State Defense Force rank

Started by flyguy06, August 12, 2008, 04:48:07 PM

flyguy06

I have a gentleman who is a 2LT in the State Defense Foirce. He is joing CAP. Can his SDF raank be recognized in CAP after he does his initial 6 mos.? I am not sure as I have never dealt with the SDF. He is very motivated and I dont want to loose him

Al Sayre

Simple answer:  No

Complicated answer:  Check CAPR35-5 he may be eligible for advanced promotion due to his qualifications.

(edit - fixed typo)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JC004

Right, there's just no provision for this. 

flyguy06

davidsinn

After 6 month's he'd be a second louy anyway.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Pylon

Uh, yeah, after his Level I and six months, he'd be eligible for 2d Lt anyways.  Any volunteer you'd "lose" because he couldn't immediately carry over his rank from the SDF is probably not motivated by the right reasons.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

flyguy06

Didnt say I would loose him. I said I dont want to loose him. You have to understand, my squadron is a little different than most in CAP. We serve a community where CAP is not known at all. So, When we get members it is important to try and keep them.

Lancer

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 12, 2008, 07:21:03 PM
Didnt say I would loose him. I said I dont want to loose him. You have to understand, my squadron is a little different than most in CAP. We serve a community where CAP is not known at all. So, When we get members it is important to try and keep them.

If they can't live with the fact that they have to wait 6 months while they become familiar with the organization and how it works then you don't want them in the organization anyways, regardless of how unique your squadron might be.

flyguy06

I never said any of that. he is a god guy and he wil be an asset to my unit. I was speaking hypthetically.

But you try and run a unit in my area and see how far you get

Lancer

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 12, 2008, 07:46:26 PM
I never said any of that. he is a god guy and he wil be an asset to my unit. I was speaking hypthetically.

But you try and run a unit in my area and see how far you get

You didn't have to say it, it was well implied. Any decent volunteer can be a good guy and an asset to any unit, just because he's a 'newer' member of a SDF, which is yet another volunteer group, does not make him anymore valuable then then next guy.

I know we've spoken about this at length in PM's Mike, but you seem to think that your situation is SO unique because your with an 'inner city' unit. I'm sure there are MANY other 'inner city' unit's that don't have nearly half the problems you describe on an almost monthly basis. 'Inner City' unit or not, I'm sure the supposed problems you have aren't that much different than any other average squadron in any other part of the country.

The rules are the rules and they work well for everyone. If you spent less time worrying about how to bend the rules to make things acceptable for yourself and others, and more time taking advantage of the tools available to you, along with some good old fashion PR, you'd be a step ahead of the game. You can't expect to just 'be' and have people do things for you.  Take the cadets you have an create a color guard, call local schools and offer to present the colors at football games, and other local events. Create recruiting posters and take them to local businesses and libraries. Have an open house. There are a ton of things you can do to  help yourself and the position your in.

capchiro

Actually, Flyguy06 does have kind of a unique situation that doesn't lend itself to public discussion on the board and I empathize with his predicament.  He is doing an outstanding job given the circumstances and he is due some additional credit for his time in the sandbox.  Anyhow, I can see where he might consider having a State Defense person as an asset as it might lead to some closer cooperation between the two organizations or at least a link between the two.  Flyguy, just have the guy join up and process his paperwork and get him through his level one and promote him after six months.  We will be glad to assist you with him if need be.  My DCS is very capable and up to date on all of the necessities.  Bring him over and we will get him squared away and you can promote him and make a big thing of it and he will be happy.  By the way, we are considering doing a UDF class on Saturday of September 6th during th Group One SAREX, so maybe he would want to attend that and get some of his UDF stuff out of the way?? Keep on keeping on..   
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Cecil DP

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 12, 2008, 04:48:07 PM
I have a gentleman who is a 2LT in the State Defense Force. He is joining CAP. Can his SDF rank be recognized in CAP after he does his initial 6 mos.? I am not sure as I have never dealt with the SDF. He is very motivated and I don't want to loose him

Bottom Line is that it has to be a "Federally Recognized" Commission. If his appointment was in the Reserve Components or the National Guard he would be eligible. "State Guard" doesn't meet that criteria. Good thing is that since it would take up to 60 days for Level I and a promotion to go through wing for a promotion under Armed Forces Officer"  requirement's and a Duty Performance promotion can be done instantly on-line, He's not losing too much time in grade. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

flyguy06

Thank you CAPCHIRO,
You know my situation and others dont.

I didnt mean for this thread to get outof hand. (AS CaptTlak threads usually do)Listen its not as big a deal as you folks are making it. I had a new member he is in the SD. He wanted to know if he could comein with his rank. I got my answer, he is still going to be a strong membr, Discussion is closed.
Once again, a loack of respect and dicsipline has been shown to me once again.