Main Menu

CAP on a resume'?

Started by James Shaw, October 22, 2008, 02:03:55 PM

flyguy06

I put it under the Experience section. Most of the jobs I apply for are flying positons so I list that I fly youths and teach aviation related subjects. I also list that I am a serach and rescue pilot. i dont put it under hobblies. I put it under the main sections

RiverAux

Quote from: O-Rex on October 27, 2008, 11:18:20 AM
Another bennie is putting Graduate, Air Command & Staff College in the 'Education' section.
I assume that the college also teaches courses other than the one available to CAP, and I wonder if the one we can take is really equivalent to graduating the college?  In other words, is what we do basically taking one of many courses available at the college and or would saying "graduate" misrepresent what we actually did?  Not trying to start anything, but am just curious. 

Fifinella

^^  Air Command and Staff College (ACSC) is the Intermediate Level AF Officer Professional Development Course offered by Air University, and, as such, it is both common practice and completely acceptable to list oneself as a Graduate thereof.

On my resume, such courses are listed under Professional Education, which category immediately follows Education.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Capt Rivera

Quote from: RiverAux on October 30, 2008, 03:28:00 AM
Another bennie is putting Graduate, Air Command & Staff College in the 'Education' section.
I assume that the college also teaches courses other than the one available to CAP, and I wonder if the one we can take is really equivalent to graduating the college?  In other words, is what we do basically taking one of many courses available at the college and or would saying "graduate" misrepresent what we actually did?  Not trying to start anything, but am just curious. 

You do realize that it was made for and is still used by military members?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

O-Rex

No, it is not.  SOS is worth undergrad credit, and ACSC is worth about 12 Grad credits (Unless you take the new ACSC Master's program.)

On resumes, you list your achievement first, then your school and completion date, i.e., Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Stanford University, 1997.

for a non-degree PME, you simply list 'Graduate'

O-Rex

Either you have a degree or you don't.  SOS is worth undergrad credit, and ACSC is worth about 12 Grad credits (Unless you take the new ACSC Master's program.)

Air University  non-resident programs are "lock-step" meaning you cannot mix & match: if you enroll in ACSC, you take the prescribed ACSC courses, and that's it. 

On resumes, you list your achievement first, then your school and completion date, i.e., Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Stanford University, 1997.

for a non-degree PME, you simply list 'Graduate'

Styles may vary, but I do not list schools or programs for which I am currently enrolled but have not completed, nor as an employer am I keen on seeing it on a resume: if someone is currenly going to school, I'll find out during the interview, where I can determine if they are actually pursuing the program, or are a prepetual student, so-to-speak.

notaNCO forever

On my resume I just put in progress were the complesion date for the degree would normally go.   

Hoorah

I think it would go good on a resume. :angel:

Beachjumper85

I feel everyone, that has either had (like myself) or still having a great time, making a positive difference in their community and/or country, should include volunteer organization involvement on their resume. In the case of a "Spaatz Association"---be prepared to explain what that is (keeping the explanation as brief as possible).
Myself; I list: Life Member, VFW. Life Member, National Eagle Scout Association, Life Member, MOPH, Retired TXSG and Retired Lieutenant Colonel,Civil Air Patrol. I've been told (as well as actually thought and asked whenever I was sitting in the hiring director's chair) that volunteer organizations such as Boy Scouts or CAP show "well-roundedness!!!" (As if to say, nobody wants to hire/be associated with a "workaholic!")

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Beachjumper85 on January 11, 2009, 04:50:31 PM
I feel everyone, that has either had (like myself) or still having a great time, making a positive difference in their community and/or country, should include volunteer organization involvement on their resume. In the case of a "Spaatz Association"---be prepared to explain what that is (keeping the explanation as brief as possible).
I think when you apply for any job, you need to do some research on the company/organization you are apply with (e.g. the culture).  In today's economy, many company's are looking for "workaholics" that will be on the job all the time, as need by the company/organization.  IF there's a hint that the individual is involved in too much outside of work volunteer activities  -- which could intefere with your ability to be on the job every day, you may very well find yourself not being called in for an interview.

Again, though, it's probably best not to get hired by a company or organization that thinks they own you 24 hrs a day 7 days a week (of course unless you are going into the military).   HOWEVER, for those that are looking for work, so they can support their families, it might be best to limit how much volunteer time (organization membership) listed on your resume.
RM