Main Menu

CAP on a resume'?

Started by James Shaw, October 22, 2008, 02:03:55 PM

James Shaw

I am getting ready to put a new resume' together and am wondering how others include any hobbies or outside activities on their resume. Would you include participation and membership only or would you include memberships like the Spaatz Association or Medal of Valor Association. How about where some applications ask if you have any awards or achievements other than work to list. Would you list any major CAP awards?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Cecil DP

Most employers ask about outside or volunteer activities. I would include it.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eclipse

My CAP activity has prominent placement right after full-time employment under the heading "Other employment / Affiliations" where I list my current assignment, special training and notable decorations.

This is also where I indicate my status as a state motorcycle safety instructor.

I want to make sure the expectation is set walking in that CAP is more than a few meetings a month and a weekend or two for me.

I've never had any issues, and its always been accepted as a positive from both the community service  management experience aspects.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Its on my law enforcement resume.  I list Sq. Commander, Asst ES Officer, and Mission/CD Pilot, and Deputy Commander for Cadets, plus a couple of my awards.  It shows I am an "active" pilot, involved with kids, involved in ES, etc. 

Capt Rivera

My CAP participation is groped with my job history. I'm a volunteer professional with a non profit organization and I help it run on the local level. I volunteer as much as what equates to "part time hours".

My CAP bullets are confirmed to have helped me get as many job offers as all my other experiences both civilian and military. (not combined though)

Know how to sell what you do. Don't Be shy about your accomplishments and include contact info for your supervisor or commander. (Get their permission and make sure you know they will be speaking positively of you, confirming the bullets on your resume)

FYI: Just accepted a full time NON-entry level job offer with AMAZON.COM working directly with their merchants(Business Partners). (Very well paying, Good benefits, good hours, etc...)

Good Luck!
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

RiverAux

In your case I would include CAP, but probably would not include the other CAP-related associations.  You don't want to clutter the resume up too much. 

lordmonar

I included my CAP activities on both my civilian resume and as part of my military evaluations.

Include it...especially if you can show leadership positions.  Remember to "translate" CAP's ES language into language the HR people for your particular industry can understand.

i.e.  "GTL for 3 years with 100 sorties" is "3 years experince leadeing 3-4 person teams in search and rescure operations"
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Carrales

When I first began teaching my resume' included CAP, since then, our unit has developed a relationship with the school.  We are now at the point where we are intergrating the Cadet Program into the culture of the school...first as an afterschool program and going on from there.

I would say put it on there, it can't hurt.  It might also bring opportunity in the future.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

notaNCO forever

I bullet point the points that have the longest most important sounding titles. Also anything else that can pertain to the job I apply for. I put it all under community service. It could go under something else but that is what I think is the most appropriate for my personnel resume.

EMT-83

I've been on numerous oral boards, and we always looked for something that makes an individual stand out from the other applicants.

Showing volunteer work and community service allows the employer to see the "whole package" and opens the door to conversations that otherwise would never take place.

I would recommend a trip to the library or some on-line research on how to put together a proper resume'. Some of the garbage I've seen submitted is unbelievable.

Pumbaa

I am currently looking at about 50 curriculum vitae's of Junior year engineering students at some pretty good Universities... and this is for engineering in an Electronic Warfare environment, you gotta know your stuff, and you gotta be able to work with people under intense pressure. 

Although by itself having CAP listed and the details does not make me think.. OH WOW LOOK AT HIM! It does give me an opportunity to see what type of interests, passions a person has, as well as what they are willing to do.

So seeing volunteer work, will show me that you are willing to go above an beyond, and not expect anything in return per se.  This shows to me a person is willing to work.  I also see passions, and what makes a person tick and that they are also 'go getters'.

Also, as listed above, I see the whole package...

Rob Sherlin

I would definitely put it on your resume! You would be suprised on how many people don't even know what CAP is! When a potential employer asks you what it is, and you tell them, they're usually impressed that you volunteer for a USAF affiliated group with great humanitarian causes, and you have one or more specialized skills. It also leaves the impression that you're trustworthy, dedicated, and well organized. You sell yourself on resumes and in interviews! Let them know it would not only be an exellent choice to hire you.....It would be an honor!!!
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

IceNine

If it helps to persuade to the yes column.  I got my previous employer to donate 500 a year to CAP simply by telling him it existed, and educating him on the missions and goals
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

ricecakecm

I work in the aviation industry and leave CAP off of my resumes.  I know that CAP doesn't always have the best reputation in certain areas of aviation and didn't want it to influence potential employers in a negative way.  I've gotten two flying jobs and one job offer that I didn't take since I graduated from college and haven't listed it on any of the resumes.

Stonewall

Here's the bottom half of page 2 of the resume I used to win my new "big" job.

So yes, I have CAP on my resume and they even asked about it in one of the interviews.
Serving since 1987.

O-Rex

Another bennie is putting Graduate, Air Command & Staff College in the 'Education' section.

flyerthom

Putting it in my resume covered this:

QuoteNRS 414.250  Membership in volunteer search and rescue or reserve unit of sheriff's department or Civil Air Patrol: Disclosure by employee or prospective employee required; notice of employer's refusal to allow participation during working hours.

1.  An employee who wishes to join a volunteer search and rescue or reserve unit of a sheriff's department or a Civil Air Patrol unit shall disclose that fact to his employer.

2.  If the employer chooses not to allow the employee to participate in search and rescue activities during his normal working hours, the employer shall notify the employee as soon as practicable after the disclosure is made pursuant to subsection 1.

3.  An applicant for employment who is a member of a search and rescue or reserve unit of a sheriff's department or a Civil Air Patrol unit shall disclose that fact to his prospective employer.

(Added to NRS by 1991, 828)

NRS 414.260  Membership in volunteer search and rescue or reserve unit of sheriff's department or Civil Air Patrol: Discharge of employee for membership prohibited; exceptions; civil remedy.

1.  Any person, including a government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government, who employs a person or is vested with the power to discharge or recommend the discharge of a person shall not deprive that person of his employment for any reason specifically relating to his service as a member of a volunteer search and rescue or reserve unit of a sheriff's department or a Civil Air Patrol unit unless:

(a) The employee failed to comply with the provisions of subsection 1 of NRS 414.250; or

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRs/NRS-414.html

I found that most employers are clueless when it comes to this but because it's in my resume and on application forms we are both covered.

OT NV CAP legislation

Anyone else in NV might want to review NRS chapter 413
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-413.html

NRS 616A.140 http://law.justia.com/nevada/codes/NRS-616A.html#NRS616ASec140

NRS 365.565 http://law.onecle.com/nevada/revenue/365.565.html
TC

Eclipse

An excellent point!  My state has a CAP protection law that goes into effect Jan 1 as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

tarheel gumby

I have included SlS and CLS in the Training and Education section of my resume, along with a brief explanation of what they are. I also include my instructor certificate for the American Red Cross. I have found the responce to that very positive
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

brasda91

I recently applied for a mngt position at work. I listed a comparison of my CAP jobs and how they correlated to the various staff positions at work. Made the chief realize the experience I can bring to the table.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

flyguy06

I put it under the Experience section. Most of the jobs I apply for are flying positons so I list that I fly youths and teach aviation related subjects. I also list that I am a serach and rescue pilot. i dont put it under hobblies. I put it under the main sections

RiverAux

Quote from: O-Rex on October 27, 2008, 11:18:20 AM
Another bennie is putting Graduate, Air Command & Staff College in the 'Education' section.
I assume that the college also teaches courses other than the one available to CAP, and I wonder if the one we can take is really equivalent to graduating the college?  In other words, is what we do basically taking one of many courses available at the college and or would saying "graduate" misrepresent what we actually did?  Not trying to start anything, but am just curious. 

Fifinella

^^  Air Command and Staff College (ACSC) is the Intermediate Level AF Officer Professional Development Course offered by Air University, and, as such, it is both common practice and completely acceptable to list oneself as a Graduate thereof.

On my resume, such courses are listed under Professional Education, which category immediately follows Education.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Capt Rivera

Quote from: RiverAux on October 30, 2008, 03:28:00 AM
I assume that the college also teaches courses other than the one available to CAP, and I wonder if the one we can take is really equivalent to graduating the college?  In other words, is what we do basically taking one of many courses available at the college and or would saying "graduate" misrepresent what we actually did?  Not trying to start anything, but am just curious. 

You do realize that it was made for and is still used by military members?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

O-Rex

No, it is not.  SOS is worth undergrad credit, and ACSC is worth about 12 Grad credits (Unless you take the new ACSC Master's program.)

On resumes, you list your achievement first, then your school and completion date, i.e., Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Stanford University, 1997.

for a non-degree PME, you simply list 'Graduate'

O-Rex

Either you have a degree or you don't.  SOS is worth undergrad credit, and ACSC is worth about 12 Grad credits (Unless you take the new ACSC Master's program.)

Air University  non-resident programs are "lock-step" meaning you cannot mix & match: if you enroll in ACSC, you take the prescribed ACSC courses, and that's it. 

On resumes, you list your achievement first, then your school and completion date, i.e., Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Stanford University, 1997.

for a non-degree PME, you simply list 'Graduate'

Styles may vary, but I do not list schools or programs for which I am currently enrolled but have not completed, nor as an employer am I keen on seeing it on a resume: if someone is currenly going to school, I'll find out during the interview, where I can determine if they are actually pursuing the program, or are a prepetual student, so-to-speak.

notaNCO forever

On my resume I just put in progress were the complesion date for the degree would normally go.   

Hoorah

I think it would go good on a resume. :angel:

Beachjumper85

I feel everyone, that has either had (like myself) or still having a great time, making a positive difference in their community and/or country, should include volunteer organization involvement on their resume. In the case of a "Spaatz Association"---be prepared to explain what that is (keeping the explanation as brief as possible).
Myself; I list: Life Member, VFW. Life Member, National Eagle Scout Association, Life Member, MOPH, Retired TXSG and Retired Lieutenant Colonel,Civil Air Patrol. I've been told (as well as actually thought and asked whenever I was sitting in the hiring director's chair) that volunteer organizations such as Boy Scouts or CAP show "well-roundedness!!!" (As if to say, nobody wants to hire/be associated with a "workaholic!")

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Beachjumper85 on January 11, 2009, 04:50:31 PM
I feel everyone, that has either had (like myself) or still having a great time, making a positive difference in their community and/or country, should include volunteer organization involvement on their resume. In the case of a "Spaatz Association"---be prepared to explain what that is (keeping the explanation as brief as possible).
I think when you apply for any job, you need to do some research on the company/organization you are apply with (e.g. the culture).  In today's economy, many company's are looking for "workaholics" that will be on the job all the time, as need by the company/organization.  IF there's a hint that the individual is involved in too much outside of work volunteer activities  -- which could intefere with your ability to be on the job every day, you may very well find yourself not being called in for an interview.

Again, though, it's probably best not to get hired by a company or organization that thinks they own you 24 hrs a day 7 days a week (of course unless you are going into the military).   HOWEVER, for those that are looking for work, so they can support their families, it might be best to limit how much volunteer time (organization membership) listed on your resume.
RM