Main Menu

SUI - Finally over

Started by jimmydeanno, July 21, 2008, 06:12:04 PM

jimmydeanno

Our unit's SUI was supposed to be in February this year but kept getting rescheduled  (February, April, May, June, July) because of IG availability.

Well, we just had it and we are pending results.  I think that it went very well because I think we have an awesome senior staff [now, not 1 year ago]. 

I can only speak to my own area of responsibilty, but I had inherited it from someone who did it, let's say, part-time.  It was a mess, records were at his house, the Sq CCs house, random stacks of files, etc.

I've been our Logistics Officer for about a year now (on top of other things) and getting everything squared away was quite a challenge.  However, I was told by the inspectors that I had the most organized / maintained logistics section they've ever seen, which made me feel pretty darn good, considering the amount of time these particular IGs had been doin SUIs.

I noted a bit of skeptisism from one of them because of my age (26) (always seems to be a theme...).  He called me over - "Major huh?"  Then he started asking me questions about myself.  He says - "Do you have a rating in Logistics?"  to which I reply, "Yes Sir, I have a Master rating."

"Master, huh?  Well, this should be interesting then."

But I think the results spoke for themselves.  Our squadron is doing well, we've had a 44% increase in membership over the past year and have 5 new [highly experienced] pilots that want to fly cadets and start doing SAR pilot stuff.  Good times.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Tubacap

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

mikeylikey

26 year old Major.  For shame, Sir!

Apparently you have no idea what you are doing or else you would be a 26 year old Lt Col.   >:D
What's up monkeys?

IceNine

So when is the best practices book coming out?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Camas

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 21, 2008, 06:25:58 PM
26 year old Major.  For shame, Sir!
Apparently you have no idea what you are doing or else you would be a 26 year old Lt Col.   >:D

I've had the pleasure of meeting "Jimmydeanno" and I was present when he was promoted to major. He's quite an accomplished officer and NHWG has every right to be proud of him. He'll be a lieutenant colonel by the time he's 31 and I'll be one when I'm close to 70.

I can also appreciate the pressure that an SUI can put on members. Like many members I've been on both sides of the coin; a member of the SUI team and, of course, being inspected as well.

RiverAux

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 21, 2008, 06:12:04 PM
I noted a bit of skeptisism from one of them because of my age (26) (always seems to be a theme...).  He called me over - "Major huh?"  Then he started asking me questions about myself.  He says - "Do you have a rating in Logistics?"  to which I reply, "Yes Sir, I have a Master rating."

"Master, huh?  Well, this should be interesting then."
Not exactly a ringing endorsement of CAP's professional development program as previously seen by that inspector....

jimmydeanno

Quote from: IceNine on July 21, 2008, 10:37:29 PM
So when is the best practices book coming out?

The best practices book is already written (CAPR-XX), I just do what the reg says and make sure stuff is neat and organized and keep the paperwork in a centralized location.  But, I suppose there are plenty of LGs that don't?

I think that there are meaningful ways to improve your program/section at the squadron or wing, but most of them are just common sense stuff.  I don't think that sorting your BDUs by size or putting ribbons in one of those drawer sorters is all that spectacular, but apparantly few people do.

NINs LG I hear does a great job too.  I hear that she buys a bunch of plastic containers at the dollar store for each new cadet and puts together "starter kits" that include all their needed uniform items (including nametapes and tags). 

the rules are written already, all I do is follow them.

Quote from: RiverAux on July 22, 2008, 01:34:12 AM
Not exactly a ringing endorsement of CAP's professional development program as previously seen by that inspector....

I do sometimes wish that I could meet the people that give impressions like this, just to see what is actually going on.  Unfortunately, I don't get to visit many other squadrons, but the ones that I've transferred into always seem to be a mess.

I suppose that getting good competent staff is one of the major hurdles in this organization.  I think our squadron has an awesome staff - we work well together, aren't afraid to help each other, don't get caught up in the GOBC and get the mission done.

Looks like I'll renew this year :)

Quote from: Camas on July 22, 2008, 12:25:19 AMHe'll be a lieutenant colonel by the time he's 31

Only if I'm slacking :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

NIN

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 22, 2008, 12:58:51 PM
[snip]
I think that there are meaningful ways to improve your program/section at the squadron or wing, but most of them are just common sense stuff.  I don't think that sorting your BDUs by size or putting ribbons in one of those drawer sorters is all that spectacular, but apparantly few people do.

NINs LG I hear does a great job too.  I hear that she buys a bunch of plastic containers at the dollar store for each new cadet and puts together "starter kits" that include all their needed uniform items (including nametapes and tags). 

the rules are written already, all I do is follow them.

Hear hear. 

I know "Jimmydeano" and well, when he was a cadet I sometimes wanted to squash his head like a bug, but as a senior he's quite a good officer.   (for the record, the same has been said about me.  If I had myself as a cadet in my squadron, I'd have to kick my own ass..)  If the inspector was giving him a hard time, its probably because the inspector is not very "logistics savvy."

My LG manages a rather extensive supply program.  We own a 20ft Sea/Land container that's currently parked behind Wing HQ (grrr, need to get that moved) that's loaded with uniforms and supplies. 

The sorting exercise (uniforms, boots, etc) is just one tiny organized part of the whole program.  The really good parts are things like uniform recovery from separated members, providing easy access to uniform items for cadet and officers, keeping track of all our stuff, even the expendable stuff, etc.   

As a "side deal" apart from the squadron supply, she's established a working relationship with the folks at the thrift store at the nearby AF base and when she makes runs down there she comes home with boots, shoes, uniforms, service coats, etc, and re-sells them at a slight markup to cover her gas (ie. if a pair of shoes cost her $5 at the thrift store, she sells them for $6.  That kind of thing)

When we take on new members (2x per year, only!), as part of inprocessing we take $50 from each cadet for "insignia and doo-dads" (nametags, wing & squadron patches, BDU belt, BDU cap, collar insignia, ribbons, etc) and then order it all up from Vanguard.

(used to be that our database kicked out a fully formatted Bookstore order form encompassing everything we needed for the new cadets, but, well, since the Bookstore is no more and ordering from Vanguard is something akin to having bamboo shoots inserted under your fingernails, you can imagine that its not *quite* as easy as it once was.  The inprocessing database now just kicks out a nicely formatted list of items to order like "14 C/Amn chevrons, 14 CAP cutouts, 14 wing patches, 14 cap devices, 14 nametapes with the following names: " etc.) 

When all of that comes in, she picks up some little plastic tubs with lids at the dollar store, and puts each cadet's stuff in them with a label on the end of it.  Now the cadet even has a thing to take home and keep his/her doo-dads in! :)

(parents love it)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Tubacap

What do you use to run your database?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

NIN

Access. Its just something cheesy I jimmied up to capture new member information and print CAPF 12s & 15s (eliminates misspelled names, etc, due to handwriting)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JC004

Quote from: NIN on July 22, 2008, 02:48:03 PM
Access. Its just something cheesy I jimmied up to capture new member information and print CAPF 12s & 15s (eliminates misspelled names, etc, due to handwriting)

Gimme.   >:D

jimmydeanno

Quote from: NIN on July 22, 2008, 02:20:23 PM
when he was a cadet I sometimes wanted to squash his head like a bug, but as a senior he's quite a good officer.   (for the record, the same has been said about me.  If I had myself as a cadet in my squadron, I'd have to kick my own ass..) 

Ummm...thanks - I think :)

NIN [I think] was the best encampment commander that NHWG has had since 2000, he should do it again.  >:D
I'm just glad we stopped playing Sgt O'Grady's drill, it's for [explitive]...  ;)

davidsinn

Quote from: JC004 on July 22, 2008, 03:52:20 PM

2nd
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NIN

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 22, 2008, 03:53:08 PM
I'm just glad we stopped playing Sgt O'Grady's drill, it's for [explitive]...  ;)

Oh, you had to bring up THAT maneuver....

Phil's another guy whose head I wanted to crush like a grape sometimes. :)

You will note, however, that I never held that stuff against you guys when it was time for encampment staff positions or anything.  I might have wanted to boot you yahoos thru the uprights sometimes, but by and large you guys were good cadets.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Al Sayre

Quote from: davidsinn on July 22, 2008, 04:04:21 PM

2nd
Me too please
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

TankerT

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 22, 2008, 04:37:19 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on July 22, 2008, 04:04:21 PM

2nd
Me too please

Ditto! 

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

MIKE

Guys, If you want the file... send NIN a PM... that's what it's for.
Mike Johnston