Off goes the FLWG patch!!!

Started by Stonewall, April 12, 2009, 10:06:28 PM

Stonewall

Thank you FLWG CC!!!

From today at 17:30:
QuoteEffective immediately, FLWG Policy Letter 06-02 "FLORIDA WING PATCH" requiring the wear of the FLWG patch on the left sleeve of the BDU/Utility uniform is rescinded.

I have hated the wing patch on BDUs for the longest time; even moreso when FLWG changed to the big circular CAP patch with "FLORIDA" arch.

Mine is already off!
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

Having had to wear one of the more cartoonish wing patches at one time, I can sympathize.  However, in general, I like the wing patch on the BDUs.  I think it helps build a little Wing pride. 

Stonewall

I am actually not 100% against wing patches as a whole.  I just don't care for cartoon like patches with too many colors.  I also felt like the current FLWG patch was too "official" or "ceremonial" to be worn on BDUs.  It looked good on blues, but BDUs, not so much.

I actually liked the DCWG patch because it matched everything else on the BDUs with it's white on blue design.

Across the board, I say no wing patches.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

QuoteAcross the board, I say no wing patches.
Why?  I can understand objections to specific designs, but what is wrong with them in general?

Stonewall

In my opinion most wing patches are too gaudy and add to an already too colorful uniform.

Just my opinion.  I'm a name tapes, rank and badge guy where everything is the same color (white/blue).  I'm not a fan of the American flag being on our uniform either. 
Serving since 1987.

DC

Cite please?

There isn't anything on the FLWG webpage, nor have I seen anything like that on the wing email list..

Stonewall

I'm on the wing email list.  Got it from the CC today at 17:30 on my flwg.us account.  Standby for PM.  I'll send you the email.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

biomed441

Quote from: Stonewall on April 12, 2009, 11:45:16 PM
In my opinion most wing patches are too gaudy and add to an already too colorful uniform.

Just my opinion.  I'm a name tapes, rank and badge guy where everything is the same color (white/blue).  I'm not a fan of the American flag being on our uniform either. 

I agree. We are colorful enough as it is. Some wing patches do look alright on the BDU's though. OKWG has a good patch i think. Its mostly blue and so that helps tie it together with the tapes.  I actually like what my old squadron did in CA and had a subdued squadron patch created for the BDU's. I understand we don't need to have subdued tapes or patches, but doesn't mean we have to run around looking like clowns. Can't the AF grant us a little bit more dignity? :P

I digress though as the blue tapes were designed for the blue utility uniforms if I'm not mistaken, in which case that made them look proper, but since we do have BDU's now as an option, and who knows maybe even ACU's in the next 10 years or so, I don't see any reason why they cant match.

I'm going off topic though and so wingpatches or no, doesn't really make a difference to me as long as they don't look out of place on a uniform. Just be thankful we aren't wearing our ribbons on our BDU's.

Stonewall

Quote from: Captainbob441 on April 13, 2009, 12:19:00 AMI digress though as the blue tapes were designed for the blue utility uniforms if I'm not mistaken,

Nope, the blue name tapes come from a long long time ago when the AF wore them on their fatigues as did CAP.  The AF later went to subdued name tapes but CAP stayed with white/blue, even after the AF switched to BDUs.

Serving since 1987.

MIKE

^ Off topic:  That is one example where direct embroidery does not look good.

On topic:  Death to patches!
Mike Johnston

biomed441

Quote from: Stonewall on April 13, 2009, 12:22:22 AM
Nope, the blue name tapes come from a long long time ago when the AF wore them on their fatigues as did CAP.  The AF later went to subdued name tapes but CAP stayed with white/blue, even after the AF switched to BDUs.

Ah I see, thanks for the correction then. All the more reason we should be using the green with blue tapes then for the BDU's. Though That will never happen.

biomed441

Quote from: MIKE on April 13, 2009, 12:26:56 AM
^ Off topic:  That is one example where direct embroidery does not look good.

On topic:  Death to patches!

Haha, patches I thnk are alright. Just subdue them. Or cut down on the colors a bit. CA Wing obviously had no issue with my old squadron subing' their squadron patch. No reason the wing patches couldn't be done the same way.

JC004

Stonewall

FYI:

Current FLWG Patch

Former FLWG Patch

Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on April 13, 2009, 12:22:22 AM
Quote from: Captainbob441 on April 13, 2009, 12:19:00 AMI digress though as the blue tapes were designed for the blue utility uniforms if I'm not mistaken,

Ditto - CAP's only been wearing the blue field uniform about what, 5-6 years or so?

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

I really like the current patch; I'd be jumping for joy today if I had been forced to wear the former patch - that one is hideous!

I'll be keeping my Wing patch.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 13, 2009, 01:41:49 AMI really like the current patch; I'd be jumping for joy today if I had been forced to wear the former patch - that one is hideous!

Sacrilege!!! 'Pregnant alligator' forever! (Old-school FL Wing cadet...  ;D)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ThorntonOL

Don't get mad at me but I would rather wear the old patch than the new one if I was in Florida wing.
Looks almost like the embroidered patch on the polos.\
Just doesn't look like it means anything to the wing as the old one does.
I liked it when each wing had it's own wing patch, you could tell where someone was visiting from and also for those who went to NCSA's (I haven't been to one at all.) could tell everyone back home who hey met and from where, even if you couldn't remember where they said they where from you usually could remember from their wing patch.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

JoeTomasone

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 13, 2009, 01:49:48 AM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 13, 2009, 01:41:49 AMI really like the current patch; I'd be jumping for joy today if I had been forced to wear the former patch - that one is hideous!

Sacrilege!!! 'Pregnant alligator' forever! (Old-school FL Wing cadet...  ;D)

GAH!  If I had ever come across someone with that patch AND the Pluto patch I might have gagged.  :)

I came up in NYWG, that patch was OK.   I've always liked the CAP Seal, so I like it as a Wing Patch.  <shrug>