry, which means Florida's gator and Mississippi's southern gentleman. Put them in the Air Force boiler shield.

Heck, give me a crack at Florida's. The gator needs some work... when have you ever seen an alligator with a white belly or a misshapen tail?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RiverAux

QuotePut the patch on the right pocket (USAF got rid of shoulder patches over 40 years ago)
Where would the squadron patch go? 

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: RiverAux on April 13, 2009, 02:46:54 AM
QuotePut the patch on the right pocket (USAF got rid of shoulder patches over 40 years ago)

Where Big Blue puts them, I say.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Hawk200

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 13, 2009, 02:49:29 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on April 13, 2009, 02:46:54 AM

Where Big Blue puts them, I say.

They don't put them anywhere on their ABU's. When I started out, BDU's had the squadron patch over the nametag, with a wing patch on the left pocket, command on the right one. Then it changed to Command on right, squadron on left. Then they went to the "option".

I wouldn't mind AF command shaped wing patches on the right pocket, squadron on left. Over the pocket, go for optionals (schools, ES, etc.). I think that there ought to be at least a unit patch. It shows unit pride. It also makes it easier to dig up the CO of someone who is being a problem child at multi unit events.

biomed441

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 13, 2009, 04:05:22 AM
They don't put them anywhere on their ABU's. When I started out, BDU's had the squadron patch over the nametag, with a wing patch on the left pocket, command on the right one. Then it changed to Command on right, squadron on left. Then they went to the "option".

I wouldn't mind AF command shaped wing patches on the right pocket, squadron on left. Over the pocket, go for optionals (schools, ES, etc.). I think that there ought to be at least a unit patch. It shows unit pride. It also makes it easier to dig up the CO of someone who is being a problem child at multi unit events.

I like that idea.... A lot actually. And yeah, unit patches are important.   Unfortunately that wouldn't solve our super colorful appearance.

DBlair

Considering that we no longer have to wear our Wing patch, are we allowed to put an optional patch (such as NCSA patches) there? I heard that this is being done in some Wings, but haven't found any info about it.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

O-Rex

Quote from: DBlair on April 13, 2009, 04:36:48 AM
Considering that we no longer have to wear our Wing patch, are we allowed to put an optional patch (such as NCSA patches) there? I heard that this is being done in some Wings, but haven't found any info about it.

Dan,

Stay tuned for that one: it's one thing to remove a patch that was made optional by NHQ a couple of years ago, it's another thing to change the location of currently authorized patches per 39-1 (and the dozen or so ICL's.)

Florida Wing is currently using a NASA-looking seal on correspondence which looks quite nice- I'd like to see it as a 'optional' right-shoulder patch for flightsuits.

The 'alligator' had it's time and purpose: it was designed by Zack Mosley of "Smiling Jack" fame in an era where squadron patches and aircraft nose art was based on cartoons (or scantily-clad women, but let's not even go there!)

The story I heard was that someone made a proposal to use the old simple CAP WWII era patch with the tri-blade triangle on a blue background, and put an arc above it that read "Florida" and that was misinterpreted as it went up the chain. 

There's an updated version of the Gator patch that was never approved: it's a bit more menacing looking (looks more like the croc from Disney's 'Peter Pan') and sits curled around a first aid case.

B/t/w, the National Capital Wing design isn't bad, but the patch shape makes it look like it came from a Police Dept.

Thing is, now the American Flag Patch on the left side looks even more out of place. . . .

I'm just wondering if distinctive colored ballcaps will go away when we transition to the ABU (like the Air Force did.)  Personally, I hope not: I've never been a big fan of the BDU "patrol cap."   

JoeTomasone

Quote from: O-Rex on April 13, 2009, 12:33:13 PM

Dan,

Stay tuned for that one:

Stay tuned no longer:

3. As a result of National Board action, certain school/activity patches may be worn on the left shoulder. The following patches are approved for wear ½" below the left shoulder seam:

a. National Emergency Service Academy

b. National Flight Academy

c. Cadet Officer School

d. National Honor Guard Academy

e. Hawk Mountain Ranger School

f. Blue Beret

g. Air Force Space Command Familiarization Course

h. Pararescue Orientation Course

Strick

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:   Thank You Colonel
[darn]atio memoriae

Stonewall

There's an updated version of the Gator patch that was never approved: it's a bit more menacing looking (looks more like the croc from Disney's 'Peter Pan') and sits curled around a first aid case.

Quote from: O-Rex on April 13, 2009, 12:33:13 PMThing is, now the American Flag Patch on the left side looks even more out of place. . . .

You mean right side.  Right?
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Why is it that most cadets I meet seem to want more patches?  What is the mentality of this?  They'll try to argue for all the "right" reasons like heritage, looking like a team, or pride, but I know exactly why. 

Just like WIWAC and I felt like more was better.  Other than aviation badges, we didn't have GTM, IC, EMT, etc badges.  I wore:  ES (w/Cessna), Model Rocketry and First Responder/EMT patch on the front of my uniform.  Not to mention, of course, the wing patch.  I probably would have worn the American Flag too if it had been allowed.  In fact, as a young foolish (eager) cadet I thought it would have been cool to wear a "combat patch" on the right side.  i.e., you participated on a REDCAP (real SAR mission with a "FIND"), you could wear your wing patch on the right side and keep it even if you moved to a different wing.  I would have moved to GAWG just to have a FLWG "combat patch".

Why?  Because I was immature and thought that more was better.  Now, I'm grown up.  I think the opposite.  My cadet commander wants to wear as many patches as possible. 
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 13, 2009, 12:56:56 PM

Dan,

Stay tuned for that one:

Stay tuned no longer:

3. As a result of National Board action, certain school/activity patches may be worn on the left shoulder. The following patches are approved for wear ½" below the left shoulder seam:

a. National Emergency Service Academy

b. National Flight Academy

c. Cadet Officer School

d. National Honor Guard Academy

e. Hawk Mountain Ranger School

f. Blue Beret

g. Air Force Space Command Familiarization Course

h. Pararescue Orientation Course

Would this be in addition to, or as a choice versus the left pocket?  Because if its a choice, they just made things worse by adding another patch to the uniform.   ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

alamrcn

When it was desided not to be used as a wing patch, for an unknown reason, a now disbanded squadron picked it up part of the design...

This one MIGHT have been from later Zack Mosley art just like the first one, but I haven't confirmed that.

Does anyone have the official change letter from the Florida Wing Commander? Not an e-mail, but a PDF or similar document? I'd like a copy, if a link can be posted or one can be e-mailed.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Rob Sherlin

I could be wrong, but I thought Florida used the patch that looks like the " HQ seal" (the eagle above the shield with a prop in the triangle...etc..) which I thought was totally cool and very proffessional looking...The whole "gator" thing is new to me (but, then again, I'm pretty new and don't know to much about FL wing. I would kind of like to see everyone with that patch (the seal with the name of the state above, like it is), and squadron patches worn on the right pocket (due to current revises to uniforms, this would only apply to BDU's)
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2009, 02:26:06 PM
Would this be in addition to, or as a choice versus the left pocket?  Because if its a choice, they just made things worse by adding another patch to the uniform.   ::)

What I posted is what I know.   I guess someone should read the minutes of the NB; my interest in this goes only so far.  :)

JoeTomasone

Quote from: alamrcn on April 13, 2009, 02:35:10 PM
Does anyone have the official change letter from the Florida Wing Commander? Not an e-mail, but a PDF or similar document? I'd like a copy, if a link can be posted or one can be e-mailed.

Doesn't appear to be on the Wing site, but I expect it may take a day or two.

Stonewall

I wonder how much it cost FLWG members to convert from the Gator patch to the current one that is no longer required.

Vanguard sells...
- Wing patches for $1.95
- NSCA patches for $2.00
- Reverse American flag for $4.00  <---just checked Scam Vanguard, that's outrageous!

Add in S&H and what some people pay to have their patches sewn on, you're looking at up to $15.00 just in patches, not insignia and nametapes.  And that's just one uniform.
Serving since 1987.