Main Menu

New USAF Uniform

Started by Nick Critelli, March 23, 2006, 05:43:01 AM

Matt

hmm, SWAT...

Can I be Hondo... from the orginal SWAT TV Show?

*SWAT Theme Plays*

(And for the younger ones than I... yes, there was a TV Show...  In fact, it's on DVD, just waiting for anything past Season 1)
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

MIKE

I saw SWAT on TV Land a few times.
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

The new AF uniform has little or no functionality.  They changed the colors, and added  pockets.  The uniform is the same as the BDU's with a new color pattern and new pockets, which are placed in positions that very few people will use.  How much more useful is this uniform than say the current BDU.  Have we become so lazy, that we can not take 5 minutes to iron a shirt and pants.  Lets not forget, that pressed uniforms in AOR's or forward positions add little to the warfighting operation.  I do commend the uniform board for selecting new footwear.  Now we will not have to carry around both dessert and leather boots.  That reduces the costs to tax payers.  It does put the smaller sized leather boot manufacturers that supplied the Fed Government out of work...in terms of switching production lines. 
What's up monkeys?

Matt

I just looked over the pic again.

I'm guessing based on the color patterns of all the services, with the exception of the Navy, who I believe, but I'm not positive, in combat wears the MCUs, are all Urban/Desert colors.  Tans and lighter greens.  Just moving from Jungle Warfare to urban and mechanized warfare.

As for the extra pocket.  It's useless in general, however, if you're sitting, kneeling, or crouched, it's a nice spot.  But, I'm not sure everyone is going to like the ankle weights.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Matt on March 24, 2006, 04:05:14 PM
hmm, SWAT...

Can I be Hondo... from the orginal SWAT TV Show?

*SWAT Theme Plays*

(And for the younger ones than I... yes, there was a TV Show...  In fact, it's on DVD, just waiting for anything past Season 1)

Time to wonder... what it must be like... to strap on a gun... pin on a badge... and become... a LAWMAN!!!!!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Nick

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 24, 2006, 05:47:52 PM

Time to wonder... what it must be like... to strap on a gun... pin on a badge... and become... a LAWMAN!!!!!  ;D

Feh, do it every day... it loses its zeal after a while. :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Matt

Quote from: mclarty on March 24, 2006, 06:21:31 PM
Feh, do it every day... it loses its zeal after a while. :)

Book 'em Dano!

Pylon

Quote from: Matt
Book 'em Dano!

::) 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Slim

Did you by chance live in the DC area sometime in the late 80's-early90's?  That sounds an awful lot like a radio DJ named Greaseman.

Can you hear it.....Off in the distance.....that sy-rene wailin'?

Slim

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Slim on March 24, 2006, 11:05:01 PM

Did you by chance live in the DC area sometime in the late 80's-early90's?  That sounds an awful lot like a radio DJ named Greaseman.

Can you hear it.....Off in the distance.....that sy-rene wailin'?

Yup... I lived in the 'Sodom-on-Potomac' (ahem, DC) area from 1986-89. The Greaseman's still plying his trade on the airwaves in DC. At least I can still catch his 'bits' online!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Slim

Sorry for the topic drift.....

A friend of mine (a now retired AF SP) made me a copy of a few of the Greaseman's pieces, which I lost somewhere along the way.

I don't remember much, but I do remember them being hilarious.  Can you PM me a link to his webiste (or probably his stations)?

Slim

Eclipse

Actually, I don't think it looks that bad:

However notice I didn't put on any of the christmas decorations.  All of this talk about being too "colorful" has a few people around my parts "deblinging" - pluto, wing, tech rating - gone.

Just a flag, unit, and tapes / quals.

Looks pretty good , actually.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chris Jacobs

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 24, 2006, 04:23:10 PM
The new AF uniform has little or no functionality.  They changed the colors, and added  pockets.  The uniform is the same as the BDU's with a new color pattern and new pockets, which are placed in positions that very few people will use.  How much more useful is this uniform than say the current BDU.  Have we become so lazy, that we can not take 5 minutes to iron a shirt and pants.  Lets not forget, that pressed uniforms in AOR's or forward positions add little to the warfighting operation.  I do commend the uniform board for selecting new footwear.  Now we will not have to carry around both dessert and leather boots.  That reduces the costs to tax payers.  It does put the smaller sized leather boot manufacturers that supplied the Fed Government out of work...in terms of switching production lines. 

Actualy the pockets will be easier to get into.  They changed them so that you can get into them with your body armor on.  This uniform is far more usefull.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

SKYKING607

Read where the new "digital" uniform will not be totally phased-in until the year 2011. 

Gawd I miss my ol' "greens" which I still have in cold storage!

Looking for a set of 1505's for my collection!
CAWG Career Captain

Nick

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on March 27, 2006, 11:22:01 PM
Actualy the pockets will be easier to get into.  They changed them so that you can get into them with your body armor on.  This uniform is far more usefull.

Changed what pockets?  The detail photo the AF released shows the exact same pockets as the existing BDU's (which I can personally attest you cannot access the pockets at all... I have pictures to prove it), except they added a pen-pocket on the sleeve and one or two pockets on the lower legs that someone here dubbed as essentially leg weights.
Texas Wing Staff Guy

mikeylikey

I have seen this uniform upclose, let me say that it is more useless for current and future deployments than the woodland BDU's.  The only pocket that is of added value is the one for pencils and pens.  however, do you realy think that any commander will allow thier Airman to place anything in these "new" pockets.  The pockets on the lower legs are the most useless of the whole design.  As for the guy who said that the new uniform allows for easy access to the pockets with body armor on, I suppose you have never seen body armor before.  The only pocket you may be able to get into on the shirt would be the one for the pens and pencils.  I guess I am biased, I have worn both BDU's and ACU's, and must say the Army got the whole "lets design a new uniform" right.  The Air Force should focus more on functionality than appearance.
What's up monkeys?

Nick

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 29, 2006, 02:17:42 PM
I guess I am biased, I have worn both BDU's and ACU's, and must say the Army got the whole "lets design a new uniform" right.  The Air Force should focus more on functionality than appearance.

Hooah.  Heck, I'm in the Air Force and I'd rather wear ACU's than this new [poop].
Texas Wing Staff Guy

shorning

Quote from: mclarty on March 29, 2006, 08:26:08 PM
I guess I am biased, I have worn both BDU's and ACU's, and must say the Army got the whole "lets design a new uniform" right.  The Air Force should focus more on functionality than appearance.

Hooah.  Heck, I'm in the Air Force and I'd rather wear ACU's than this new [poop].

Wannabe... ;)  You wanna pink bow for your hair too? ;D

Chris Jacobs

What i had read on this new uniform is that the pockets were going to be changed to be similar to the new ACU.  I must have read wrong.  Yes i have seen body armor and yes i have worn it too.  My uncle thought i would be a nice bet to see if i could wear his interceptor body armor all day.  I know as of now you can't get into any of the BDU pockets with it on but i thought that was one of the things changing on this one.  Maybe not.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Nick

Quote from: shorning on March 29, 2006, 10:27:35 PM
Quote from: mclarty on March 29, 2006, 08:26:08 PM

Wannabe... ;)  You wanna pink bow for your hair too? ;D

Texas Wing Staff Guy