"Be Advised" (Lord Monar)

Started by Stonewall, February 09, 2009, 04:22:00 PM

Stonewall

Sort of a military/communications topic, but thought I'd start it up in here for a bit.

While using the radio, where does the term "be advised" fit in?

I was at a 4 day ORE with my Guard unit this past weekend; my first experience "in the field" with the ANG, and I've never heard the term preceed so many transmissions.  I'd say, and this is no exageration, that at least 80% of traffic started with "be advised".

In fact, I even heard it preceed a question: "Bear One, this is Badger 3, be advised, can you send another QRF team to our position, over?"

Lord Monar?  Retired Comms MSgt...any comments?
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

In the example you used....it was wrong.

We do you it all the time when you want to send info out but don't require a specific response.

I would unusually say it after I have tasked a team but want to give them sort of extra info.

"NBC team 1 go to sector 2 to do a M256 check...be advised EOD reports UXO's in the area".

The funny part is that we get more official radio training in CAP then I ever got as a AD USAF comm guy.

They would just hand me a radio and say "you are team 2, we're Control, and use channel 2".  I kid you not that was the entirety of my radio training.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

EMT-83

It's not just military, you hear it a lot in public safety. A filler, like "um" when you don't have your thoughts together. It's a real easy, and annoying, habit to fall into.

Flying Pig

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 09, 2009, 05:28:59 PM
It's not just military, you hear it a lot in public safety. A filler, like "um" when you don't have your thoughts together. It's a real easy, and annoying, habit to fall into.

Its a useless phrase.  That is probably one of the most abused terms I have heard in police work.  One day I want to get on the radio and yell "NO S---! "  Thats why your telling us in the first place isnt it?!  It goes right along with "FYI......the stop sign fell down at X and Y St."  Really?  FYI?  Oh, OK...thanks.

BuckeyeDEJ

"Be advised" is a crutch phrase, like "uhhhh." It sounds official, but it's B.S. and needless. Needless like another phrase you occasionally hear a rookie cadet use on the radio....

Be advised. Over and out.

P.S.: I also hate it when people say "roger that" with every response in a radio conversation. Another crutch.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

hatentx

I know I have used Be Advised in times in which I need no response from whom I am telling.  To many times there is good information that needs to be put out to a section but I dont need everyone responding back to me.  An example would be while I was in Iraq last time.  I recall noticing a group of possible bad actors moving through my sector.  Instead of calling in to the TOC something like "hippo base this is tower 10 over"  then waiting for their reply "Tower 10 this is hippo base"  "Hippos base we have a bongo truck moving through our sector on route flamingo west bound through my sector and will be entering towers 9's sector shortly"  By time all that gets done and said that truck could already be in a new area or already cause trouble and I am tieing up the radio by all the formality and such.  Rather my call was "hippo base this is tower 10 be advised that we have a blue bongo truck with possible bad actors moving west on route flamingo.  Truck is now entering tower 9's sector"

This now saved a ton of time plus it puts out the important information quickly for the people who need it with out the need of response.  Now tower 9 knows I have seen something that doesnt look right and they are able to watch it as well.  What I am sending up it a SPOT report or a SITREP however you choose to look at it, however I am going past all the extra stuff and putting out the info.  Same thing "Towers 1 through 15 this is hippo base, be advised the truck for shift change has broke down"  While after that transmission there is expletives being said none are needed to be transmitted.

Is the term used incorrectly?  Oh yes!!!  And so are so many other terms used.  US forces have poor radio skills to be honest.  We get the job done but not by they way we say it is suppose to be done. 

Gunner C

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 10, 2009, 02:18:14 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on February 09, 2009, 05:28:59 PM

Its a useless phrase.  That is probably one of the most abused terms I have heard in police work.  One day I want to get on the radio and yell "NO S---! "  Thats why your telling us in the first place isnt it?!  It goes right along with "FYI......the stop sign fell down at X and Y St."  Really?  FYI?  Oh, OK...thanks.
:clap:

I used to work for a GS-15 who used it everytime she got on.  I've found that it is also a way for the sender to "exert" their importance on the receiver.  It's one of the stupidest "prowords" that's used.  We use the radio to advise folks, so "be advised" is straight out of the department of redundancy department.

Stonewall

I think a lot of the ANG folks I work with one weekend a month think it's cool to say.  If I remember correctly, it has been used on several war movies like Platoon, Casualties of War and Heartbreak Ridge.

The company commander in Platoon used it to make the FO understand that he knew he was calling for CAS on his own position since he was being over run by NVA/VC:  "I say again, drop all remaining on my pos...".  In a way, I can potentially see the need to get_the_point_across, but really, I can't say that I see a huge need for it.  Radio communications is supposed to be short and to the point, hence the use of prowords like Wilco, Roger, Over, Out, etc.  "Be advsied" adds to the message and is not necessary.

I think I blew their mind when I sent a SALUTE report up.  It's in the Airman's Manual and from my day as a grunt, it was a standard practice.  In the AF, I think it's just a cool buzzword like "military", "discipline" and "hooah".   ;)
Serving since 1987.

JoeTomasone

Actually, "be advised" has benefits similar to "this is" in that it announces relevant information to the mission at hand.   You *could* eliminate a lot of the prowords and get by, but they do help train your brain to be prepared to receive certain types of information.    In the case of "be advised", it can also alert listeners who are not a party to the conversation and have already "tuned out" that there may be something pertinent to listen up for.

davidsinn

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 10, 2009, 02:33:29 PM
Actually, "be advised" has benefits similar to "this is" in that it announces relevant information to the mission at hand.   You *could* eliminate a lot of the prowords and get by, but they do help train your brain to be prepared to receive certain types of information.    In the case of "be advised", it can also alert listeners who are not a party to the conversation and have already "tuned out" that there may be something pertinent to listen up for.

Wouldn't you use it in an "all stations" call? Such as a weather report or similar?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Fifinella

Hmmm, let's see:

"Adam 12, Be Advised this is Bravo 24 with a SITREP.  We are in compliance with all directives and commencing to proceed at 1200 Hours PM to the rendezvous location at Sector 4 for a rendezvous.  We are under the sun....right...NOW...ready, ready, HACK.  Roger, Wilco, Over, and OUT."  ;D

Could I get a job in your unit, Stonewall?  >:D >:D >:D

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Stonewall

Quote from: Fifinella on February 10, 2009, 08:45:45 PM
Could I get a job in your unit, Stonewall?  >:D >:D >:D

Sure.  Reactivate your commission (or whatever you need to do) and be our Squadron Commander or XO. 

I have been in ANG SF for 2 years and this was my first actual training exercise. I learned that SOPs, although written, are not followed. I learned that packing lists are not adhered to as long as you have your weapon and JLIST/MOPP gear. I learned that "teams" are purely adiminstrative and only exist when standing in formation. I learned that the term "be advised" preceeds about 80% of all radio transmissions. I learned that it's okay to have good guys shoot in each others' direction as long as there is a bad guy in the middle. I confirmed that the AF doesn't train without CBRNE gear on. I learned that there is no one NCO in charge; but rather 3 to 4 MSgts who don't communicate with each other and all have good intentions, but fail to pass along the same info.

Okay, I enjoyed myself, and I definiately learned a lot, but I didn't learn what I thought I'd learn, i.e. doctrine or SF specific skills.

If you can live with all these things, Judy, you can join my unit  ;D
Serving since 1987.

Fifinella

If I were the SQ/CC, I wouldn't have to live with those things - I'd fix 'em!  I learned all I need to know to fix a unit from Gunny Highway.  ;)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

sardak

I thought that "Be advised" was an official proword or phrase but couldn't remember from where. A Google search turned it up in Army Field Manual FM 3-21.28 (was FM 57-38), "Pathfinder Operations", Chapter 3 on Air Traffic Control. If I'd learned somewhere that it was an official term, that sure wasn't it. Anyway, the FM says that it is standard terminology:
BE ADVISED - Indicates additional information is forthcoming, such as an unusual condition or hazard to flight.

A couple of UK/Australian sources claim it to be a "universal" term less formal than "Message follows."

But I have to go along with a Marine cheat sheet on comm that says under correct prowords:
Be advised - Garbage (emphasis by the Marines)

This 5 page cheat sheet has a lot of good points and could replace BCUT and a lot of comm courses for hams and others.
http://www.2ndbn5thmar.com/notes/Communications.pdf

Mike

lordmonar

The only major problem I got with the marine cheat sheet is that its basic premise doe not apply to CAP.

No one is trying to DF our positions to lay an artillery barrage so poor (as spelled out by 100-1) radio discipline is not necessary.

"be advised" may not be an official proword....but if it used appropriately and in moderation it is a useful term.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Fifinella

Quote from: sardak on February 10, 2009, 10:23:48 PM
Air Traffic Control. Anyway, the FM says that it is standard terminology:
BE ADVISED - Indicates additional information is forthcoming, such as an unusual condition or hazard to flight.

That's true.  "Be advised, there are birds in the vicinity of runway 22", or some such, is common ATC terminology.

I agree with Lord Monar
Quoteif it used appropriately and in moderation it is a useful term.

However...
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RRLE

You have to be careful with the cited Cheat Sheet. "Affirmitive" and "Negitive" are claimed to be garbage on that sheet but they are the standard prowords for ARES/RACES operations instead of Yes and No.

Your own organization's standards and practices trump any outside source.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: RRLE on February 11, 2009, 12:50:56 PM
You have to be careful with the cited Cheat Sheet. "Affirmitive" and "Negitive" are claimed to be garbage on that sheet but they are the standard prowords for ARES/RACES operations instead of Yes and No.

Your own organization's standards and practices trump any outside source.

Standard prowords for CAP IAW 100-1; absolutely.  However,  there are no standard prowords for ARES/RACES nationwide.

RiverAux

I always sort of thought that it was a useful term for when you wanted to make sure someone was paying attention when you were telling them something important.  But, I can also see that it can be redundant. 

brenaud

I can see both sides of 'be advised'.  Honestly, I have no idea if I've used it or not.  I also agree with the affirmative/negative point that was raised.  It's funny...the pdf comments about 'dropped' syllables but makes two very important (and opposite) prowords single syllables. 

They also missed one (read the whole line before you react...)
Garbage: Roger     Proper Proword: Affirmative
That one drives me crazy, be it on a CAP net, an amateur radio net, or a television interview.
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699