State Legislative Members

Started by captrncap, September 18, 2008, 05:38:48 PM

captrncap

When I contacted NHQ to find out how this process works for a County Executive, they informed me that this category couldn't be used before he is not a member of the State Legislator.

According to the CAPR 39-2, he should be eligible as his is an "elected state official".

Quote7-3. State Legislative Members. Membership in this category is open to state legislators and elected state officials as well as key staff members.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of membership?

I'm concerned that we have "influential" politician who we would want on our [CAP] side. Why would we exclude that from this special membership?

Eclipse

Its intended for elected officials, simple as that.

While certainly appointed officials can be influential in providing resources and pushing missions our way, generally the elected ones control the money and related situations.

"That Others May Zoom"

captrncap

Quote from: Eclipse on September 18, 2008, 05:45:22 PM
Its intended for elected officials, simple as that.

This particular one was elected

NC Hokie

I may be pointing out the obvious but I would imagine that your elected county official is ineligible because he's not an elected state official.  As to being exclusionary, what's the big deal about being a member of the State Legislative Squadron?  Why can't he just join the local squadron as a patron if he cannot be an active member?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: NC Hokie on September 18, 2008, 05:59:57 PM
...I would imagine that your elected county official is ineligible because he's not an elected state official. 

Heh, I missed that.  Good point.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP Producer

Like Eclipse said "While certainly appointed officials can be influential in providing resources and pushing missions our way, generally the elected ones control the money and related situations."

Note that the legislative squadron is for state level elected/appointed officials.

In several wings the Director of the State Aviation Agency or Homeland Security Agency is a member of the legislative squadron.

A County Executive is not a state level official. A more appropriate recognition would be either an Honorary Membership or a Certificate of Appreciation.

Here is the cite from CAPR 39-2:

Quote7-7. Honorary Members. Honorary membership is a term of reference, not a category of membership. It is an effective means by which to enhance the image of CAP by associating the Corporation with outstanding citizens. Individuals in this category are members in name only. They do not participate in CAP activities, pay dues, or enjoy the privileges reserved for active CAP members. Honorary membership is limited to distinguished citizens such as members of Congress, state governors, mayors of large communities, high-ranking military officers, etc., and is used as a public relations medium rather than a token of appreciation. A certificate of appreciation would more appropriately recognize citizens of lesser community stature who support CAP.

a. National Headquarters must approve all recommendations for honorary memberships. Letters of recommendation will be forwarded through channels to the wing commander, who will endorse those in which he or she concurs directly to NHQ CAP/XPC for approval. The recommendation should include the individual's name and position, the reason the individual is being recommended as an honorary member of CAP, who will make the presentation, the date and occasion of the presentation.

b. National Headquarters will review the recommendation and if approved forward the honorary membership certification to the requesting unit (with an information copy to wing concerned) for appropriate presentation. If the recommendation is disapproved, it will be returned through channels to the originating unit with a statement indicating the reason for disapproval. Units requesting honorary membership for individuals should use care in revealing this request to the prospective honorary member until final approval is received.

Work with your Chain of Command to your Wing Commander for this type of recognition. Also get your PAO involved so the write-up is just right.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Capt Rivera

is there anyone here who has ACTUALLY been the POC, etc in setting up a legislative squadron?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

DNall

by the way... non-elected staffers are also eligible. These units exist to serve as a caucus in support of CAP legislation/issues. That's not really applicable to county officials. 

RiverAux

FYI, Rhode Island started a legislative squadron this year and may be able to provide advice on the current process.