Main Menu

Commonly Quoted Movies

Started by ThorntonOL, July 01, 2008, 08:32:44 PM

ThorntonOL

I've been looking through back posts and topics and haven't seen one that mentioned this sort of topic. (So far)
I've heard Star Wars, Monty Python and Major Payne quoted alot and heard some good imitations.
Any others that are commonly quoted or imitated?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

JohnKachenmeister

Stripes.  That's a fact, Jack!
Another former CAP officer

Trung Si Ma

Ronin.

"You ever kill anybody?

I hurt someone's feelings once."
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Eclipse

Col. Nathan Jessup, A Few Good Men:
Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a [darn] what you think you're entitled to!

Mel Gibson as Lt. Col. Hal Moore, We Were Soldiers

Look around you. In the 7th cavalry, we've got a captain from the Ukraine; another from Puerto Rico. We've got Japanese, Chinese, Blacks, Hispanics, Cherokee Indians. Jews and Gentiles. All Americans. Now here in the states, some of you in this unit may have experienced discrimination because of race or creed. But for you and me now, all that is gone. We're moving into the valley of the shadow of death, where you will watch the back of the man next to you, as he will watch yours. And you won't care what color he is, or by what name he calls God. They say we're leaving home. We're going to what home was always supposed to be. Now let us understand the situation. We are going into battle against a tough and determined enemy.

Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Captain Queeg, The Caine Mutiny
Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers...
(Heh, after several rounds of cadets sneaking food back to the compartments this Spring, I got to feeling a little like Queeg and his strawberries, myself.)

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

Top Gun:

I Feel the need, the need for speed!!

The Last Castle:

What should stop me from putting you in the hole, for say oh' six months?

Nothing, if that's how you want to win.....

Ronin:

You trying to save your skin?

Yeah, it covers my body.

More later

NIN

Sgt Maj Choozoo: "Hey, there, crotch rot, you gonna slurp lifer juice outta my own mug?"
GySgt Highway: (eyeing the mug) "Uhhh, I suppose I shoulda got my shots first."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

John Winger: "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Stephen a.k.a "Irish" in Braveheart

"In order to find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God"

"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure your fu$%@&"

"If I risk my neck for you, will I get a chance to kill Englishmen?"

;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D >:D >:D >:D

Tiocfaidh ár lá!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RickFranz

George C. Scott - Patton

You live for your country, let the other SOB die for his!
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Smokey

From Full Metal Jacket

Gunnery Sgt Hartman....What is your major malfunction numbnuts?

and ......God has a hard-on for marines because we kill everything we see! He plays His games, we play ours! To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls! God was here before the Marine Corps! So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

flyerthom

"We've gone to plaid!"  Spaceballs
"Smoke 'em if you got 'em" Dark Helmet  Spaceballs
"It's good to be the king" King Louie History of the world Part 1
"I don't miss treat my peasants - PULL" King Louie History of the world part 1
TC

AlphaSigOU

Some classics from Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb:

From Maj T.J. 'King' Kong (Slim Pickens):

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones. You sure you got today's codes?"

"Well, boys, I reckon this is it - nu-cu-lear combat, toe to toe with the Rooskies"

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas Vegas with all that stuff!"

"Well, boys, we got three engines out, we got more holes in us than a horse trader's mule, the radio is gone and we're leaking fuel and if we was flying any lower why we'd need sleigh bells on this thing... but we got one little budge on them Rooskies. At this height why they might harpoon us but they dang sure ain't gonna spot us on no radar screen!"

"Stay on the bomb run, boys! I'm gonna get them doors open if it harelips ever'body on Bear Creek! "

From Brig Gen Jack D. Ripper (Sterling Hayden):

"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

"Mandrake, have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water? [Mandrake: Well, no, I can't say I have.] On no account will a Commie ever drink water. And not without good reason."

Gp Capt Lionel Mandrake, DFC, RAF (Peter Sellers) and Col 'Bat' Guano (Keenan Wynn):

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: "Colonel! Colonel, I must know what you think has been going on here!"
Colonel "Bat" Guano: "You wanna know what I think?"
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: "Yes!"
Colonel "Bat" Guano: "I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think General Ripper found out about your preversion, and that you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts. Now MOVE!"

You can pull an endless stream of quotes outta this film...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Johnny Yuma

Gary Busey as General Joe Wheeler inRough Riders

"Them damyankee Spanish Mausers are hard to find, but we are finding them, we are killing them and we are advancing!"

"I shoulda killed that SOB long ago to keep him from breeding."

"Don't stand here on ceremony son, go on and kick 'em in the teeth!"

Full Metal Jacket, the most-quoted movie in the CAP cadet program going back to the late 80's. I know because I was there!

"GET SOME! GET SOME! GET SOME"

"Any one who runs is VC. Any one who stands is a well disciplined VC."

and a number of others which will not be repeated upon pain of banishment. >:D
"This is my rifle..."
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

MIKE

So, I can see that this thread has turned into a random quote thread as opposed to quotes found in your average CAP Talk posts.

Fair warning.
Mike Johnston

KyCAP

Mike-

"I like the way you talk".

John Wayne - Green Berets

:)

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

SarDragon

Quote from: MIKE on July 02, 2008, 03:16:21 AM
So, I can see that this thread has turned into a random quote thread as opposed to quotes found in your average CAP Talk posts.

Fair warning.

The OP:

Quote from: ThorntonOL on July 01, 2008, 08:32:44 PM
I've been looking through back posts and topics and haven't seen one that mentioned this sort of topic. (So far)
I've heard Star Wars, Monty Python and Major Payne quoted alot and heard some good imitations.

Are we really getting that far off track?  ???
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SJFedor

Quote from: SarDragon on July 02, 2008, 05:54:09 AM
Quote from: MIKE on July 02, 2008, 03:16:21 AM

Fair warning.

The OP:

Yeah, I don't think he meant just on CAPTalk, but in general.

As for me, I've been asking for a "liter-a-cola" quite a bit at sonic lately.  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

MIKE

Quote from: SarDragon on July 02, 2008, 05:54:09 AM

I think so... These kinds of topics aren't much more than post count padding anyway.
Mike Johnston

Duke Dillio

How about the whole line from chucknorrisfacts.com?

"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris."

"There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live."

OH yeah.......

Major Carrales

To follow MIKE's advice...

It would seem that most CAPTALKERS are fans of the following film series...

1) Star Wars (mostly the Classic Trilogy)- Especially in the uniform threads and during the last major "issue" we had.

2) Star Trek- Lots of TOS, especially Star Trek II:TWOK.  Still some TNG points make it.

3) 80s movies- Stripes, War Games et al.

4) Monty Python- Both original watchers and more youthful watchers

5) Forrest Gump- "That's my boat"

That's a good top five.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Johnny Yuma

QuoteIt wouls seem that most CAPTALKERS are fans of the following film series...

You haven't lived until you've seen an entire flight at an encampment chanting and the self flagelation (whacking themselves in the head with an encampment manual) while marching to chow just like the monks in The Holy Grail

Then there was the taunting other flights using the French soldier's insults.

"Your mother was a hamster..."

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Slim

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on July 03, 2008, 01:15:53 AM
QuoteIt wouls seem that most CAPTALKERS are fans of the following film series...

You haven't lived until you've seen an entire flight at an encampment chanting and the self flagelation (whacking themselves in the head with an encampment manual) while marching to chow just like the monks in The Holy Grail

Then there was the taunting other flights using the French soldier's insults.

"Your mother was a hamster..."

"I fart in your general direction"

Slim

CadetProgramGuy

A sparrow you say?  What kind of Sparrow?

JohnKachenmeister

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on July 03, 2008, 05:59:56 AM
A sparrow Swallow you say?  What kind of Sparrow swallow?

Thanks Kach!

JohnKachenmeister

I don't think it is so much that we are "Fans" of any particular movie or group of movies, but certain movies create shared cultural experiences.  In CAP, the cross-generational shared cultural experience of movies like "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" are particularly valuable.  They serve as a bond between folks in the same way that the salute and some of our military traditions do.

Some other quotes:

- You ain't seen nothin' yet!

- Here's lookin' at you, Kid!

- Play it again, Sam.  (Although this line is NOT in the movie.  He is speaking to Sam, but does not use his name.)

- Round up the usual suspects.

-  Nobody ever won a war by dying for his country.  You win a war by making the other poor, dumb SOB die for HIS country.

- Gentlemen, you cannot fight in here... this is the War Room!

- Do you want us to call in the police artist?

- Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life.

I'll bet even the cadets have heard these lines at one time or another, although they probably can't name what movies they are from.  (Or... didn't know they were from movies at all!)

Slim

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 04, 2008, 06:30:39 PM
I don't think it is so much that we are "Fans" of any particular movie or group of movies, but certain movies create shared cultural experiences.  In CAP, the cross-generational shared cultural experience of movies like "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" are particularly valuable.  They serve as a bond between folks in the same way that the salute and some of our military traditions do.

Some other quotes:

- Gentlemen, you cannot fight in here... this is the War Room!

"But....but.....He'll see everything, he'll see the big board!"

"Just like fryin' chickens in the barnyard!"

I really need to give that movie another viewing soon.

Slim

JohnKachenmeister

Doctor... Doctor!  Doctor.  Doctor... Doctor,  Doctor.

Slim

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 06, 2008, 12:47:48 PM
Doctor... Doctor!  Doctor.  Doctor... Doctor,  Doctor.

....and Doctor"

Slim

IceNine

"Those who know better, Know better"
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mikeylikey

From the BEST Movie of ALL TIME.......SpongeBob!

SpongeBob SquarePants: Take it easy, friend, I'm the manager of this establishment. Everything's gonna be just fine.
Phil: I'm really scared here, man.
SpongeBob SquarePants: You got a name?
Phil: Phil
SpongeBob SquarePants: You got a family Phil?
Phil: [can't speak, too scared]
SpongeBob SquarePants: [snapping his fingers] Come on Phil, stay with me, lets hear about that family!
Phil: I got a wife, and two beautiful children
SpongeBob SquarePants: Thats what it's all about. I want you to do me a favour Phil.
Phil: What?
SpongeBob SquarePants: Say cheese.
[Slowly places the cheese in the Krabby Patty while a sound like a heartrate monitor starts speeding up in the backround]
SpongeBob SquarePants: [after coming out of the Krusty Krab restaurant with the now smiling Phil holding a Krabby Patty with cheese] Order Up!

And......................
Old Lady: Come on kiddies, have some ice cream. I'll even let you pet Mr. Whiskers
What's up monkeys?

ThorntonOL

NY-292

RRLE

Dirty Harry

Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Magnum Force

Harry Callahan: "A man's got to know his limitations."

Lieutenant Briggs: Suppose they panic and start shooting?
Harry Callahan: Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot!

Harry Callahan: I didn't start shooting at anyone that didn't start shooting at me first.

Sudden Impact

Harry Callahan: Go ahead, make my day.

davedove

One of my favorite lines comes from The Princess Bride:

"You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

That ought to be applicable to more than a few folks in CAP. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ThorntonOL

I know some of these have been quoted at CAP by someone, Now are all of these been quoted at a CAP event or meeting night, or has this degraded into just movie quotes?
NY-292

CadetProgramGuy

C  a  n  t  '  t    r  e  s  i s t......

Doctor?

Cecil DP

Frankly My Dear, I don't give a d***
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

ThorntonOL

Where is this Doctor quote from, has it been quoted at CAP more than four or five times?

Please limit it to quotes that have become almost a tradtion in your squadron, group, wing, or encampment/bivouac.
NY-292

mikeylikey

Quote from: ThorntonOL on July 09, 2008, 03:46:50 PM
Please limit it to quotes that have become almost a tradition in your squadron, group, wing, or encampment/bivouac.

Perhaps you need a Netflix or Blockbuster account.  Go out and see some movies and start your own traditions.

Anyway......most of the time it is Cadets repeating stupid one liners from movies.  Last year I was like "where the hell did you hear that from"?  And they were like "oh it's from Superbad". 

So here is one from "Superbad".......... "I am McLovin"

What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 04, 2008, 03:25:58 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on July 03, 2008, 05:59:56 AM
A sparrow you say?  What kind of Sparrow?

Swallow.

What do you mean?  African or European?

An my all time favorite........No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: ThorntonOL on July 09, 2008, 03:46:50 PM
Where is this Doctor quote from, has it been quoted at CAP more than four or five times?

Please limit it to quotes that have become almost a tradtion in your squadron, group, wing, or encampment/bivouac.

I'll give you a hint.....Dan Akroid and Chevy Chase.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Johnny Yuma

WIWAC:

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Usually quoted when starting another 3:00am ELT mission.

The following were often used during SAREXes:

"We're on a mission from God"

"It's got a cop motor: a 440 cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is this the new Bluesmobile, or what?"

" Skip a bit, brother."

Psicorp

Quote from: davedove on July 08, 2008, 08:25:24 PM
One of my favorite lines comes from The Princess Bride:
"You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."
That ought to be applicable to more than a few folks in CAP. ;D

And

"Let me explain.  No there is too much. Let me sum up."

"I mean, if we only had a wheelbarrow, that would be something."
"Where did we put that wheelbarror the albino had?"
"Why didn't you list that among out assets in the first place?"

"What about the R.O.U.S's?"
"Rodents of unusual size?  I don't think they exist."

"Surrender!"
"You wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept."
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Psicorp

From encampment last year:

"NOBODY expects the CLS Inspection!
Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency....
Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...
and an almost fanatical devotion to the Regulations....
Our four... no...Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...
are such elements as fear, surprise...I'll come in again."
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257