Main Menu

ROTC

Started by JRESO, July 18, 2008, 09:04:14 PM

JRESO

Have a friend of mine interested in joining and he posed this question? Being fairly new I did not have an answer. Any help appreciated.

"I have 3 years of Army R.O.T.C. in high school and 1 year in college, is this helpful in any way? i.e.- credit toward rank, required training, etc?"

arajca

Is he joining as a cadet or as a senior?

If a cadet, reference CAPR 52-16, Chapter 6:
Quote from: CAPR 52-16
a. Accelerated Promotions. Cadets who possess two or more years of JROTC experience may qualify for accelerated promotions in CAP. These cadets fulfill the usual requirements for each achievement and milestone award (see chapter 2) under the supervision of CAP personnel, but are waived from the standard time-in-grade requirements, as shown below. To request a milestone award under the accelerated promotion program, cadets follow the procedures found in chapter 2, but also must attach to their completed CAPF 52 a memo endorsed by their JROTC instructor certifying they successfully completed 2 or more years of JROTC.
(1) Two full years of JROTC – The CAP cadet may be promoted at the rate of one achievement per month up to the Mitchell Award.
(2) Three full years of JROTC – The CAP cadet may be promoted at the rate of one achievement per month up to the Earhart Award.
(3) Four full years of JROTC – The CAP cadet may be promoted at the rate of one achievement per month up to the Eaker Award.
He'll still have to attend a CAP encampment. The reg allows for encampment credit for AFJROTC Summer Leadership School, but not for other services.

If a senior, no. The information is helpful, but does not count toward promotions or required training (SLS, CLS, etc).

JRESO

Quote from: arajca on July 18, 2008, 09:30:50 PM
Is he joining as a cadet or as a senior?

If a senior, no. The information is helpful, but does not count toward promotions or required training (SLS, CLS, etc).
Apologies, he is a Senior but you answered the question, thanks!

JROB

Does anyone know why NHQ only accepts AFJROTC Summer Leadership School for encampment credit
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

IceNine

because we are the Air Force Aux.

Every cadet should attend an encampment it is one of the most frustrating, rewarding, friendship building experiences you will have in this organization.

It also has the added benefit of breaking bad habits from Army drill and uniform wear and the like.

Getting encampment credit and promotions should be some of the lower objectives.  Learning the way we do things and developing through the program will ultimately lead to promotion, trust, growth, and respect of your will be subordinates.

All things in due time just be patient and take in everything you can.  Focus on learning what the texts require for your promotion, not simply shooting through them just because you can, this program has a lot to offer but you will miss a lot if you don't follow the steps.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

DNall

Quote from: JROB on July 24, 2008, 11:01:00 PM
Does anyone know why NHQ only accepts AFJROTC Summer Leadership School for encampment credit

The CAP encampment & AFJROTC summer leader course share the same mandatory curriculum, which is familiarization with AF & airpower operations, history, etc. That would not be the case at Army/Navy/Marine JROTC camps.

jb512

Hmm.  I wonder if my three AFJROTC leadership schools would count for clasps now that I'm a senior, 14 years later...

Only if I wanted the bling I suppose...

IceNine

I'm pretty sure the answer would be no.

AFJROTC schools count for credit but do not count as encampments, therefore don't count for the ribbon.

Essentially it is just like using SOS for RSC you can get the credit for the checkbox but you cannot say you've been to RSC

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jb512

You're probably right.  As a cadet I could get credit for them, but then the question is whether or not they transfer over to the senior side.  Although cadet encampment ribbons do transfer.  Who knows, and who cares...

b. Encampment Credit. Cadets who complete an AFJROTC summer leadership school will receive credit for completing a CAP encampment after submitting their graduation certificate to National Headquarters.

IceNine

I would read that as you would never be awarded the ribbon in the first place.

Again, there is a big difference in participation v.s credit.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jb512

And no, I'm not looking to try it...