1st CAP unit citation?

Started by RiverAux, December 19, 2008, 09:48:52 PM

RiverAux

Here is a link to a googlenews site with a St. Petersburg Times article from Dec. 12, 1942 claiming the first-of-its-kind award of a red merit emblem to the Orlando squadron for actions they took on July 14, 1942 in locating an Army plane that had crashed in a swamp putting themselves as "considerable risk of life due to weather conditions and difficulty of landing in a swamp area".  They didn't go into more detail, but that quote implies that a CAP plane landed in the swamp....

The award is described as being for "exceptional performance of specific missions or acts of herorism under unusually difficult or hazarodous conditions."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=dbUKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=hk0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4256,4412012&dq=civil-air-patrol+citation

Timbo

That is cool.  I wonder what type of Award CAP would give them if they did that today. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Timbo on December 19, 2008, 09:50:42 PM
That is cool.  I wonder what type of Award CAP would give them if they did that today. 

They would get Find ribbon's, and then 2b'ed for violating ORM SOPs!   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

It is possible that they had an amphibian aircraft.  They were commonly used in the coastal patrols. 

RiverAux

The article is a little confusing in that it implies that it is a unit citation, but the wording they quoted from the actual citation would seem to have been more appropriate to something awarded to the individuals involved in the action.  Perhaps someone knowledgable knows something about this award and whether it was for units or individuals. 

Gunner C

RiverAux

I think you meant to post that in the Presidential Unit Citation thread -- and in any case, nothing was confirmed as the facts behind this situation.

Gunner C

Quote from: RiverAux on December 21, 2008, 01:50:29 AM
I think you meant to post that in the Presidential Unit Citation thread -- and in any case, nothing was confirmed as the facts behind this situation.

It's amazing how asleep you can be at six at night.  ;D