control console for base radios

Started by cap235629, April 08, 2009, 05:30:48 PM

cap235629

Been playing around with ideas to create a "console" set up for our squadron radios.

Has anyone had any luck linking 1 microphone to both the Micom and EF Johnson radios?

I have been looking at a setup like the MFJ 1261.

Will this work with our radio's?

It looks like a simple solution that will accomplish what I want.

1 microphone
selectable transmit
select and unselect audio
headphone jack

LOW COST

Your thoughts and ideas/solutions?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RedFox24

I have not done what you are talking about but have seen others do it outside of CAP.

Outside of CAP it looks like a good idea for space limited areas or benches and where you are the only control operator and only operating one band in a non emergency situation.  I have never seen the need for it though for my ham equipment.

For CAP radios I would suggest not doing it for a couple of reasons the first being that in an emergency you could only use one radio, where you could have two operators otherwise.  Second I am not sure but linking the radios in this manner might be in violation of the regs on "altering" a CAP radio.  You would need members of the regulation police someone who studies such to give you an interpretation. 

+1 on the headphones though, a much needed and often neglected piece of operating gear needed at any mission base.

FWIW.
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

chief2

I have been using the MFJ-640 using one headset, with the Micom and the EFJ, or two EFJ's, you have to make a cable for the Micom in order to use a headset. But I still use separate mic's for the radio's

♠SARKID♠

I was doing some research a while back on using headsets for the Micom. The way I worked it out is that in order to use a headset you will surely want to shut off the internal speaker.  PER MICOM-2B MANUAL - you have to open it up and physically disconnect the speaker in the radio.  This creates a couple of problems first of which is that modification of equipment requires NTC approval.  The second is that you won't be able to use the speaker when you need it.  I came up with a plan to install a speaker switch but I haven't been rogue enough to open the radio up.  Therefore I don't know if I could make the installation work or not without drilling holes in the faceplate (a project ender).  Creating the headset isn't too much of a problem, it just takes some cable making skills.  That speaker is what hangs the idea up.

EMT-83

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on April 08, 2009, 10:02:45 PM
I was doing some research a while back on using headsets for the Micom. The way I worked it out is that in order to use a headset you will surely want to shut off the internal speaker.  PER MICOM-2B MANUAL - you have to open it up and physically disconnect the speaker in the radio.

Why not just install a headset jack that opens the speaker leads when you plug in the headset?

SltWaterDrinker

You would have to figure out the pinout on the Micom microphone if you wanted to use a headset...and depending on what type of Micom you're using, you would not have to go into the radio and disconnect the speaker. If you pin it out right, once the headset is plugged in, it'll disable the internal speaker and rely on a good connection from the connection port to the headset.
This can be done-I've seen Motorola Spectras inside of a command trailer...all hooked up to headsets and no speakers whatsoever. You turn it on, and all audio is routed into the headset.

If you're referring to a Micom 2, you're options are much larger. Look into GM300, CDM750/1250, Convertacom Mics, etc(as long as it has that telephone jack looking connector)-and see what you can come up with. Ebay, and google searches come up with nice results. You could always end up making one-just get the GM300 Microphone cord assembly.

Here is perfect proof of something like this existing or come into existence...they have a telephone style handset on the market( model number AAREX4617A).

Take my word for it-don't try the all in one microphone idea. Its hard and confusing...you'll end up transmitting on the wrong frequency without realizing it...or someone else would for that matter. I've made that mistake once or twice with the county's radio system...it was awfully funny.
Thanks and 73s,

C/Lt. Col Josh Williams
NER-NJ-092
Twin Pine Composite Squadron
Mercer County, New Jersey

SltWaterDrinker

Thanks and 73s,

C/Lt. Col Josh Williams
NER-NJ-092

♠SARKID♠

wuzafuzz

Along these same lines, does anyone know how to connect an external speaker / headset to the EFJ 5317's?  I don't mind using the hand mic, but trying to hear weak audio when everyone near Comm is talking loudly can be frustrating. 

My guess is a speaker could run off the pigtail, but I haven't found any reference to support that.  I wouldn't think this would be considered modifying a radio, rather it's simply connecting an accessory.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

chief2

In the EFJ manual, on the accessory plug there is a place for an external speaker to be wired in.

SltWaterDrinker

Yeah-the 3M ones are 400 dollars each-but you can do some "secret searching" and find aftermarket ones that are much, much cheaper. Or you could simply make your own-I have a Firecom headset system with the headphone jack looking connector and adapter-all I need is a spectra microphone cord. In this case, you would just need the proper jack that fits your radio-and then boom.

What type of Micom are you referring to?

And Eric, the same thing applies for the EFJ Stealths: There is a headset that looks similar to a operators headset(one ear) that is out there-I have not seen it recently though. You could do the external speaker idea-we have a switch that we can hit in our Comms room that turns on stereo speakers all over the squadron trailer...and it clears a room quite nicely. A cadet once put a piece of tape that said "stfu" above the on position of that switch. Everyone got the point then, too.
Thanks and 73s,

C/Lt. Col Josh Williams
NER-NJ-092

chief2

In regards to the use of other types of Mic's with the Micom 2 you can use a Gm300 mic, but no other type can be used with the ALE 2-EF or the RDP radios, This is per Motorola Mobat division

♠SARKID♠

Lt. Hobbs, I'm sorry for stealing your thread.  I'm gonna revive my old one and pick this up over there.
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=6713.new#new